S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you wash your car / or use car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 134 Likes on 5 Posts
Default How often do you wash your car / or use car cover?

I just got my 2003 Jaguar S-Type 2 weeks ago. I live in Atlanta where the pollen and heat are brutal. I'm just wondering how often others wash their car? It makes more sense to make it look better. Anybody use a car cover? Which type? I just want to take the best care I can with the car now that I have a nicer vehicle (compared to all the other ones I have owned).

Thanks in advance!

Sjuraud

Old 07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Weekly. More if you have stock pads.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 6,320 Likes on 5,507 Posts

I am wary of car covers, I can imagine all kinds of grit being pulled over the car along with the cover.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once a week for the wash.. garaged so no cover..

Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After highway drives of 50 miles or more to get the bugs and brake dust off.

Keep it in the garage with an inexpensive cover on it to keep dust off and to keep from bumping into it by accident.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Once, possibly twice a week. In between washes I use the California Car Duster (lightly) for the pollen, then finish up with Lucas quick detailer and some clean microfibers. I usually clean the wheels with detailing spray every other day coupled with some tire dressing thanks to the WONDERFUL factory pads! Can't wait to throw some ceramics on there.

Do not use a cover. Made that mistake with my Porsche, once.

Last edited by Bull27; 07-06-2010 at 10:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

my s-type (shhhhh...) gets washed weekly, and like Bull (hey...he's got a name - hi Joe!) I too use the quick detailing product after a few days on the body panels, especially if i've accidentally, where impossible to avoid a bit of water across the road (from irrigation and such). Wheels (yay ceramics!) and tires make it the entire week, unless I throw a long trip to Dallas into the week, then the wheels get a quick dry wipe.

No cover, only garaged.

Last edited by H20boy; 07-07-2010 at 12:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default How about a touchless Car Cover?

I ran accross this the other day but I can't seem to find anyone who's actually selling one. I like the idea but I'm not sure about how they've executed this though.

http://www.willpak.com/photo-gallery...over/large1-2/

Old 07-07-2010, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I ran accross this the other day but I can't seem to find anyone who's actually selling one. I like the idea but I'm not sure about how they've executed this though.

http://www.willpak.com/photo-gallery...over/large1-2/

Even if you found and purchased one of those, I bet the novelty would last a few weeks. Think of how much of a PAIN that would be to errrrrrrrr "set up", or whatever you do with those things. Better off just saving up and buying one of those outdoor garage/tents type thingys if you have a driveway.

http://www.portablegaragedepot.com/i...62680&catid=58

Some are even large enough to actually work on the car inside, and depending on the model, both ends should shut. I've seen a bunch of people with those, seem to range between $250-$500. You would probably spend $150 on a quality car cover anyhow.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Our S-Type gets washed every couple of weeks or so. Quartz is great at hiding dirt. I try to quick-clean the wheels (a small bucket of water, a wipe rag, and a dry rag - takes me less than 10 minutes) every weekend, but the brake dust is much lighter now with the Wagner ThermoQuiet front brake pads that replaced the OEM front brake pads not quite a year ago. No car cover here - I had one more than 20 years ago for my Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio Spider, and didn't like the way it trapped dirt and grime....

Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Unless ... you can't put one of those big gargae things in your driveway. I'm in a condo association and the car cover they would tolerate the portable/foldable one but the other thing no.

Also, I have several vehicles in storage garages and I can't always clean them before I put them away but with this I could cover without touching.

So the idea has merit I just don't know if it actually works.

Outside I'd be concerned about if it's adequately secured so that wind wouldn't move it around.

Their website is short on details.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM

Just making a suggestion, hence the "if you have a driveway".

I also own a condo and I am sh*t out of luck. I found spots that are most in the shade that I throw her in them.

All I'm saying is that regular car covers are terrible, a PITA to use efficiently, and constantly rub sand/dirt/grime into your paint. No clue about that "touchless car cover", maybe it works, maybe its a gimmick. Regardless I bet that thing would still rub in spots when the wind is howling, and that will give you a nice sandpaper look where it does meet the vehicle if thats what your going for.

Whats your main reason for getting a cover, the sun, or keeping it clean? If its the latter, become ONE with a California Car Duster and some detailing spray. If its the sun, I hear that, my trim around my windows are fading and I am NOT happy about it.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member

OH it's sun, pollution all of them. Basically, I'm looking for a collapable close fitting but not touching car port. ;>))

Birds are a big issue where I live too.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:29 AM

Hey thanks for the replies everybody! I'm also in the situation of living in a town-home with no covered parking. It's good to have the shade of all the trees, but the bird poop and the sap really get all over the car. Those are the main two things I worry about as they could damage the paint over time. I also have the quartz paint color. It probably hides dirt well, but that bright yellow sap definitely stands out on it. I'll take the advice of not using a car cover. I was already thinking it would be a pain to take on and off all of the time.

Where can I buy the cleaning stuff that was mentioned. Do they sell them at regular auto places like auto zone etc.? Any products to absolutely avoid using?

Thanks again for all the help for this newbie. It's greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Bull,

The discoloration of the chrome window trim pieces can be temporarily rectified with some simple chrome polish and then a coat of wax. I've found that such treatment lasts longer in cold weather, maybe two or three months. In blistering hot weather like we currently have, the treatment lasts two or three weeks at best. But it's cheap, easy to do, and takes maybe 15 minutes tops....

I attempted to get our local dealership to replace this trim in early summer 2009 while the car was still under the factory warranty. I was told that Jaguar Corporate quit doing that for "cosmetic reasons only" - there had to be an associated failure or defect as well, such as the trim coming loose or falling off. I complained by saying that in my opinion, Jaguar was being too chintzy and not honoring the warranty, but they refused to budge. I wasn't happy, but I've grown to accept the trim as just another design flaw that can be easily handled with some chrome polish and wax....

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Oops, I meant bright yellow pollen.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Basic wash once a week. Something more thorough every few months.

During the winter I use a basic car top cover so i do not need to spray the car with de-icer in the morning.

I got this off ebay for about £6 and it has lasted fine, is very soft so no scratches and I find it fits well. The two back hooks go into the boot and clip onto loops for a luggage net. The boot then closes over the edge, so it is not going anywhere. The front part does not quite get to the bottom of the widscreen, but is low enough to put one windscreen wiper on it. The two hooks then clip nicely into a recessed bit on the sill with the elastic going down the front door space between it and the front wing.

I see it got a terrible review off one person on Amazon. But mine lasted a terrible winter easily.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by sjuraud
Hey thanks for the replies everybody! I'm also in the situation of living in a town-home with no covered parking. It's good to have the shade of all the trees, but the bird poop and the sap really get all over the car. Those are the main two things I worry about as they could damage the paint over time. I also have the quartz paint color. It probably hides dirt well, but that bright yellow sap definitely stands out on it. I'll take the advice of not using a car cover. I was already thinking it would be a pain to take on and off all of the time.

Where can I buy the cleaning stuff that was mentioned. Do they sell them at regular auto places like auto zone etc.? Any products to absolutely avoid using?

Thanks again for all the help for this newbie. It's greatly appreciated.

California Car Duster can be had at most chains like Advanced, and the Lucas quick detail spray as well. It is more expensive than most ($8.99), but believe me I have tried expensive over the internet sprays, every Mcguire, Turtle Wax, F2 (or whatever) products, and every other spray out there, and it works the best. I have literally tried DOZENS of quick detailers, thats how often I use it. I believe its called Lucas Slick Mist, and its fairly new to the market I believe.

Jon, its not the chrome, dont have any chrome, its the black ribber and no matter what you put on there, there is no permenant fix, not even a reasonably temporary one. Its the black rubber surrounds on the side windows. Sadly, I think the only solution is to replace.....dont even want to know what that would cost.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:36 AM
d33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concerning the rubber, I have been reading on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk specifically this thread (but there are many more like it) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=176033 I am going to pick up a bottle and use this on the wife's car. If it works as it sounds, it should correct it.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,389 Likes on 1,884 Posts

Try Griots Garage for cleaning and detailing stuff. He is too expensive but does carry a great array of stuff in one spot!!

http://tinyurl.com/24mky29

Quick Reply: How often do you wash your car / or use car cover?