S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How often do you wash your car / or use car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 134 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again. The wife bought a few Armor-all products a few days after I got the car. I think she got one for the leather, one for the wheels, and one for the inside (can look later when I get home). Anybody use any of those products?

I'll definitely look into the other products that were mentioned here though. Still need to get a shammy and will definitely look into getting one of the CA car dusters.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by d33
Concerning the rubber, I have been reading on http://www.detailingworld.co.uk specifically this thread (but there are many more like it) http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=176033 I am going to pick up a bottle and use this on the wife's car. If it works as it sounds, it should correct it.
Thanks for the input, which one are you going to get, Einszett Gummi Pflege‎?

It just seems to me after one rainfall it will be back to normal, I dont know, I hope thats not the case.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there, once or twice a week for me on my A6 time permitting. Always, always clean the wheels and the tailpipes so brake dust and exhaust fumes don't really get the chance to embed themselvers.
No car cover for me...ever......way toooo risky IMO but each to their own obviously.
Sjuraud....don't get a chamois leather for your car, microfibre towels are the way forward to dry your car. While you're at it get yourself a decent wash mitt in place of a sponge if you haven't already

Old 07-07-2010, 07:06 PM
d33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Thanks for the input, which one are you going to get, Einszett Gummi Pflege‎?

It just seems to me after one rainfall it will be back to normal, I dont know, I hope thats not the case.
Yes I am going to get a bottle of that as well as 1z Plastic-Vinyl Cleaner followed by 1z Vinyl-Rubber Care.

your concern will be my biggest as well.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I wash mine once a week typically - a second wash if it rains or I get dive bombed by those pesky feather bearing beasts.

I picked up the Lucas Slick Mist about a month ago and I love this stuff! It works fantastic between washes and really gets my car looking great. Canadian Tire sells it for my fellow Canadians.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by d33
Yes I am going to get a bottle of that as well as 1z Plastic-Vinyl Cleaner followed by 1z Vinyl-Rubber Care.

your concern will be my biggest as well.
If you can PLEASE keep me updated would be much appreciated! Possibly some before/after pics? I hope this is more of a permenant fix.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Spitfire
I wash mine once a week typically - a second wash if it rains or I get dive bombed by those pesky feather bearing beasts.

I picked up the Lucas Slick Mist about a month ago and I love this stuff! It works fantastic between washes and really gets my car looking great. Canadian Tire sells it for my fellow Canadians.

Yep thats the stuff! Smells good too, almost like bubble gum...

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 PM
d33

If you can PLEASE keep me updated would be much appreciated! Possibly some before/after pics? I hope this is more of a permenant fix.
Just orded the 3 items, will let you know.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
Received 134 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the advice JimC64. I'll stop by an auto store later today to pick some of those up.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Ira
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

>The discoloration of the chrome window trim pieces can be temporarily rectified with some simple chrome polish and then a coat of wax.<

Hot sun causes the usual car polish to form a white haze. I have found that I can use a good black shoe polish to overcome the whiteness.

I spit shined the trim over a month ago and it is still shiny black.

I don't have a garage, so I use a car cover to keep off the bird droppings, leaves, tree sap, etc.

Car is washed about twice a month.

Ira

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

I try to wash all my vehicles semi-annually, but sometimes I get lazy.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ira
>The discoloration of the chrome window trim pieces can be temporarily rectified with some simple chrome polish and then a coat of wax.<

Hot sun causes the usual car polish to form a white haze. I have found that I can use a good black shoe polish to overcome the whiteness.

I spit shined the trim over a month ago and it is still shiny black.

I don't have a garage, so I use a car cover to keep off the bird droppings, leaves, tree sap, etc.

Car is washed about twice a month.

Ira
So you used shoe polish on pieces like this:

Name:  utf-8BSU1BRzAwNjguanBn.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  88.0 KB

Old 07-25-2010, 04:07 PM

Sounds like many of us are on the same page. My car is garaged and washed at least once a week no matter what. It's not a daily runner so it stays looking good and the miles are low too. .I'm a car freak and love to keep it looking good inside and out. Anybody have any experiences to share with leather care ?

Old 07-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flyer621
Sounds like many of us are on the same page. My car is garaged and washed at least once a week no matter what. It's not a daily runner so it stays looking good and the miles are low too. .I'm a car freak and love to keep it looking good inside and out. Anybody have any experiences to share with leather care ?
Leather care is a PITA for me. Being on a slight budget, I use Lexoil Leather Cleaner and Protectant. With a little elbow grease, it works fine. I apply it about once every 6 months or so. Seems to work okay. I should probably do it more often, but time doesn't permit.

If your car sits in a garage for extended periods throughtout the week, you are probably good with any wash/wax/interior care plan. I am envious. Mine right now is a daily driver......

Old 07-25-2010, 08:25 PM

Thanks Floridajag for the info. I'll give it a try

Old 07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default re:Leather Care

I have a 2001 with 67000 miles - I use Zaino Leather In A Bottle - available through their website. It is hands-down the best product I've used - not because it is an especially great leather product, but because the smell is awesome. When people get in they immediately notice and comment on the "new car" smell that is fresh, leather and smells great. I can't tell much of a difference in products for leather other than viscosity - they all seem to absorb in and the leather stays supple. The tire product they have is also first class. They have a whole line of really specific wax and shine products which I use as well. Came across them on another website and went with comments from others. Pricey but I'm pleased with the results.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 PM

i dont have my s type yet but when i do i'll wash it everytime it gets dirty

Old 08-08-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I use Forever black for the rubber trim round the windows. Each application lasts for a few months and each time I use it again it covers easier than the last time.

http://www.foreverblack.com/products.html

Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks Delta, prob will give that a whirl next time I re-up on my car care products.

D33- How were your results???

RE: Leather care: I use Surf City Voodoo Leather, works well. I would REALLY like to find a product that is not so shiny though. Maybe its just the charcoal/black leather but I dont like the shiny leather look. Anyone use anything that leaves a "new car" finish instead of a greasy/shiny finish?

Old 08-09-2010, 01:51 PM
d33

Thanks Delta, prob will give that a whirl next time I re-up on my car care products.

D33- How were your results???

RE: Leather care: I use Surf City Voodoo Leather, works well. I would REALLY like to find a product that is not so shiny though. Maybe its just the charcoal/black leather but I dont like the shiny leather look. Anyone use anything that leaves a "new car" finish instead of a greasy/shiny finish?
results were terrible :P didnt even notice a difference at all.

Quick Reply: How often do you wash your car / or use car cover?