S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I broke the ashtray door....

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I broke the ashtray door....

with a cellphone charger. Instead of replacing the door, you have to replace the ashtray which holds the door. I can't be the only one who has done this, so below are the steps.

1. Disconnect Battery
2. Remove the gearshift knob by unscrewing, by hand if possible.
3. Open the center console arm rest to fully open and leave it.
4. Unsnap the leather cover of the emergency brake.
5. Pull firmly from the front and both sides of the console, at the first seam from the top. That is where it seperates from the center. It is only clipped in and not screwed.
6. The entire section should unclip from the back and front. There are approximately 4 clips (snaps).
7. Unclip the "S", "Slip" and "lighter" electrical connections.
8. Work the console from the frontside positioned higher than the rear. This will allow you to get the leather cover smoothly off of the emergency brake.
9. Once free, you can now access the bottom of the entire console, with the ashtray at the top. Using a hex screw, unscrew the 2 screws that hold in the ashtray.
10. Remove the fuse attached to the lighter.
11. Remove the door close clip, from the broken ashtray.
12. Break the rest of the plastic around the lighter to remove the lighter. But don't damage the lighter or green housing. I used some wire cutters to break right around the lighter, and it came free easily. Remember, you are replacing this piece so it doesn't matter if you break it even more.
13. You should now only have the lighter and the green housing, still connected. You'll notice that the lighter won't go into the new ashtray with the green housing attached and that the green housing is locked into place around the lighter. So, what to do???
14. Using a very small nosed flathead screwdriver, gently bend the metal on the inside of the lighter where the greenhousing is locked into place.
15. Pull the greenhousing down, and it should be free.
16. Put the greenhousing (alone) into the new ashtray. There is a notch that aligns the correct position for the greenhousing.
17. Slide the lighter into the greenhousing, and wow!! It still locked into place!!
18. Place the door close clip into the new ashtray.
19. Now, attach the new ashtray with the 2 hex screws.
20. Flip over the console and check to make sure the ashtray is positioned correctly. Adjust as needed.
21. Now, you are ready to return the console back into the original position.
22. Rear lower first, place the leather emergency brake sleeve over the emergency brake handle, and pull the leather over the brake as far down as possible, keeping the back of the console lower.
23. Reattach the "S", "Slip" and "lighter" electrical connections.
24. Align the center console correctly, making sure the rear and front have correct spacing and push down, (but not with Arnold force), and listen for 4 snaps.
25. Make sure the center arm rest goes into position correctly. If so, you are golden, if not, you don't have it snapped correctly. Check the spacing at the front and rear of the console. You may need to re-attach.
26. Now, you can put the ashtray door onto the new ashtray. It basically just snaps on, but be sure to not break the arm that moves the door up and down. If you do, please start at step #1.
27. Screw the gearshift knob back into place, and reconnect the battery.

The following users liked this post:
joycesjag (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Pics would help! But thank you for taking the time to share.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Nice write-up!

This would appear to apply to prior to 2003MY S-Types only right - or for the most part anyway? Although some steps may be the same. I remember the ashtray was a real bugger to get out of my 03 STR when doing some radio work.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, it was a pain in the A$$. I didn't take any pic's and I'm not sure I want to go back and take it apart to do that. I'll remember next time.

Old 12-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy cow that seems like alot to replace the ashtray door, my tray door won't stay closed but dont think I want to go through all that just to be able to keep it closed lol

Old 12-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

I concur, no way would I intentionally remove that ashtray assembly just for pics! If i'm back in that area for some other work, I'll try to remember to take some as well. Pretty good chance I'll break it the second time around.. LOL