S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to headlight repair stype FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Joining the club after pothole

Well - it happened - after hitting the "invisible" pothole my R light went down... And thanks to Brutal and Vance - it was back up within a few minutes.. Thank you guys - that's why I love this forum...
For all the skeptics there - the fix works great - makes the light work as brand new - including self adjustment... And a warning - watch for a potholes - those lights don't like them at all... Happy motoring.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fantastic write up, what could be easier than this?, I looked up and I had the problem of headlights aiming too low, I haven't even noticed. 5 minutes and a couple of screws later, everything works better.
thanks

Old 06-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must also give thanks to both brutal and vance. I bought my STR in the daylight and didnt realize these were even broke till I drove it last night and noticed they both pointed to the ground. I seen this thread before i noticed the drooping, so i just said wtf, and had a small chuckle.

less then 5 minutes later Everything is back where it should be and it didnt cost me a dime since i have alot of different screws in my shop at work. I used an 8/32 1" screw and it worked like a charm.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks!
It was a simple fix, I did mine today.. world of difference.

Old 07-03-2011, 07:53 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default self leveling repair 2005 S-Type R

Fantastic information here! Damn glad I found it. I recently had the drivers side assembly replaced after I was struck by a suicidal deer. Since being repaired, the self leveling lamps have quit working and provide little help at night. I check the connectors to high beam just like in video and neither are broken. Will the screw fix work for me or am I looking at reprogramming or what? Thanks for the help and if I missed the answer for this in previous post, sorry for wasting your time.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

they have to be programmed with IDS/SDD @dealer, or shop with these Jaguar diagnostic computers if they stopped auto leveling

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
dlnga (07-03-2011), Under Pressure (10-04-2011)
Old 07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by dlnga
Fantastic information here! Damn glad I found it. I recently had the drivers side assembly replaced after I was struck by a suicidal deer. Since being repaired, the self leveling lamps have quit working and provide little help at night. I check the connectors to high beam just like in video and neither are broken. Will the screw fix work for me or am I looking at reprogramming or what? Thanks for the help and if I missed the answer for this in previous post, sorry for wasting your time.
i dont know if this will help you or not, but my driver side was also replaced, and they didnt work again until i disconnected the battery and then reconnected it. Now they work as they should all the time.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Another happy customer. Thanks to the inital poster, and the gentleman who made the youtube video showcasing the steps by the original poster. This looks like its going to be a great forum and I am glad I found it.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Default Thank you for headlamp repair

Spent about 5 minutes and one screw and now the road looks bright ahead (pun intended).

Jeff Sharp

Old 01-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

After about 9 months of ownership, due to "brutal" roads, my brutal fixed headlights w/1" screws failed...Somehow, the screw tip bored itself into the tab causing them to settle where they wanted, drooping downward...One "tab" broke yet I can still fix it...

So for a more permanent fix, force a screw through the headlamp, remove it, grind down the head...Or drill a pilot hole and a bolt vs a screw with a point...

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (01-09-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Another head light fixed, outstanding topic sir well done.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacardi 151
After about 9 months of ownership, due to "brutal" roads, my brutal fixed headlights w/1" screws failed...Somehow, the screw tip bored itself into the tab causing them to settle where they wanted, drooping downward...One "tab" broke yet I can still fix it...

So for a more permanent fix, force a screw through the headlamp, remove it, grind down the head...Or drill a pilot hole and a bolt vs a screw with a point...
at the point that more than the center adjuster post breaks. I recommend buying a headlight repair kit avail from motorcars and or ebayers. just heat the light in the oven for 10 mintues at 175* and pull apart the clear plastic lens from the housing and install new pieces in the kit. theyre made with much better non crumbling engineered plastic

Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Theres a youtube video on how to do this

Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Cream
Theres a youtube video on how to do this
Theres a jaguarforums post of this very youtube video on how to do this

Post #71 on this very thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
at the point that more than the center adjuster post breaks. I recommend buying a headlight repair kit avail from motorcars and or ebayers. just heat the light in the oven for 10 mintues at 175* and pull apart the clear plastic lens from the housing and install new pieces in the kit. theyre made with much better non crumbling engineered plastic
Would you have a link to one or more of these kits? I'm searching eBay and google and nothing comes up that looks like a repair kit for the weak adjust plastic parts. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms but any help would be appreciated as I think both horizontal and vertical adjusters are broken on my light. Left halogen assembly is actually aiming way high compared to right which looks normal, and there's lots of sloppy movement when pressing the back of the high beam rubber covers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Brutal
just so we're clear you do have hid stock? Cause otherwise i can wire them to be used in place of halogen.
Brutal, i dp not have HID stock, i have to replace my left head light assembly, s i was thinking of replacing both with eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices ,what is your advise? since it comes with ballast, will it be a normal plug and play or i'll have to change the wiring and program anything? thank you

Old 04-01-2012, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

No it's not plug and play. Third time you've asked essentially the same thing???

Old 04-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadieWingZ
Would you have a link to one or more of these kits? I'm searching eBay and google and nothing comes up that looks like a repair kit for the weak adjust plastic parts. Maybe I'm not using the correct search terms but any help would be appreciated as I think both horizontal and vertical adjusters are broken on my light. Left halogen assembly is actually aiming way high compared to right which looks normal, and there's lots of sloppy movement when pressing the back of the high beam rubber covers.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Try here Lamps & Lenses - Jaguar Parts and Land Rover Parts

Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Thanks Norri. Just what I needed.

Old 04-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Smile Brutal saved me $3000!

Thank you so much for coming up with this repair for the headlights! The dealer wanted $3000 to replace both headlight assemblies. Luckily a another forum member was at the dealer when I was there and showed me your post, pictures, and the youtube video.

I do not normally do my own auto repair. I am handy with a drill and screwdriver though. It took me ten minutes and a package of screws for $1.26 from the hardward store to fix my headlights following your instructions. I did drill a small pilot hole and then screwed in the screw.

Obviously Jaguar management does not understand that they would retain more customers by offering known fixes than gouging you for repairs. I love my car, but will probably never buy another Jaguar.

By the way, on the same trip they wanted $6000 to repair the climate control (Total of $10K on a 2004 car...). Jeff at Jaguar Climate Control did that repair for me for $299 including shipping. All I had to do was take the unit out and put it back in above the glove compartment. So for $300.26, great internet help, and less than an hour total, a non-automotive savy female repaired both problems! And thank you Cliff for advising me of both fixes!

Quick Reply: How to headlight repair stype FAQ