Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to headlight repair stype FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Well done!

Automotive forums (especially this one) are fantastic. There's no way I would have purchased and kept our two Jaguars without it....

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
They offer a head light repair piece that looks nicely made with a smooth rounded tip but how would you use that compared with the the "Brutal Screw" method? It's a lot more money too.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 2,192 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadeb
Thank you so much for coming up with this repair for the headlights! The dealer wanted $3000 to replace both headlight assemblies. Luckily a another forum member was at the dealer when I was there and showed me your post, pictures, and the youtube video.

I do not normally do my own auto repair. I am handy with a drill and screwdriver though. It took me ten minutes and a package of screws for $1.26 from the hardward store to fix my headlights following your instructions. I did drill a small pilot hole and then screwed in the screw.

Obviously Jaguar management does not understand that they would retain more customers by offering known fixes than gouging you for repairs. I love my car, but will probably never buy another Jaguar.

By the way, on the same trip they wanted $6000 to repair the climate control (Total of $10K on a 2004 car...). Jeff at Jaguar Climate Control did that repair for me for $299 including shipping. All I had to do was take the unit out and put it back in above the glove compartment. So for $300.26, great internet help, and less than an hour total, a non-automotive savy female repaired both problems! And thank you Cliff for advising me of both fixes!
just to be clear, alot of techs and dealers DO NOT know of this repair. Why would they, they sell new parts, not Billy Bobs garage I aint got no money repair shop type repair
I learn alot here and have a few of my own Jags to keep up. Plus I sell refurbed parts too to supplement my less than stellar pay at the dealer which has just managed to go down yr after yr while the cost of living has skyrocketed. We do talk to people about it here, but it also depends on the customer and advisor, Then theres always the "you fixed it and I want it warrantied also" that attitude will always get you a new parts quote, especially if you havent been a regular customer. You might be surprised how many in the public start crying "lawyer lawyer lawyer" at the smallest issue. We do alot of repairs and work with alot of customer as much as possible, but cheaper is not always better. Take for instance upper shock mounts made of urethane. I used to use these but not anymore as they just havent shown to hold up long term and in many cases alot less than factory parts. yes they cost less, but not when you have to do them again and then use the factory parts the second repair...

Old 04-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Veteran Member

Brutal,

could you address how the products listed on this website would be utilized to effect the repairs to the headlamps? It looks like it has a softer resting point than an ordinary screw would have?

Thanks

http://www.motorcarsltd.com/jaguar-s...mp-repair-kit/

Old 04-06-2012, 07:53 AM

^^^ they replace the factory plastic post assembly inside the headlight. problem with those is they include only 1 post for HID and all the needed pieces for halogen. even though you need to replace all the pieces in HID too if youre gonna go inside them. plus expensive. I buy off ebay from 2 people. either 1 in Aus or Polland. never had an issue with them and I pay the same for the 1 piece from motorcars except I get a FULL kit. Dont get me wrong I love Motorcars but I shop at the cheapest grocery store too

The following users liked this post:
Staatsof (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Brutal
^^^ they replace the factory plastic post assembly inside the headlight. problem with those is they include only 1 post for HID and all the needed pieces for halogen. even though you need to replace all the pieces in HID too if youre gonna go inside them. plus expensive. I buy off ebay from 2 people. either 1 in Aus or Polland. never had an issue with them and I pay the same for the 1 piece from motorcars except I get a FULL kit. Dont get me wrong I love Motorcars but I shop at the cheapest grocery store too
Well I'm beginning to understand. I'd like to see what a full kit entails. I had mine replaced about a year and a half ago but given the lovely roads back here I know it's likely to happen again.

Have an eBay link for the kits from eastern Europe?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Brutal, this may be a really dumb question, if so please forgive. My '05 STR came from California via eBay, and arrived with the driver-side Brutal fix already in place. I assume it's only a matter of time before the other side needs the fix.

My question - is there anything to gain (or lose) by going ahead and fixing the other headlight before it begins to droop?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:34 AM

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
here ya go Staats that both sides and both s and x type for anyone iterested in those as well. he ships postal and you have to sign for them to make sure you get them.
it takes about 10-15 days shipping but Ive never had issue.
@ Robin, no not dump and very good question. I would do them now if not broken. its like death. you arent dead now, but one day

The following 3 users liked this post by Brutal:
Robinb (04-06-2012), Staatsof (04-06-2012), usajay38 (06-23-2012)
Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Brutal, if you're still there, one last question...

I see that the kit from Poland allows a complete repair of the headlight adjuster. Does that mean for about $105 I could make both adjusters almost as good as new? If so, how do I find out whether to order the Normal or Xenon for my '05 STR?

Old 06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was an easy way to fix my drooping headlights.
Thanks
John

Last edited by usajay38; 06-23-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lights worked great last night.
thanks

Last edited by usajay38; 06-23-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM

Youre welcome, hit the "thumbs up" tab on the first post

The following 2 users liked this post by Brutal:
Amadauss (08-18-2012), usajay38 (06-23-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

My right headlight is a bit droopy while the left is ok. From what I'm reading here, doing the screw fix will still allow the lights to self-level by giving them a good pivot point. Am I correct in that assumption? If so, I might be drilling into them soon.

A thought though - Using a sheet metal screw is all good and well, but would grinding the sharp tip down to a round tip help the longevity of the fix? Just wondering before I rip into it.

Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi all, headlights are now drooping down and went to try the fix on utube and when trying to move them, seemed firm so thinking do not need the screw and something else. Also, here is a pic of the two adjustment locations for leveling the lights. Just want to confirm what I am showing is correct.
And now the stupid question, on my 2000 do I have a self leveling system also? Like later models. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by amadauss
hi all, headlights are now drooping down and went to try the fix on utube and when trying to move them, seemed firm so thinking do not need the screw and something else. Also, here is a pic of the two adjustment locations for leveling the lights. Just want to confirm what i am showing is correct.
And now the stupid question, on my 2000 do i have a self leveling system also? Like later models. Thanks.

no you have halogens not hids and only hids are self leveling. They can break and drop wedging themselves inside to where they feel tight to the untrained fingers

Old 10-22-2012, 04:57 PM
Received 1,425 Likes on 1,067 Posts

here ya go Staats that both sides and both s and x type for anyone iterested in those as well. he ships postal and you have to sign for them to make sure you get them.
it takes about 10-15 days shipping but Ive never had issue.
@ Robin, no not dump and very good question. I would do them now if not broken. its like death. you arent dead now, but one day
I purchased this set and installed them - good construction and gets the adjusters working 100% again...

Old 10-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

no you have halogens not hids and only hids are self leveling. They can break and drop wedging themselves inside to where they feel tight to the untrained fingers
Thanks Brutal. so I do put that screw in which will adjust the lights to not point down? Thanks very much for your help.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default State Inspection/MOT test.

Brutal,
I carried out the screw fix on RH headlamp (left was fine) the screw cured the droop, after a couple of days the self leveling stopped working, then strangly started working again.
I am wondering if you can adjust the height by undoing the screw?
the lights self level at the moment, but I think they may be a bit high and I'm getting the car MOT tested on Monday.

Regards

Stan
glad to help you out, this is why I like to do this kinda stuff.Yes there are times and people that only want it back to exact function and original. And those that FIX everything, and then the mixture of both. I always belive in save where you can, spend where you want

Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default More on headlamps

Brutal,
You seem the person that knows a lot about headlights,
On another thread I read that when headlamps point down they need re-programming at the dealers???
Have you heard this before?

stan

for those of you with broken headlights, heres the fast and good fix that works. If your headlights are broken and point down like grandma's t...well you know. Take 2 screws and install through clear lense behind rubber. See pic, the idea is to pin the assembly back to take place of the pin that broke inside. A screw about and 1" long works best if only the top post is broke, if totally broke top and bottom as the 1's I fixed in the pics, youll need longer..about an 1 1/2". Some have a chrome piece you screw into till it touches, these had a white piece with recessed hole that the screw went into and held. If you dont get the idea from this and the pics...well maybe you shouldnt try, but its better than buying new...

Last edited by Norri; 11-11-2012 at 12:09 PM. Reason: pics removed from quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,534 Likes on 3,943 Posts

In case he's not around right now he's said something akin to yes, if they've lost their internal setting. I think it's uncommon. Dealer tool can reprogram.

Quick Reply: How to headlight repair stype FAQ