S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to add an Ipod connection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How hard is it to add an Ipod connection?

I have a 2003 4.2L SType. I don't see an input for auxiliary items such as an Ipod cable. How hard is this to add? Any certain vendors?
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

You need the Jaguar ACM.

Search there's been tons talked about it. There's one in the for sale section right now. (Its not mine, but its cheaper you can get new).

Take care,

George

The following users liked this post:
Blue Lion (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

I've installed two ACM's. The second time was easier than the first!
The kit comes with all the parts you need and a comic book of pictures for instructions. Other than ripping your dash apart, (which is really easier than you might think) the hardest part is installing the module in the center console. The kit is about $300 from the dealer. I bought one from a member on the forum and the other from Nagey Jaguar, they both work perfectly. You will be glad you made the investment

Blue Lion (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

You may want to look at the attached file here to see how its installed. It fits the S types also. Part# C2C40513.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ACM Install 2.pdf (1.92 MB, 500 views)

Last edited by jag79; 04-12-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Blue Lion (04-13-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member

And here are better instructions as far as getting the dash / center stack apart.

Take care,

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
stypedash.pdf (619.7 KB, 344 views)
lyntis (07-09-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Just be aware that when you use the Jaguar supplied ACM you lose control of the the Ipod from the Ipod side. It's treated/emulated as a gigantic CD player. Everything is controlled from the Jag's system and that is limited to next track/prev track with no album or artist or song display. It pretty much sucks. If you can get a line-out interface for the Ipod then you can use the aux input that the ACM offers and utilize the Ipod's own interface as god and Steve Jobs intended.

Originally Posted by Blue Lion
I have a 2003 4.2L SType. I don't see an input for auxiliary items such as an Ipod cable. How hard is this to add? Any certain vendors?
Thanks.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Staatsof
Just be aware that when you use the Jaguar supplied ACM you lose control of the the Ipod from the Ipod side. It's treated/emulated as a gigantic CD player. Everything is controlled from the Jag's system and that is limited to next track/prev track with no album or artist or song display. It pretty much sucks. If you can get a line-out interface for the Ipod then you can use the aux input that the ACM offers and utilize the Ipod's own interface as god and Steve Jobs intended.
Bob,

Just FYI, the latest firmware update from Dennison overcomes that problem. (Locking out the ipod click wheel controls).

Edit: Info here:

http://www.jimrothe.com/jaguar/acm-b...are_for_iphone

Personally I'd google or check ebay for the Harman / Kardon Drive + Play kit. Intuitive controls and real display with a line output without having to fumble with a handheld device in motion.

Take care,

George

Old 04-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Cool. But I didn't want an Ipod anyway. So the Harmon Kardon works with the Nav screen based stereo?

Old 04-13-2011, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member

George, It looks like you have buy the ACM and the Harman Kardon controller if you have the high end w Nav screens stereo or am I missing something?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Veteran Member

Hey,

The ACM would still be needed, sort of.

What the drive + Play kit is is an alternative method of controlling the ipod. It gives you an ipod like click wheel, and a screen showing you what the ipod is doing.

You can either get the audio signal into the radio via the included FM transmitter setup (poorer quality, but no need for the ACM). Or via a direct line input to the ACM. I think it also adds an aux input as well. Much better than trying to control the ipod via the 5 playlists the ACM gives you.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

Playing with this stuff while driving is just plain nuts to me. I'm going to use playlists and random mix with my version 2 Sansa Fuze. I may add Rockbox to it as well. Just as soon as that's fixed for my version of player. These MP3 players are $50-60 bucks in 8GB form with up to a 32GB Micro SDHC reader and they sound great playing the Flac or Wave format. The base charger with line-out was under $20 so if I want I can play it through my receiver. But that's not my intention.

Hey, I'm not driving a brand new top of the line car with all the latest electronics on it. I wish Denison provided more capabilities for the Jag like they do for Audi but this won't be so bad.

If the new firmware for the ACM really does allow the Ipod to fully function then that's a great choice too. More expensive though.

I wonder how the Jags steering wheel controls will interact with the manner in which you're operating the Ipod from the Ipod's side?

Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Playing with this stuff while driving is just plain nuts to me. I'm going to use playlists and random mix with my version 2 Sansa Fuze. I may add Rockbox to it as well. Just as soon as that's fixed for my version of player. These MP3 players are $50-60 bucks in 8GB form with up to a 32GB Micro SDHC reader and they sound great playing the Flac or Wave format. The base charger with line-out was under $20 so if I want I can play it through my receiver. But that's not my intention.

Hey, I'm not driving a brand new top of the line car with all the latest electronics on it. I wish Denison provided more capabilities for the Jag like they do for Audi but this won't be so bad.

If the new firmware for the ACM really does allow the Ipod to fully function then that's a great choice too. More expensive though.

I wonder how the Jags steering wheel controls will interact with the manner in which you're operating the Ipod from the Ipod's side?
The way the ACM controls the ipod is as follows.

You get 5 playlists in the the ipod, which are specifically named.

The Radio reads these as Discs 1-5 (as if the CD changer is present)
All the radio displays is Disc X - TR X so the first playlist is Disc 1 track 1, after 99 tracks, it restarts to 1.

You can control the ipod with the new ACM firmware, now as far as the steering wheel controls, If you are in one of the predefined play lists, track up and down do just that and scroll through the playlists. (I think this works regardless of what playlist you have set the ipod to play). Volume works fine regardless (it just controls the radio's volume).

There is no way to get a line-in input into the regular, or navigation radio, without the ACM.

ACM gives you 3 options - The somewhat limited ipod control we described before.

RCA Jack line level inputs - you can connect anything you want to.

USB direct mp3 file playing either from a portable flash and or hard drive.

If you want another audio source into the stock Jag audio system, you need the ACM, bottom line.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

The way the ACM controls the ipod is as follows.

You get 5 playlists in the the ipod, which are specifically named.

The Radio reads these as Discs 1-5 (as if the CD changer is present)
All the radio displays is Disc X - TR X so the first playlist is Disc 1 track 1, after 99 tracks, it restarts to 1.

You can control the ipod with the new ACM firmware, now as far as the steering wheel controls, If you are in one of the predefined play lists, track up and down do just that and scroll through the playlists. (I think this works regardless of what playlist you have set the ipod to play). Volume works fine regardless (it just controls the radio's volume).

There is no way to get a line-in input into the regular, or navigation radio, without the ACM.

ACM gives you 3 options - The somewhat limited ipod control we described before.

RCA Jack line level inputs - you can connect anything you want to.

USB direct mp3 file playing either from a portable flash and or hard drive.

If you want another audio source into the stock Jag audio system, you need the ACM, bottom line.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

I know how the ACM works. I think there are other alternatives for the non-nav oriented radio though? It wasn't an issue for me so I didn't spend much time looking. So what I'm wondering is if the the Ipod will now display artist/album/track info while it's playing? It was just a blank screen before. I know nothing is going to show up on the Jag's touch screen. Too bad about that though ...

I have as yet to find any USB connector or even the main ACM box in my car. I just have the AUX-IN, Ipod connector and switch in my center bin. It was located where the install directions suggest to mount it. Until I find that USB connector any firmware updates are kinda tough ...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

couldnt he swap the headunit for less than 300 now?? i mean the kit and wiring is what 120 at the MOST? and you talking about 250 for a decent single din with BT and full ipod access..............then with the instructions found here and online, a few hours of time, and walla --------------------------- new radio

Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by phd12volt
couldnt he swap the headunit for less than 300 now?? i mean the kit and wiring is what 120 at the MOST? and you talking about 250 for a decent single din with BT and full ipod access..............then with the instructions found here and online, a few hours of time, and walla --------------------------- new radio

Not in an Alpine or nav car. Alpine car needs at least a 4ch amp and some passive crossovers (to reuse the stock speakers), in addition to the head unit.

Plus single din is gonna look like absolute crap in that dash, it NEEDS a double din, even if it doesn't have a screen.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member

I know how the ACM works. I think there are other alternatives for the non-nav oriented radio though? It wasn't an issue for me so I didn't spend much time looking. So what I'm wondering is if the the Ipod will now display artist/album/track info while it's playing? It was just a blank screen before. I know nothing is going to show up on the Jag's touch screen. Too bad about that though ...

I have as yet to find any USB connector or even the main ACM box in my car. I just have the AUX-IN, Ipod connector and switch in my center bin. It was located where the install directions suggest to mount it. Until I find that USB connector any firmware updates are kinda tough ...
We can always take your center console apart. There isn't THAT much length to the cables. I bet the ACM USB cable is tucked under the center console insert.

Yes with the ACM update, the ipod / iphone shows everything, and you can control it using the ipod's click wheel as well.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I think there are only 2 torx screws holding the center console storage compartment bin insert into the console itself. Should be able to pop that out in a few seconds.

I've had the whole works apart, the only thing that confounded me was getting the ashtray mount out. Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by The Chris X
I think there are only 2 torx screws holding the center console storage compartment bin insert into the console itself. Should be able to pop that out in a few seconds.

I've had the whole works apart, the only thing that confounded me was getting the ashtray mount out. Everything else is pretty straightforward.
Yeah once you've done it a couple times, you realize how remarkably easily these car's center consoles / center stack comes apart.

I need to find a local copy of the ACM install instructions. I'm wondering if someone decided they didnt "want" the USB, and possibly left a cable out, or if it is molded into the box.

Take care,

George

Old 04-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Veteran Member

I had all of that out too. Removed the touch screen as well.

No box anywhere. The wires just disappear under the carpet in the front and not into the dash either. But it does actually work as advertised! So I'm speculating that the box is buried under the carpet on the left side of the passenger (LHD) foot well.

I hope it is just a case of not connecting up a USB cable on the main box.
But I won't be using the USB for music anyway. My ACM doesn't have the little light on it. I've read that there were at least 3 versions of this thing. Is it possible that one version had no USB? Seems doubtful to me because that's the onlypath for all firmware upgrades.

The ACM instructions like all of their kits is almost useless. I think I've seen 2 or 3 versions. But they suggest exactly where to mount it. Whomever did mine ignored all that.

Last edited by Staatsof; 04-13-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to add an Ipod connection?