S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 11:03 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Also,if i got a battery tester,would it be OK to have that hooked up to the battery at same time as the charger,whilst it's being trickle charged?

Old 02-24-2023, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,075 Likes on 1,466 Posts

Originally Posted by Archy
Even though you couldn't find any details on my charger,I'm presuming your advice would still be that I'm OK to use it,for what I'm gonna be needing it for?
Yes, it should be fine. It's an automatic charger, which means it monitors the battery state-of-charge and adjusts the output to match. The problem child is a manual charger, which has a fixed output and just keeps going full bore.

Regarding the hydrogen gas possibility,whilst dealing with the battery. As I've stated,I'm in ill health(lung disease) so I've not gotta great deal of puff to try blow any gasses away. But,with my car being outdoors on my drive,would it be sufficient,to open boot,lift back the boot carpet lid to expose battery,and leave it to kinda air for a little while,before starting to attach charger cables?
If your lungs aren't up to the task, could you use flatulence to your benefit? On second thought, methane is also combustible, so scratch that idea. The logistics might be a little tricky, too.

On a more practical note, you could wave a newspaper back and forth a few times to disperse any hydrogen. I'm not sure just letting the trunk air out by itself would be sufficient.

Also,i was thinking of maybe purchasing a battery tester. Just a kinda beginners/DIY'ERS one. To use in conjunction with the charger I've already got. So that i can test the battery first,to see where it's at,and give me a rough idea of how long I'll need to put it on trickle charger. I would appreciate your thoughts on that idea please.
I've got something similar. Cost me about $40 several years ago. It's been a great investment and helps keep an eye on overall battery health and state of charge. You must disconnect the charger to get an accurate reading. The on-screen menu should tell you to turn on the headlights for about 15 seconds (engine off) to bleed off the surface charge before testing. When a battery is at rest, a tester can give you a misleadingly high reading. This is especially noticeable right after charging. Applying a medium load for about 15 seconds before testing takes care of this little quirk.

it says you need to input the CCA value of the battery first. I think I've worked out what this is,but would like to know if I've got it right please.
Is that an Exide EB950? The part number is partially blocked. If so, that is 800 cold cranking amps as you are thinking:

Exide Excell EB950 SPEC

Old 02-24-2023, 12:51 PM

Ha ha ha,love it 😁 newspaper quality idea,I'll do that. Thanks for the reassurance that my charger will be ok. Yet another thing I've learnt now,about chargers👍And I'll definitely be buying 1 of those testers. And more great advice,on what to do before testing,as in putting the lights on. I'm learning lots on this subject about batteries that i wasn't expecting to. How the smallest of things can steer you wrong. Much appreciated. And yes,my battery is EB950. I didn't realise I'd drew over part of that code. But chuffed with myself that I'd worked out what the CCA meant.
Thankyou for today's lesson😉it's greatly appreciated as always👍 Hope you have an enjoyable weekend

Old 03-01-2023, 02:10 PM

Hi,further to the above. I got myself a battery tester,and have tried it on a spare old battery after charging it,basically just to get used to using it. And it's pretty much self explanatory on the screen when using it really. I've just 1 question,that i want to be 100% on. Am i right,in thinking my battery is classed as a REGULAR FLOODED battery? Thanks in advance for your advice

Old 03-01-2023, 02:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,075 Likes on 1,466 Posts

Am i right,in thinking my battery is classed as a REGULAR FLOODED battery?
It's an Exide EB950, right?

https://www.exidegroup.com/en/battery/EB950

It says "Technology: Flooded". So yes, that would be the same as regular flooded.

Old 03-02-2023, 04:06 AM

Hi,yeah it is an EXIDE EXCELL EB950. Thanks for confirming that for me,greatly appreciated 👍