S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrible Dealer in Nashville, TN

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Horrible Dealer in Nashville, TN

So I took my S-Type Jaguar to the Nashville Jaguar Porsche Audi dealer the other day to have them run a diagnostics to determine what the issue was with the transmission shifter, the shifter position lights nor the sport button worked. It was at first intermittent and started occurring right after we purchased the car and it finally quit working at all. I had been dreading and postponing taking it there due to a bad experience with the service department previously but I believe in giving people a second chance. After a couple of days I was called because it was ready and when I finally got in touch with the service writer or consultant from the service department I asked him about the work that was done. He explains that the mechanic had noted that the shifter knob had been previously installed incorrectly and that it was possible that it would come off in the future. I asked him to explain what he meant and he said that it had been stripped because it was cross threaded which meant it would have to be replaced. I told him that there was nothing wrong with the shifter knob when I dropped the car off and that I would have noticed it being on wrong. He said that it was either done by the dealer that sold me the car when the mechanic was trying to determine what the problem was with the shifter. I told him that they had not completely taken it apart that I knew of and would certainly not installed the knob on wrong as it was not the kind of work that would go unnoticed. He said that I was trying to assign the blame to them and I told him that he was the one trying to blame the other dealer. I told him that I had a problem the last time that they worked on the car and he told me that “We didn’t throw rice on the car and marry it, we just worked on it”. I told that I was hesitant about taking the car to them and he said “Well maybe you should‘t back again”. At that point I did not feel that I needed to be on the phone with him any longer and hung up. I called back and after a few tries actually got to speak with one of the managers (sales) and explained what had happened and he was supposed to let the general manager know about the incident as I was going to pick the car up latter and wanted to meet with the GM. I got there and asked for the GM and he did not know anything so I had to explain the incident to him and he seemed apologetic. He tried to explain that he thought the service person was not usually like that and could not understand why he would treat me as he did( I felt that he did not believe me and thought I was not telling the truth). I asked him to have our car brought out so we did not have to engage anyone from the service department and that I wanted the old part that was replaced. He said that customers usually did not request the old parts and it was simply a matter of trust and I explained that based on my previous experience I did not really trust them. Well he tried to get rid of us by taking us to the car and I again asked him where the old part was, he pretended to have forgotten and went inside to get it. While he was inside my wife had gotten in her car and said that the shifter knob was loose and it had not been like that when we dropped the car off. When the GM came out I showed him the knob after I took if off the car and showed him the threads on the knob and the shift level where it screws in, none of the threads were damaged that I could see. I am no Jaguar mechanic but I could tell how the knob was supposed to go on the lever on top of another lock nut that is supposed to be tightened after you screwed in the knob and aligned it to lock the knob in place. His reaction was “So you can fix it” and I told him I guess that I am going to have to since your people don’t seem to know how. He said that he would have to take the word of his jaguar mechanic’s 20 years of experience against that actual proof of his incompetence that I had plainly showed him. I could not believe that they had just charged almost 1000 dollars for a repair and did not even complete the job properly and tried to tell me thinking that I would not know any better that it was broken when I dropped it off with them and they were being nice by telling me to watch out for it. Are people that purchase their vehicles from them really that stupid or that just what they think of their customer’s intelligence? On top of everything else, they didn’t take the minute it takes to reset the clock when they reconnected the battery. I have never been to any dealership that had such poor customer service skills and lack of assuring that the work they preformed was done correctly (its called quality).

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 7,149 Posts

I can't read this.

Sorry

Cheers
DD

Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 AM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Paragraphs FTW. If you're going to type like that please provide a cliff notes version.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,006 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  19.3 KB

Wow......I get the gist of what you say, but find it unreadable!

Big blocks of text posted like this are usually ignored even, sometimes with no responses. You might want to revisit and edit to include several paragraphs so that it can be read? At the moment after several lines the words just become a blur.

sorry to hear about your poor experience though....

Old 08-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Chevy dealers can be asses too. Friend has Cobalt. Windshield got broke so I had my guy put a new one in for him. About a year later he devolops this terrible water leak on the passenger side. So he takes it to the dealer as it's still under warrantee. After a day there, they announce the windshield is leaking.

So, I call my guy and he says no problem, I'll take care of it. We get everyone together at my place and the glass guy asks for a cup of water. He opens the sunroof and pours the water in the drain trough. Imeadiately water pours out the passenger kick panel. He explains that he has seen this before. The drain hose got pulled apart in the frt pillar.

So now my buddy is pissed at the dealer. Obviously they saw the replacement glass and figured just blame the glass installer. When he called, the service rep had the ***** to get indignant. He said, "my tech checked it out and it's the windshield. If we have to diagnose it again you will be charged." My friend had to take a bottle of water with him and demonstrate to the moron where the leak was.

If some of these people would just spend the time fixing things instead of trying to pass the buck, everyone would be better off.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

I get the gist, but most people will not bother to read this.

My best advice is to go somwhere else in the future, try and find a shop that you have confidence in.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Why is the forum being so douchey?

I read what you wrote, and I'm sorry about your negative experience. Post the same review on every internet database you can like yelp.com and citysearch.com Also file a report with the BBB.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I read your post, and the lack of formatting is likely because you're pissed. I'd feel the same way. Some businesses have a culture of excellence, and some clearly don't.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Thumbs down Horrible Dealer in Nashville, TN (Reformated)

I have never claimed claimed to be an English major and was upset still when I wrote the post so please excuse me for not making it easy to read but hopefully it will be easier to read below. I did not see an optin for editing my previous post.
Thanks.

So I took my S-Type Jaguar to the Nashville Jaguar Porsche Audi dealer the other day to have them run a diagnostics to determine what the issue was with the transmission shifter, the shifter position lights nor the sport button worked. It was at first intermittent and started occurring right after we purchased the car and it finally quit working at all.
I had been dreading and postponing taking it there due to a bad experience with the service department previously but I believe in giving people a second chance.

After a couple of days I was called because it was ready and when I finally got in touch with the service writer or consultant from the service department I asked him about the work that was done.
He explains that the mechanic had noted that the shifter knob had been previously installed incorrectly and that it was possible that it would come off in the future. I asked him to explain what he meant and he said that it had been stripped because it was cross threaded which meant it would have to be replaced.

I told him that there was nothing wrong with the shifter knob when I dropped the car off and that I would have noticed it being on wrong. He said that it was either done by the dealer that sold me the car when the mechanic was trying to determine what the problem was with the shifter.
I told him that they had not completely taken it apart that I knew of and would certainly not installed the knob on wrong as it was not the kind of work that would go unnoticed. He said that I was trying to assign the blame to them and I told him that he was the one trying to blame the other dealer.

I told him that I had a problem the last time that they worked on the car and he told me that “We didn’t throw rice on the car and marry it, we just worked on it”. I told that I was hesitant about taking the car to them and he said “Well maybe you shouldn’t back again”. At that point I did not feel that I needed to be on the phone with him any longer and hung up. I called back and after a few tries actually got to speak with one of the managers (sales) and explained what had happened and he was supposed to let the general manager know about the incident as I was going to pick the car up latter and wanted to meet with the GM.

I got there and asked for the GM and he did not know anything so I had to explain the incident to him and he seemed apologetic.
He tried to explain that he thought the service person was not usually like that and could not understand why he would treat me as he did( I felt that he did not believe me and thought I was not telling the truth). I asked him to have our car brought out so we did not have to engage anyone from the service department and that I wanted the old part that was replaced.

He said that customers usually did not request the old parts and it was simply a matter of trust and I explained that based on my previous experience I did not really trust them. Well he tried to get rid of us by taking us to the car and I again asked him where the old part was, he pretended to have forgotten and went inside to get it. While he was inside my wife had gotten in her car and said that the shifter knob was loose and it had not been like that when we dropped the car off.

When the GM came out I showed him the knob after I took if off the car and showed him the threads on the knob and the shift level where it screws in, none of the threads were damaged that I could see. I am no Jaguar mechanic but I could tell how the knob was supposed to go on the lever on top of another lock nut that is supposed to be tightened after you screwed in the knob and aligned it to lock the knob in place. His reaction was “So you can fix it” and I told him I guess that I am going to have to since your people don’t seem to know how. He said that he would have to take the word of his jaguar mechanic’s 20 years of experience against that actual proof of his incompetence that I had plainly showed him.

I could not believe that they had just charged almost 1000 dollars for a repair and did not even complete the job properly and tried to tell me thinking that I would not know any better that it was broken when I dropped it off with them and they were being nice by telling me to watch out for it. Are people that purchase their vehicles from them really that stupid or that just what they think of their customer’s intelligence? On top of everything else, they didn’t take the minute it takes to reset the clock when they reconnected the battery.

I have never been to any dealership that had such poor customer service skills and lack of assuring that the work they preformed was done correctly (its called quality).

Last edited by JimC64; 08-17-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: line breaks
Old 08-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Default Still trying

I tried reposting it with spaces and the format did not stay when I posted it, maybe I need to add double spaces. I had never posted anything on here previously. I just read the information that everyone posts to learn about any issues that may come up so that I can be ready.

I am not going to bother you all with posting it again, I just wanted to share my experience with you in hopes that it will not happen to anyone else.

I agree that there are other types of dealers that are just as bad; I had a similar experience with a Chevrolet dealer that was working on a car under warranty. It is nothing against the car itself, my wife and I really driving it because of the way it performs and of the comfort.

I just don't know what is going on today that businesses do not appreciate customer enough to treat them properly.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM

I have posted this on a couple of sites as well as the facebook page for the three brands they sell. I also filed a complaint with the local BBB.
Thanks

Old 08-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Keep us updated , hopefully works for you .

Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I did not find HDmanny's post unreadable.
I am intrigued how this dealer mentioned can be a Jaguar AND Porche AND Audi expert.
Jack of all trades, master of none?
Quod erat desperandum.
Tip:- Before you hire anyone to work for you, or to buy from, Google their trading title plus "problems" and see what turns up. Could be a real eye-opener. I did it with Evans-Halshaw in UK.
Leedsman.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

sounds like too much work just to prove a point. It wouldn't have been a warranty item anyway. Dirt/debris/ and even loose hoses doesn't warrant a warranty repair. I would have just popped the hose on or blew it out and called it a day.

Originally Posted by Bodyman
Chevy dealers can be asses too. Friend has Cobalt. Windshield got broke so I had my guy put a new one in for him. About a year later he devolops this terrible water leak on the passenger side. So he takes it to the dealer as it's still under warrantee. After a day there, they announce the windshield is leaking.

So, I call my guy and he says no problem, I'll take care of it. We get everyone together at my place and the glass guy asks for a cup of water. He opens the sunroof and pours the water in the drain trough. Imeadiately water pours out the passenger kick panel. He explains that he has seen this before. The drain hose got pulled apart in the frt pillar.

So now my buddy is pissed at the dealer. Obviously they saw the replacement glass and figured just blame the glass installer. When he called, the service rep had the ***** to get indignant. He said, "my tech checked it out and it's the windshield. If we have to diagnose it again you will be charged." My friend had to take a bottle of water with him and demonstrate to the moron where the leak was.

If some of these people would just spend the time fixing things instead of trying to pass the buck, everyone would be better off.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Indie Jag Mech in Nashviille, Tn

If you still in need of a experienced and Jag certified wrench in Nashville, may I suggest Joe Robinson Jaguar Service on Magazine St in "The Gulch" behind the Icoh" bldg. His cell is 615-636-6393
Joe is a second generation Jag tech, formerly with the local dealer and has provided good service and excellent advice on my 03 STR. He was referenced by several friends with late models including other S types.
I have no commercial interest in Joes shop.
Phil

The following 2 users liked this post by PhilT:
JimC64 (08-17-2011), Pushing_Tin (08-20-2011)
Old 08-17-2011, 07:29 PM

If the mechanics knew how to and preformed their jobs then owner would not have to prove anything to them. Dealers tend to underestimate customers sometimes and do not realize that the people they are talking to may know more about mechanics than they do or some so called certified mechanics it appears.

In my case especially, as I have not only experience working on cars but was a shop supervisor with two mechanics that I would work with as well as trained. So I am often told something that I know makes no sense and they are surprised when I let them know that I n know what they are telling me is wrong.

It appears that they do not like to have informed customers that they are not able to make up excuses as to why something that was not needed was done or needs to be done. Or if the car is still under a warranty, why it does not need to be done or blame someone else for the problem.

Maybe I am expecting too much that I would actually get the service that I am paying for, what could I have been thinking to expect that from a so called Premium auto dealer.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by PhilT
If you still in need of a experienced and Jag certified wrench in Nashville, may I suggest Joe Robinson Jaguar Service on Magazine St in "The Gulch" behind the Icoh" bldg. His cell is 615-636-6393
Joe is a second generation Jag tech, formerly with the local dealer and has provided good service and excellent advice on my 03 STR. He was referenced by several friends with late models including other S types.
I have no commercial interest in Joes shop.
Phil
I appreciate the information and will keep his number in case I need something in the future.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaglover922
sounds like too much work just to prove a point. It wouldn't have been a warranty item anyway. Dirt/debris/ and even loose hoses doesn't warrant a warranty repair. I would have just popped the hose on or blew it out and called it a day.

Oh so you have a warrantee but you fix it yourself? The hose in question was behind the A pillar trim which also houses the side air bag. I'm in the autobody bussiness and although I certainly could have fixed it why would I assume the liability of messing with part of the SRS system for free. At the least, what if I broke the trim or attaching clips?

And it most certainly was a warrantee item cause they fixed it once someone else diagnosed it for them. If it was so easy, why wouldn't the dealer just fix it? No one was "proving a point". My freind just wanted the water leak fixed.

The thing that pissed me off is they tried to blame a trade person, much like myself, for their responsibility.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Can a threaded object not be installed so as to seem correctly installed but yet be cross-threaded? Once it was removed, would it be possible that the cross-threading would mean it couldn't re-installed correctly?

Did you fix the knob?

While I suspect that everyone got out of bed on the wrong side that day, the over-arching issue seems to be customer relations rather than the mechanic lying, cheating or stealing.

I suggest you may want to review the messages you've spread to kingdom come.
"Unfounded" nasty messages on the internet are actionable too and maybe could come back to bite you.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Did they fix the problem with the tranny position and sports mode lights?

Quick Reply: Horrible Dealer in Nashville, TN