S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hub or ABS 'clicking'

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hub or ABS 'clicking'

I'm unfamiliar with ABS. With the avg age of all my cars (not incl this Jaguar) being 29 yrs, this '02 ST8 Sport is the first I've had with ABS. Doing the front brakes, I checked the hubs. I noticed each one is different. Different designs/manufacturers, I guess. The pass side one has a bigger ABS sensor back than the driver's.

The driver's hub is very snug & makes no noise while spinning. The pass side turns slightly freer but it makes a click. It's not a raspy sound I've heard with bad bearings, just a click-click-click. Like a ratcheting gear. I was spinning the hub with nothing attached (no rotor).

Question I have, would this be a bad hub, a bad sensor, or is this something that may be heard with ABS brakes?

Old 07-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,452 Likes on 1,950 Posts

The bottom line is - you should not be getting that clicking noise ! It sounds like Charlie Allthumbs got to that car before you. The hubs should be identical each side, also the hub carriers. However what is an ST8 ? Is it a Jaguar ?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
However what is an ST8 ? Is it a Jaguar ?
Just went thru this on another thread. ST8 Sport = S - Type V8 Sport. Sport. The model with the 17" Sport rims, 235/50ZR17 tires, sport suspension, stiffer seat, no bright metal.

Sorry if no one could figure that out! Nobody ever came up with that? Great! I coined it, and my name ain't Nigel Thorley!

ANYWAY, I listened to the hub today with a stethoscope, while turning the wheel (everything is on, brakes, wheel, etc.)....wait a minute, in this day & age of LOL, LMAO, BFF, OMG, DILLIGAF and all the other dumb acronyms, no one on this Jaguar forum can figure out S T 8?....

No clicking. I couldn't hear any click, today.

Here's a pic of each of the sensor (housings?) & you can see the differences.

Attached Thumbnails Hub or ABS 'clicking'-pass.jpg   Hub or ABS 'clicking'-drivers.jpg  
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

The problem is caused by APORBH, what you need to do is STW, then LFAN, then RTN.

Oh by the way, I have made up my own acronyms, that no one has ever used, just like you have, but hey, your good at this, so you'll figure it out.

Maybe if you had taken in what the very knowledgeable posters said in your other thread and actually posted the year, engine size, model and gearbox type you might actually get some usefull help.

Last edited by police666; 07-19-2013 at 05:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by police666:
joycesjag (07-19-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-29-2013)
Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by police666
The problem is caused by APORBH, what you need to do is STW, then LFAN, then RTN.
Originally Posted by police666

Oh by the way, I have made up my own acronyms, that no one has ever used, just like you have, but hey, your good at this, so you'll figure it out.

Maybe if you had taken in what the very knowledgeable posters said in your other thread and actually posted the year, engine size, model and gearbox type you might actually get some usefull help.

I didn't see the hair-splitting or semantics thread, or I'd have posted there.

I only came here to ask questions about some things I was concerned about.

I'm getting badgered because I shortened my model's name? What are you, 18? Seriously. No mature adult would be so asinine.

If you don't have anything worthwhile to say, or can't answer questions, don't bother me.

I WASN'T REFERRING TO A SPECIFIC MODEL. I WAS REFERRING TO THE BRAND, and a condition, that can be on ANY car. And that is from another thread. This thread which you've hijacked, concerned the wheel hub.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

You're going about this the right way to get no help.

The following users liked this post:
Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-29-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by JagV8
You're going about this the right way to get no help.
You & police666 have to be in every post don't you. Just to pester like Grendel.

It's unfortunate that in this day & age of 3D printers, MRI's, space stations, doppler radar....that no one yet has invented something that would allow me to reach thru the internet....

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Many people have names for their cars or make up their own anachronisms, however, when posting questions in the hope that someone will answer, they always refer to the car as stated on the tin to avoid confusion.

Had you done that in the first instance then none of this silliness would have transpired.

I feel the quote below will now inevitably lead to the exact response that Jagv8 has made and that is a shame.

Originally Posted by 307883281600350
It's unfortunate that in this day & age of 3D printers, MRI's, space stations, doppler radar....that no one yet has invented something that would allow me to reach thru the internet....
In a civilised society and indeed, this very friendly forum, this type of veiled threat is neither warranted nor welcome.

The following 3 users liked this post by jimbov8:
JimC64 (07-30-2013), Jon89 (07-30-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Many people have names for their cars or make up their own anachronisms, however, when posting questions in the hope that someone will answer, they always refer to the car as stated on the tin to avoid confusion.
Originally Posted by jimbov8

Had you done that in the first instance then none of this silliness would have transpired.

I feel the quote below will now inevitably lead to the exact response that Jagv8 has made and that is a shame.

In a civilised society and indeed, this very friendly forum, this type of veiled threat is neither warranted nor welcome.
This forum becomes NOT friendly & uncivilised when two/three members hound someone simply because they affectionately referred to their vehicle in an abbreviated manner. Let me reiterate, one would think a JAGUAR ENTHUSIAST, or someone with INTUITION could have figured it out although the post was NOT directed to a specific model, but the marque, or more specifically a symptom that any car could produce.

I still haven't figured out the GREAT emphasis on the signature line because even after I added info, JagV8 still threw a jab at what was added, confirming he's just being antagonistic towards me.

It's easy for forum members to continually harass someone because they can hide behind the website, which itself is in limbo. It's a cowardly way to do so.

So, I'm being HONEST with you expressing my displeasure, and using comical examples to express my frustration. Another Jaguar Forums Sin?

I want to know who coined STR in place of S-Type R, because STR isn't the factory name. From what I've read, OWNER'S AFFECTIONATELY REFERRED TO THE Supercharged S-Types & that acronym stuck. So, my ST8 broke all the rules! LOL! LOL! I'm an outlaw! LOL!

Last edited by 307883281600350; 07-30-2013 at 04:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Interesting thread....subscribed

Old 07-30-2013, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by 307883281600350
You & police666 have to be in every post don't you. Just to pester like Grendel...

It's unfortunate that in this day & age...that no one yet has invented something that would allow me to reach thru the internet....
Clearly you have a sense of humor, 307883281600350, as indicated in your new signature and your location. Unfortunately, sense of humor rarely translates well over the internet.

JagV8 and Police666 are both respected members of this forum. They have been here a long time compared to you and me. They give great advice based on their long-term experiences as S-Type owners and I ALWAYS look forward to what they have to say. I've learned a lot from both of them.

JagV8 even took the time to created and post a list of acronyms used in this forum; "ST8" isn't one of them. By using ST8 you caused me to waste several minutes of my life trying to figure out what you were referring to. I didn't have a clue. Had you stuck to the accepted abbreviations I could have used that time more productively. Multiply those wasted minutes by the thousands of similar posts we wade through on this forum by others who also refused to follow, or even read, the forum guidelines. Perhaps now you can understand the basis of our frustration. Members like JagV8, police666 and me seem more inclined to verbally spank you for misbehaving than waste more of our time figuring out what it is you are even talking about, much less offer an intelligent, thoughtful answer to your question.

And if the technology existed to reach thru the internet and grab someone, I am absolutely certain that numerous members of this forum would have reached through and duct taped your mouth and your fingers by now. That's my attempt at humor - doesn't sound very funny, does it?

Sometimes it's just best to sit back and listen, pay attention to how things are done in these forums, then participate in a manner that's consistent with how others are participating. There's much to be learned here if you just silence the (not so funny) voices in your head, grasshopper.

Finally, I'd recommend you change your signature to something simple that describes your car, leave the attempt at humor/sarcasm out of it as it doesn't work.

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 09:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Ok, here's where we are with this thread, my take on it...

To the OP ( Original Poster ) 30788.......

Firstly, I see no unfriendly or unhelpful behaviour here, either from JagV8, Polic666 or any others.
Simply, I see a frustration of members willing / perhaps able to help but hindered by your lack of information to enable them to assist you

That was put across quite simply I thought, but you took exception to it.

What I see is as follows..

Your unusual username, which I find strange, this coupled with your negative remarks about the brand, failed attempt at humour etc and reluctance to add the correct details of your vehicle, don't help the case I'm afraid. Jaguar as a brand are not perfect, the cars have issues and or imperfections, but we deal with them and move on.

I'd suggest you're probably viewed as a troll almost.
Please accept my sincere and genuine apologies if this isn't the case.

The reasoning behind the "suggested" vehicle details in the signature?
We have many techs and excellent / knowledgable DIYers here always happy & willing to help. If however, they have to go through several posts just to get that basic of info, it makes for a very long winded process, multiplied by their large post count.......I'm sure you can begin to see just how frustrating it can be?

ie - Please help us to help you!

There is a thread in the "New member" section entitled
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...gned-up-22253/

This is NOT a MUST as in you must view it sign acceptance in blood.

Its more of a MUST read to help you & other new members to understand the workings of the forum and get the very best out of the experience.

As a general rule, we have a very helpful & friendly bunch of guys here, its the way we want it and most everyone complies.

Anyone not complying and causing offence / irritation / hassle / grief etc are given short shrift and very quickly moved on.....THIS APPLIES TO ALL.

I genuinely hope that we can get past this and move on, helping you to become part of the site and enjoy the experience getting the most out of it.

If this isn't the case, you have any further issues or there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to pm me at any time.

We're happy to help where we can.

The following 3 users liked this post by JimC64:
jimbov8 (07-30-2013), Jon89 (07-30-2013), police666 (07-31-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 221 Likes on 170 Posts

307883281600350 , everyone here is willing to help, don't take things personally, no one has set out to upset or insult you, (if i have in some way i apologise) you were just asked to stick to the forum rules / guidelines and made aware how confusing new abbreviations can be.

if you new to the jag brand i suggest you download jtis and jepc from this site, nearly everything you need to know is in there (provided you take time, they can be tricky to navigate at times)

The following 3 users liked this post by police666:
jimbov8 (07-30-2013), JimC64 (07-30-2013), Jumpin' Jag Flash (07-31-2013)