S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horrid dyno numbers here I come lol

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:29 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Horrid dyno numbers here I come lol

Booked a spot next week for a baseline dyno pull of my STR. Its going to be on a hearthbreaker Mustang AWD dyno so I am expecting low numbers but oh well. Once I find a better dyno later will go to that.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Make sure it is nice and cool before you do it

Old 02-12-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't worry about the numbers being low. There is no need to go looking for a 'better' dyno, unless all you want to do is inflate your numbers.

The purpose of the dyno isn't to have an absolute measure of your engine's hp.

Instead, its one of many tuning tools used to efficiently mod your engine and see how the torque curve responds to mods.

So, dyno your STR for the baseline next week, get your print out, post it up!

Do your intended set of mods, and go back to the same dyno!

Your two dyno sheets in comparison to one another will now be an accurate way to represent and analyse any gains made.

How much horsepowers you're making exactly isn't important; the dyno is there as a tool for repeatable and consistent power measurements, in order to chart changes to the torque curve to assist in further 'tuning' and modification.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:01 PM

My mods are done I'm just trying to see where it's at at rwhp. Will probably dyno again on a less notorious dyno for low numbers later to average the two results to give me an idea of a more accurate number

I will probably dyno on an ego-boosting Dynapack later to average the numbers

Last edited by Under Pressure; 02-12-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Under Pressure
My mods are done I'm just trying to see where it's at at rwhp. Will probably dyno again on a less notorious dyno for low numbers later to average the two results to give me an idea of a more accurate number

I will probably dyno on an ego-boosting Dynapack later to average the numbers
I wouldn't mind the lower dyno numbers. Then, after you beat up on some poor soul in their SRT or whatever, you can then say, "I can't believe I beat you! I only put down 3XX hp on the dyno!"

Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM

I'm looking for, at minimum, 350 rwhp

Old 02-12-2013, 08:41 PM

That would be a terrific number, especially for a Mustang dyno. I don't think anyone on here has even hit over 360 with a pulley, intake and exhaust on a dynojet or dynapack. The available mods for our cars just don't do a whole lot.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:48 PM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

That's definitely possible. My last dyno run showed 355.2 HP/360.2 FtLb (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-thread-79842/). I'm ordering the Mina intake and will be throwing the STR back on the dyno after I install it so hopefully that number will increase a little.

Last edited by goblue90; 02-12-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by goblue90
That's definitely possible. My last dyno run showed 355.2 HP/360.2 FtLb (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-thread-79842/). I'm ordering the Mina intake and will be throwing the STR back on the dyno after I install it so hopefully that number will increase a little.
I remember seeing your thread, and I am expecting similar results. I believe you were on a Dyno Dynamics which is another heartbreaker, so my numbers should be in your ballpark. I do not have the Mina axle back like you do, nor the Borla resonator. Instead, I have Magnaflow high flow cats and resonated X-pipes so the numbers may change a small amount based on that. However, we both have the intake elbows and Mina 1.5 # pulley from what I understand

Also, I am doing my pull with 19" wheels . I am assuming you did your pulls when you still had the stock 18" wheels and my 19s are slightly less weight than the stock 18s so the results should all be pretty identical, maybe 2-3hp difference between our cars gievn all the differences. I will be video taping and putting up results to help the STR community here.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Underpressure, how they dyno your STR is critical: from a cold start, let her warm for a few minutes, Sport Mode on, gear selector in 4th gear, DSC off, A/C off, 34 lbs in the rear tires, then gradual increase of rpm up to approx 6000 rpm. You'll appreciate the Mina intake...does make a noticeable difference. Going to dyno mine after intake manifold gasket swap. Good luck.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by bfsgross
Underpressure, how they dyno your STR is critical: from a cold start, let her warm for a few minutes, Sport Mode on, gear selector in 4th gear, DSC off, A/C off, 34 lbs in the rear tires, then gradual increase of rpm up to approx 6000 rpm. You'll appreciate the Mina intake...does make a noticeable difference. Going to dyno mine after intake manifold gasket swap. Good luck.
I am def bringing notes from this forum on how people suggest dyno pulls being done, but I have a feeling at the end of the day they will be doing it their way. I am getting it done at Horsepower Logic in West Palm Beach (in case any South Floridians want to join me). It will be at 10 AM on Friday, Feb. 22, 2013.

I was thinking about pulling the ABS fuse. Thoughts? My understanding is that the STR is not dyno-friendly, but the front wheels are on rollers too so pulling the ABS fuse may not be necessary...

Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM

I am def bringing notes from this forum on how people suggest dyno pulls being done, but I have a feeling at the end of the day they will be doing it their way. I am getting it done at Horsepower Logic in West Palm Beach (in case any South Floridians want to join me). It will be at 10 AM on Friday, Feb. 22, 2013.

I was thinking about pulling the ABS fuse. Thoughts? My understanding is that the STR is not dyno-friendly, but the front wheels are on rollers too so pulling the ABS fuse may not be necessary...
As stated, make sure it is in sport mode and the pull is done in 4th gear with DSC, the blower motor, and lights off. You won't be able to get a reading below ~3500 rpm because when they hit the throttle the car will downshift into 3rd and give you useless results. Also, get there early! Let your car cool down for an hour or so if the drive is far enough to get the engine up to full temp for a while.

Pulling the ABS fuse shouldn't be necessary. I didn't (only had 2 wheels on the dyno as well) and the light came on, but went off after I drove for about 1/2 mile. The light coming on won't affect the performance of the car, it will just disable the ABS system as it recognizes a fault and will shut itself off when you drive away.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 PM

My car is scheduled for the dyno in 10 hours from now. Will let you kids know the status sometime tomorrow when I get the chance to log on.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

Do you have the Mina intake? Good luck brother. She'll do fine. Be sure there is not too much ambient heat and humidity (Florida).

Old 02-22-2013, 10:51 AM

The numbers were worse than I thought lol. THe tech asked me what my expectations were and I told him 350 based on Dynojet numbers I have seen on this forum. He said if its 350 on Dynojet its going to be 300 on his Mustang Dyno MD500 (its an AWD dyno).

And its was 313 lol...

He said that was on par with a 6.1 liter SRT8 Jeep they dyno'd the day before that had exhaust mods, as well as your run of the mill BMW 335i with intake/exhaust, and ECU tune. I am guessing this puts me around 420chp - 430chp.

I am going to see what an ETG tune does on somebody else's car here but that will be my next and final thing if its enough to impress me. I am happy with this for a daily driver with kids seats in the back lol.

For people's info, my mods include Qwikertz intake elbow, K&N panel filter, Magnaflow high flow cats, Magnaflow resonated X-Pipe, and Mina Gallery 1.5 lb pulley.

I will post videos and dyno sheet this weekend. Again, this was on the Mustang MD500 AWD dyno, and the temp was 82 degrees....

Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

What a p*ss-off!

Just for the record, I had my STR dynoed about 8 months ago, after a K&N filter, just to see where I was. Even worse than you, they measured 345 CHP on an AWD dyno machine! I had everything set up right (Engine cool, DSC off, 4th gear, etc, etc). Still have not received the chart, too far to go and too much trouble to get now.

My advice is to not let it get you down, and recall this quote:
Posted by GT42R:
Don't worry about the numbers being low. There is no need to go looking for a 'better' dyno, unless all you want to do is inflate your numbers.

The purpose of the dyno isn't to have an absolute measure of your engine's hp. Instead, its one of many tuning tools used to efficiently mod your engine and see how the torque curve responds to mods.

So, dyno your STR for the baseline next week, get your print out, post it up! Do your intended set of mods, and go back to the same dyno!

Your two dyno sheets in comparison to one another will now be an accurate way to represent and analyse any gains made.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Yup, not to worry about the 'low readings', I'm sure your STR is making a healthy amount of power for its mods, but be sure to post up the dyno sheet/print out of your runs for us to look at.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:20 PM

I'm not worried at all! I was happy to know its making same power as an SRT8 Cherokee w/ exhaust mods. I looked online and saw they are rated at 420chp out of the box so I'm fine with that. Heck, I am fine with the STR's stock 400chp lol. I'm not going to shop for a better dyno, I was explained what cars this is comparable to and my baby is 10 years old and much less money than the comparables! I've raced and beat an STI, SRT8 Challanger, and a chip tuned & exhaust 135i so I know I'm making good power.

My wife is a physique competitor and I do bodybuilding (going to retire that soon) so I've learned that dyno numbers are like getting your bodyfat measured - it all depends on who is doing the measurements and which calipers they use and which formula they base their numbers on and how many points on your body they inspect. I've seen people brag about their bodyfat ratios being lower than mine when you can tell by looking at them that they are not as lean. I take it with a grain of salt, and like dyno numbers its just used to moniter progress of your dieting.

I guess I learned something from all of this, as everyone says dyno numbers are worthless to measure final hp/torque and is good only for tuning and measuring changes (i.e., modifications).

My next stop - Palm Beach International Raceway for test and tune night. I am going to see what she puts down in the 1/4 mile....

And stay "tuned" for a video or two of hair raising dyno pull runs (my car sounds nasty lol) and a graph of the pull.

Last edited by Under Pressure; 02-22-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member

Concur: Your AWD dyno numbers are consistent with 420 chp. IS there a rear wheel dyno available near you? Pop on the Mina intake and freer flowing mufflers and do it again. I'm betting 440 chp.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Nice numbers, make sure you have really good tires before you go to the track, or you will be like me and spin all the way thru first every single time and ruin your times. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Horrid dyno numbers here I come lol