S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to program garage door opener?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How to program garage door opener?

Do you have your owner's manual?? If so, which point of instruction is the stumper? For me, it was clearing out the old memory in the car before programming my GDO into it. I found I was not holding the two outer buttons in long enough on the visor to clear the memory. Once I held them in long enough (seemed like 30-45 seconds), it (the display light on the Home Link on visor) FINALLY blinked like it was supposed to letting me know I did it right and wiped out the old codes. Next I had to trigger the "learn" mode on my GDO head unit and then run back into car to program the button to "learn" the codes from my GDO. Was easy once I erased the old codes in the car Home Link. Until I did that, I bet I spent 2-3 hours putzin with that damn thing.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 AM

Boy, sure sounds like the same issue I fought with on mine. . . I kept thinking I cleared out the old codes, when in fact I didn't . . . after SEVERAL hours, I finally REALLY cleared out old codes and the "learn" process with head unit of GDO worked first time . . . I never could get the GDO remote to teach the visor . . . try erasing the old codes in visor again, holding both outer buttons for a very long time, and you will see a different type of blinking that will feel like a revalation and you will know that something "different" happened, and then use the "learn" button on head unit again . . . Good Luck . .

Old 09-18-2008, 05:31 AM

As I remember, when I finally cleared the old codes, the light on the visor blinked noticeably faster than what I had experienced previously when the codes did not clear . . . hope this helps . . . it is frustrating for sure . . . if all else fails, visit local Jag dealer for help . . . maybe they can just make sure that stored codes are cleared . . .

Old 09-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Some garage doors such as Genie have something called Intellicode or Rolling Codes or something like that... On those garage doors you have to go into you garage and open up the box hanging from the ceiling and press the "learn" button.. after you do that you get back into your car (within 30 seconds) and press the newly programmed button in your car and the box in your garage will allow your car to learn the code for your specific garage door opener..

It's a security feature because older garage doors were very easy to hack and could be opened with certain types of remotes (dont ask me how i know ) Not sure what brand your garage door is, or if this is the case with your particular opener, but suggestions never hurt...

The following users liked this post:
01S-Type2021 (08-03-2021)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gave up trying to program the opener. I just use my garage door opener.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Genie garage door opener and recently programmed mine. You have to first clear any codes that might be already programmed, then program in your current remote and then program from the actual garage door opener device. I had to click on my Jag several times so that it would accept the program.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Detailed directions from Homelink for anyone that may have lost their manual...

1. For first time training, press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons, releasing only when the HomeLink indicator light begins to flash after 20 seconds. (Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons.)
2. Position the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches away from the HomeLink surface (located on your overhead), keeping the HomeLink indicator light in view.
3. Using both hands, simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and hand held transmitter button. DO NOT release until the HomeLink indicator light flashes slowly and then rapidly. When the indicator light flashes rapidly, both buttons may be released. (The rapid flashing indicates successful training.)

Note: Some garage door openers may require you to replace step 3 with the “cycling†procedure noted in the “View Canadian Instructions†section.
4. Press and hold the trained HomeLink button and observe the indicator light.

* If the indicator light is solid/continuous, training is complete and your device should activate when the HomeLink button is pressed and released.
* If the indicator light blinks rapidly for 2 seconds and then turns a solid/continuous light, proceed with the following training instructions for a rolling code device. A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps.

5. At the garage door opener receiver (motorhead unit) in the garage, locate the “learn†or “smart†button (usually near where the hanging antenna wire is attached to the unit). If there is difficulty locating the training button, reference the garage door opener’s manual or contact us.
6. Press and release the “learn†or “smart†button (the name and color of the button may vary by manufacturer). NOTE: Once the button is pressed, there are 30 seconds in which to initiate the next step.
7. Return to the vehicle and firmly press and hold the trained HomeLink button for two seconds and release. Repeat the “press/hold/release†sequence up to 3 times to complete the training process.

The following 3 users liked this post by whiteSTR:
Jennifer S Flavell (12-15-2015), real22uu (08-05-2014), Tauni_XK8 (06-12-2014)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 PM

I held down the 2 outer HomeLink buttons for about 30 seconds until the light blinked rapidly showing the old programming was deleted. I then used the Learn button on the door opener in the garage. Within 30 seconds after pressing that button, I got into the car and pressed the HomeLink button 1 for 2 seconds. It worked the first time.

I did only have luck with button 1 for some reason. You have to press the button for about 2-3 seconds for it to open up the garage door, but it does work and its so convenient. My garage door opener is made by some company called "Chamberlain".

Old 05-02-2012, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Garage door Homelink

XK8 2005 with Genie opener.

Press buttons 1&3 in the car Homelink until the light flashes.
Press and hold your choice of Homelink button while holding the opener button simultaneously .
Hold until the solid light flashes on the Homelink
Immediately get out of the car and press the learn button on the opener motor in the garage.
Then immediately press your chosen Homelink button again, then you are done.
Pat yourself on the back.

ElJaguar (08-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,354 Likes on 1,854 Posts

Your problem is the garage door opener itself. Look in the previous messages.

What the problem is you have a rolling code garage door opener. Unless you follow the directions given by whiteSTR you will NEVER get it to work. I have found using two people makes it pretty simple. If only using one person you must run from the unit in the garage to the car to hit the buttons in the proper sequence.

It can be done and it works great. My 2005 STR took a bit of thinking until someone finally explained the rolling code ideas. The Jaguar owners manual does talk a bit about it but you need to remove the cover of the unit on the garage ceiling or look in the garage door opener manual to be sure.

I have all three buttons programmed for different functions. Very handy!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by 03JagSTR
I have a Genie garage door opener and recently programmed mine. You have to first clear any codes that might be already programmed, then program in your current remote and then program from the actual garage door opener device. I had to click on my Jag several times so that it would accept the program.
Hi - I am new to this forum and a new Jaguar owner - 2005 "S-Type R"

I had issues with programming my garage door also (Genie) - I read many of these posts and tried multiple options.

This is what worked for me ==> I have three buttons on my remote opener and one of them was programmed to operate the door. All previous attempts I was using the same remote button to train the Jaguar system - and it would accept the programming. When I attempted to have the garage door opener learn the Jaguar signal - it would fail.

I had a brainstorm - maybe I should use one of the other two buttons on the remote to teach the Jaguar system. I tried this and it learned it the first try and then the Garage door head recognized it first try.

So if you are having problems - try one of the alternate buttons on your remote and see if it works.

TonyP - Lawrenceville, GA

Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, the directions in the S-Type R manual are incomplete. Refer to the Homelink.com page for complete directions that work the first time. Hope this helps.

The following 2 users liked this post by SSquared:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-16-2014), Mikey (02-09-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same frustrations when I first tried to program the car's remote and gave up for a while and just used the old remote. What seemed to solve it for me after using the same procedures you used is that I realized I have to press and hold the button on the car for longer than the remote (that I was used to) before it will work. I wondered if it was ready to work properly all the time but just wouldn't work with the quick push of the button. Give it a try.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (04-16-2014)
Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by SSquared
Unfortunately, the directions in the S-Type R manual are incomplete. Refer to the Homelink.com page for complete directions that work the first time. Hope this helps.
Thank you, that was very helpful.

I had to laugh at their 'motherhood' type caution though

"A second person may make the following steps quicker and easier. Please use a ladder or other device. Do not stand on your vehicle to perform the next steps. On the garage door motorhead, press and release the learn code button - the red LED will begin to blink. "

Old 02-09-2014, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,740 Likes on 8,341 Posts

When I had my Jag, I programmed my garage door opener to the Jag. Forward to... pushing the button on the door opener and getting back into the car, I pushed the car's button..one second on..one second off. I did it three times until the garage door went down.
It was with the homelink system.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chamberlain solution

tony.p1's solution worked for me. Thanks Tony

Old 05-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was having issues setting my garage door to my XF reading on the forums the following fix worked. I am not sure how different the garage door opener is to the S types.

Situation:
The rear mirror button seems to successfully program to the hand held transmitter but still does not work.

Solution:
If this happens to you here is the fix.
After programming the button. Go to your garage door motor and push the learn/smart button. Now go to the vehicle and hold down the programmed mirror button. The motor should now accept the new transmitter (the garage motor box may light up or do something funny) and the next time you push the button it should work.

Last edited by hen555; 05-22-2015 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: How to program garage door opener?