Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell if I have an Alpine audio system

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if I have an Alpine audio system

Greetings,

I just purchased a 2007 S-Type 3.0 and I was wondering how I can find out if I have an Alpine Head Unit?

It has a Navigation system w/ a DVD in the trunk. But their is no CDC changer. Nor is their an Amplifier.

The speakers (4 - one in each door) sound very good. But how can I tell if I have an Alpine Head Unit?

Will my VIN give me a clue?

Old 01-13-2016, 03:32 PM
Received 4,454 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The head units are all the same in the S-Type, it's the amp and speakers that are the difference.

There are only two levels of sound system, so if you don't have the Alpine logos on the front door speaker grilles, or the subwoofers on the rear parcel shelf, then you have the base system.

Good news is that it's VERY easy to upgrade to the Premium system in an S-Type, all the wiring is present it's just a matter of changing speakers, adding subs and the amp.

The following users liked this post:
SWFL S-Type (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 03:38 PM

Cambo,

Thank you so much for your response. I am looking in to upgrading the speakers and adding an amplifier and a subwoofer.... Then possibly an ACM...

How hard is it to add the Jaguar CDC changer? I see that they are available for sale at some of the sponsors sites. Would the wiring be present in the back of the trunk running up to the head unit?

Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Not hard if you have NAV as the bracket is in the same stack in the trunk. If you do buy a used one be aware the it's on the fiber optic bus. You can add and remove things from this bus but it must be terminated correctly to get everything to work properly.

There is a bus terminator which you should already have (All systems must be terminated). This probably means you will need to move the terminator to a different spot on the bus to allow the CDC to be included in the loop.

Not difficult but make sure you understand what the fiber optic bus requires to work.

Do you have the single CD player in the dash?

SWFL S-Type (01-14-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just installed a new head unit in my S-Type. I pulled the old amp and cd changer out. There just laying in the garage. I have no use for them.

SWFL S-Type (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by tbird6
Not hard if you have NAV as the bracket is in the same stack in the trunk. If you do buy a used one be aware the it's on the fiber optic bus. You can add and remove things from this bus but it must be terminated correctly to get everything to work properly.

There is a bus terminator which you should already have (All systems must be terminated). This probably means you will need to move the terminator to a different spot on the bus to allow the CDC to be included in the loop.

Not difficult but make sure you understand what the fiber optic bus requires to work.

Do you have the single CD player in the dash?
tbird6, Yes I do have a single CD player in the dash and it works.

One odd thing is that the volume seems to get louder - more powerful - at times... And then get quieter - less powerful - at other times.... Without me touching the volume.

At first I thought it was radio station signal strength coming in and out. But it happens from time to time when I am playing CDs too...

Any direction to send me as to what could be causing that and remedies?

Thanks & cheers!

Old 01-14-2016, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by kelbymorgan
I just installed a new head unit in my S-Type. I pulled the old amp and cd changer out. There just laying in the garage. I have no use for them.
kelbymorgan - I just sent you a PM.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kelbymorgan
If you don't mind me asking, what did you have to do to get the new head unit working with the existing speakers?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

One odd thing is that the volume seems to get louder - more powerful - at times... And then get quieter - less powerful - at other times.... Without me touching the volume.

At first I thought it was radio station signal strength coming in and out. But it happens from time to time when I am playing CDs too...

Any direction to send me as to what could be causing that and remedies?

Thanks & cheers!

I think the problem is caused by the AVC (automatic volume compensation) setting.

The idea is that it increases the audio volume as the road speed increases (the theory being that there is more road noise the faster you go)

You can adjust the sensitivity from low to high (or off) in the same way that you can adjust bass and treble.

Have a quick look in your manual, I bet that the AVC is set to 'high' sensitivity ?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,524 Likes on 3,935 Posts

Yes, sounds like the AVC. See the handbook....

Old 01-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I successfully added a CDC to my boot. See here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...-cable-175292/

The amp should be just as easy. Rather than pay £40 for a new optic cable I made my own for £10. The CD changer was £60 from eBay.

Let me know if you need any advice, but it was quite simple.