S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood release cable replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 10:06 PM
Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Hood release cable replacement.

My hood release cable broke at the fitting on the latch. Boo Hiss. I read some of the archived fixes for this and tried one but it was not to be. On my 2000 model, there is no access from the bottom even with the covers off. After calling a body shop about it, they said either you get the hood open through the grill or your break the grill and open the hood. First, I ordered the necessary parts. 1. A new genuine Jag hood release assembly. $150. 2. A like new, used grill if I had to cut out the mesh grill or break it. Parts arrived and task began. Entire job took 4.5 hours. Tools: I made a tool to open the hood. Various sockets, 1/4" drive ratchets and 13mm wrench, PLASTIC body trim tools(they are sold anywhere in 5 pack sizes for under $20. Remove the windshield wipers, cowl cover, side shock cover, front cowl cover. Remove the bolts that hold the expansion tank. The tank will not move left or right, but it can be elevated if you ziptie it to the hood piston just enough to work under it. Mark and remove the front latch. 2 bolts. then remove the cable key. Use degreaser to clean the latch, NOT brake cleaner. BC will damage the plastic liner behind the grill. just to the right of the driver side latch is a riveted clamp that holds the cable. I bent it out and then tapped it back. You can also drill out the rivet and replace if you have tight area tools. Next, remove the inside covers. door sill and the vertical panel. Use plastic body tools for this. Even though it looks like a left to right removal, you must insert your tool between the door rubber and the panel and pry it toward the back. Then unscrew the latch release handle (two screws). after all panels are out of the way, fold the carpet toward the brake pedal. I used a rolled towel to place between the carpet/backing and wall. Worked fine. Then put in your new cable and put the car back together. Hardest part is getting the large plug for the floor in place. I used an oxygen sensor socket with a slot already cut to pushe the plug and then as my friend pushed, I use a long hose grip plier to wiggle the plug from the other side until it seated. Results were good and I didn't need the grill but I can't return it so I'll store it until someone needs one.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (10-16-2017)