S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Fuel Filter video FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 08:26 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by Anointme123
I am having my fuel filter changed this weekend thanks for the info on where to purchase. Also, how OFTEN should the fuel filter be replaced?
I recommend changing the fuel filter every 10K miles or yearly. This is a very cheap, inexpensive, easily completed maintenance item many owners neglect until an issue arises. Also, use new clips - some of the replacement fuel filters include them but they can be purchased at many auto stores on the cheap.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Hi Vance just a quick thank you from a Brit in France. I'm picking up my first ever Jaguar next Tuesday - 2004 (model year) S-type v8 4.2 - and because I'm so excited about the idea of having one, I'm looking at all the maintenance threads to fill in the time.

Yours is without doubt a quality thread. Using the video camera just makes understanding the job soooooooh easy.

Also having the tool list at the end was an excellent idea.

I didn't know the the clips changed, so I'm not sure which ones will be on my car. I would like to order a filter set asap, so if anyone can help there I would be grateful.

Thanks again for taking the time to do it right

Dave

Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Dave,

Vance580 sold his 2005 STR about four months ago. He still visits this forum occasionally, but I don't think you can expect him to answer any questions you may pose to him simply because he probably will not see them....

Old 10-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Dave,

Vance580 sold his 2005 STR about four months ago. He still visits this forum occasionally, but I don't think you can expect him to answer any questions you may pose to him simply because he probably will not see them....

Oh that's a real shame because his Jaguar-based video threads are very helpful indeed.

Dave

Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by thebiglad
Hi Vance just a quick thank you from a Brit in France. I'm picking up my first ever Jaguar next Tuesday - 2004 (model year) S-type v8 4.2 - and because I'm so excited about the idea of having one, I'm looking at all the maintenance threads to fill in the time.

Yours is without doubt a quality thread. Using the video camera just makes understanding the job soooooooh easy.

Also having the tool list at the end was an excellent idea.

I didn't know the the clips changed, so I'm not sure which ones will be on my car. I would like to order a filter set asap, so if anyone can help there I would be grateful.

Thanks again for taking the time to do it right

Dave
I still lurk just don't post as much since I don't have my STR anymore don't really have things to post about but still post if someone has issues that I had seen. I should of bust out the camera on my bike stuff because I just rebuilt an entire engine on one of my bikes but it was over the course of a week that it would of been a ton of footage to edit.

If yours is the same as the STR if you get the tool you shouldn't have to get clips. I changed my filter about 3 times when I had it and I never changed the clips. The tool allows you to take the line off properly without damaging them so you just slide the fuel line on the new filter and it will click when it's back on.

Did I do the filter on your S-type Jon? I remember the rear brakes and we were talking about the fuel filter but I can't remember if I did it or you did. If yours is the same I'm sure they are all the same.

Old 10-21-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Chris,

Always great to see you here. You and your STR are greatly missed....

Yes, we did the fuel filter change on my S-Type when we did the rear brake pads in August 2011 at your place. It was easy with no new clips required because you had the proper fuel filter tool. It took longer to remove and replace the screws and tabs holding the plastic fender guards in place than it did to actually change the fuel filter....

If you're ever interested in tinkering with my wife's 2006 XK8, let me know. There's always something to work on with it. I discovered yesterday afternoon that the lousy black plastic air intake tube running from the air filter box to the throttle body has holes wearing through it in the top of the accordian flex pleats. Another case of cheap plastic parts. Even with my discount at Leith Jaguar in Cary, a new one will cost me $117. A fair price would actually be about $20. I wish there was a metal one like your Mafioso STR intake tube. I don't care about upping the performance, I just want to get away from the inferior plastic components throughout these cars. I have replaced many plastic parts with metal ones on my S-Type during the nearly 4 years we have owned it, and it rarely gives me any trouble these days. My wife has had her XK8 only since February, so I am still in the process of trying to get it settled down although she has already put more than 15,000 miles on it. The lousy plastic parts continue to expose themselves, as do the very quirky electronics in the XK8. I hope I will have the XK8 settled down and sorted within the first year of our ownership....

Stay safe on your bikes and join us here as often as you can. We always enjoy hearing from you....

Last edited by Jon89; 10-21-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Chris,

Echo that, Vance. All over North America and now Europe. Your videos were one of the reasons I got my STR. If I ever win the lottery and money is no object, make room in your garage for another STR and all the video equipment you need.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Chris,

Yes, we did the fuel filter change on my S-Type when we did the rear brake pads in August 2011 at your place. It was easy with no new clips required because you had the proper fuel filter tool. It took longer to remove and replace the screws and tabs holding the plastic fender guards in place than it did to actually change the fuel filter....

If you're ever interested in tinkering with my wife's 2006 XK8, let me know. There's always something to work on with it. I discovered yesterday afternoon that the lousy black plastic air intake tube running from the air filter box to the throttle body has holes wearing through it in the top of the accordian flex pleats. Another case of cheap plastic parts. Even with my discount at Leith Jaguar in Cary, a new one will cost me $117. A fair price would actually be about $20. I wish there was a metal one like your Mafioso STR intake tube. I don't care about upping the performance, I just want to get away from the inferior plastic components throughout these cars. I have replaced many plastic parts with metal ones on my S-Type during the nearly 4 years we have owned it, and it rarely gives me any trouble these days. My wife has had her XK8 only since February, so I am still in the process of trying to get it settled down although she has already put more than 15,000 miles on it. The lousy plastic parts continue to expose themselves, as do the very quirky electronics in the XK8. I hope I will have the XK8 settled down and sorted within the first year of our ownership....

Stay safe on your bikes and join us here as often as you can. We always enjoy hearing from you....

Yea if you ever need anything done let me know. I still tinker with everything. I rebuilt the entire front end of the pick-up I bought and have been just enjoying that when I have to drive it which is only about once a week if that. My bikes are finally both running and ridable so I don't have any projects going on and shouldn't have any in a while. I rebuilt the engine in my one bike so that should be good for hopefully a long time. My other one had a stator issue (alternator on a bike) and I got that buttoned up a few weeks ago and last friday got fresh tires on both to get ready for the winter. This week I'm picking up heated gear just cause I want to be more comfortable then last year. I'd usually get a little cold after about 30 minutes of riding last winter.

Echo that, Vance. All over North America and now Europe. Your videos were one of the reasons I got my STR. If I ever win the lottery and money is no object, make room in your garage for another STR and all the video equipment you need.
If that happend I'd take requests and just rip into stuff. Hell I'd possible just rip it down to the block and rebuild it back up modifying everything and film every step so everyone would have video help for pretty much anything.

Old 05-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vance580
And I thank you I have actually used those posts a few times so far. They have definitly helped me.
I was a little shocked that my STR had different fuel line connections then this post from BugDoc https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...filter+replace
who had an 02 with a 3.0. Does anyone know if they changed them after the 03 revise or if the fitting in my video were an STR thing. Kinda curious cause then this video should help anyone with an 03 and newer.
Just mine done Vance on my 2003 4.2L not the supercharged V8 just the standard vanilla flavour. Looks exactly the same fittings on thr fuel filter as yours.
Mike
Brisbane Australia

Last edited by Mike Rossiter; 05-15-2017 at 06:45 PM.