S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to do a oil change at home?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to do a oil change at home?

Has anyone done an oil change in 2001 s-type 4.0L V8? I have got the tools and supplies, but I was wondering if I can save a trip to a dealer. And does anyone have a diagram or blue prints of this car?

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!!!

Old 07-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

I'd love to think this is in the FAQs / stickies!!

Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,923 Likes on 3,223 Posts

bhurock, the oil change on a car like this is pretty straight forward. First, you will need to get the front end of the car up in the air some. Whether this is via a pit, using a jack to get one corner up a little bit, or up on ramps, that is up to what you have available. Next, with the engine slightly warm or warmer, remove the oil fill cap on the driver's side valve cover. Now, crawl under the engine and find the oil pan. With a pan capable of handling atleast 8 quarts (6 for the oil, 2 more to allow for some splashing), remove the drain plug and allow the oil to drain into the pan. Inspect the end of the drain plug for any metal shavings, then wipe clean. Once the oil stops draining, reinstall the drain plug. Now, slide the pan forward to sit under the oil filter(located at the forward end of the engine on the passenger side, pointing towards the front tire). Unscrew the filter allowing any oil to drop into the pan. Drain any excess oil into the pan from the filter.

At this point, pull out the new filter and pour about 12-16 ounces of oil into the filter. This is done to minimize the amount of time that the top end of the motor runs without oil following the oil change. Now, wipe the sealing surface where the oil filter goes clean. Install the oil filter. Tighten the oil filter hand tight, do not tighten more unless signs of leakage. Now, pour in the rest of the quart of oil used to initially fill the filter. Do a quick check under the car to make sure that oil is not draining out (silly check, but saves you from pouring 6 quarts of oil on to the ground by accident). After verifying no oil is dripping, pour in the rest of your oil. For reference, it should take 6.5 quarts of oil to bring the level to a proper point. Start the engine, let run for a minute or 2. Turn off the engine, check the fluid level and add oil as necessary to have adequate oil.

That is about it. just remember to save the oil, take back to your parts store and they will be able to dispose of it for you for free normally.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought you were supposed to use the old oil to kill weeds in the landscaping

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Here's how I did it.

Assuming your car is fairly similar to mine (an 06 S-Type 4.2), here's how I did my first oil change. I put the car up on ramps (Rhino ramps from Advance Auto). Then I removed the car's belly pan to gain access to the drain plug and filter. Putting my drain pan under the drain plug, I pulled it and drained the oil. I then installed a new O ring (from Jag) on the drain plug and put it back in. Next - I moved the pan under the filter, and, removed it using a strap wrench (It was on very tight). Since the filter sits sideways, I didn't put oil in the new one before installing it. I put oil on the seal on the new filter, and, used the strap wrench to install it to make sure I got a full 3/4 turn on it after the gasket hit its sealing surface (per the instructions on the filter box). I then put 6 quarts of oil in the engine, re-installed the filler cap, and started her up to check for leaks. Job done- and - I re-installed the belly pan, and, backed her off the ramps. Took me about two hours because I had to run out and get some replacement fasterners for the belly pan (several were missing), and, I wanted to look everything over good whille I was under there.

Hope this helps.

Oldengineer