Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to Replace Map Light (bulb)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to Replace Map Light (bulb)

Folks,
I know I must be over looking something simple...the map lights on my (wife's) car are out and I cannot figure out how to remove the lens cover to change the bulbs. I have tried to pry the cover but have not applied excessive force.
Thanks for your help.

Charlie

Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Charlie, I just went out and checked on Joyce's for fun. The lens does not seem to want to "pop out" as you mentioned.

I did not look in the owners handbook but I did look the procedure up on alldatadiy. It seems the whole console will have to be lowered:

Open up the sunglass door, there is a small screw that needs to be removed, its located in the middle towards the windshield (windscreen).

There are 6 tangs that will need to be released, 2 towards the windshield, 2 middle sides and 2 located towards the sunglass compartment. Alldatadiy states very important to release the 2 forward tangs first, then the middle tangs and the rear tangs last!

The console will now drop down easily exposing the bulbs. You can disconnect the wiring harness and move entire console to work bench to replace bulbs.

Seems easy enough.

The following 4 users liked this post by joycesjag:
bricklingto (01-09-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-09-2014), Mudman (01-09-2014), xstatic (07-22-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It's easy to break so be careful. You are at an awkward angle when trying to remove it.

Old 01-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Charlie, I just went out and checked on Joyce's for fun. The lens does not seem to want to "pop out" as you mentioned.

I did not look in the owners handbook but I did look the procedure up on alldatadiy. It seems the whole console will have to be lowered:

Open up the sunglass door, there is a small screw that needs to be removed, its located in the middle towards the windshield (windscreen).

There are 6 tangs that will need to be released, 2 towards the windshield, 2 middle sides and 2 located towards the sunglass compartment. Alldatadiy states very important to release the 2 forward tangs first, then the middle tangs and the rear tangs last!

The console will now drop down easily exposing the bulbs. You can disconnect the wiring harness and move entire console to work bench to replace bulbs.

Seems easy enough.
Rick,
Thanks for the instructions. I removed the screw, in sunglass holder, located the forward tangs but could not budge the. I was starting to mar the plastic trim with the effort I was exerting. So, to avoid breaking something over a small niggling problem I will leave well enough alone.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

It takes quite a bit of force to get the overhead console out.

There are six clips that hold the whole console in the roof. The front two were the biggest pain. It feels like you are going to crack the console in half.

The front two and the side two are the metal spring clips attached to plastic. The two rear clips are plastic.

There is a wiring harness on the passenger side of the console that is for the sun roof (and other pieces, I would assume). There are also four metal prongs for the light switches near the front that the console will pull off of when removing it from the roof. Then the console will push up onto the four prongs when putting the console back.

The following 2 users liked this post by coreytrice:
joycesjag (01-11-2014), Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-12-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Charlie in the old days I would normally go out to Joyces Jag and perform the task and take a few pics along the way and post up a "how to". I too wasn't about to push my luck and crack the overhead console being that it is up there real tight.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's best if two of you pull it down cross hands at the front and sides and gradually peel it Dow starting from the front, it's tight and requires some effort, when putting it back smear some Vaseline on the tangs, good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-12-2014)
Old 01-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Sounds like a job that should only be done in warm weather. Probably not a problem for you Southerners, but we Northeasterners gotta be wary of how cold weather makes plastic brittle and easier to break.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been wanting to put in LED lights. I think I'll wait as well.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Shibajack
I have been wanting to put in LED lights. I think I'll wait as well.
If you do change to LEDs, please post how you did it and sourcing for lights. I'd be interested in seeing this done.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I just finished changing the map lights and let me tell you, while not incredibly hard, it wasn't a very fun job. I found that after having the roof liner replaced they broke all of the front clips. I guess I don't mind much because no one can tell and it probably made the fix a bit easier. It had the middle button pushed through and that went back super easy. Next time I will try getting another hand to hold the sunglasses holder in place while replacing the overhead counsel.
Difficultly Level: Padawan