S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I changed my mind about the S Type...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 06:31 AM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default I changed my mind about the S Type...

Hi there,

My XJ is in Jaguar Lisbon, for a few fixes and I was loaned a S Type..

I admit it : when I saw it, I hated it. Plus, it had/has over 200,000kms ( 125k/130k miles to you guys over the pond ) ...

But, now, after a week of driving it everyday, I have to admit - its a hidden jewel of the Jaguar world - looks are still debatle but growing on me, super confortable car, great turning circle, easy to park, comes with all the bell and whistles, seats are very nice, dash is old school but very cool...

They are cheap as chips and to be honest, I dont understand why - this one is a loaner of Jaguar Portugal, has seen some miles and I suspect that since its a loaner its trashed when its loaned - and nothing creaks, nothing rattles, nothing sounds bad. Very impressed

Dislikes ? just the "auto-volume-with-speed-that-can't-be-disabled"... that is a PITA... minor dislike is the gearbox - coming from a smooth 8 speed XJ, this one feels a bit agricultural oh.. and the loud "GOODBYE" message ehhehehe

But all in all, you gents S Type owners got a very fine car.

I've seen a S TYPE R version a while ago for a STEAL price with low miles on it.. .if I knew what I know today... who knows

The following 2 users liked this post by Goncalo Proenca:
daomoniker (10-20-2015), Norri (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure is a nice car Goncalo. I just got one last week with only 35,000 Kms on the clock and love it. The smoothest ride I have ever had. A very nice car indeed.

What do you mean by "auto-volume-with-speed-that-can't-be-disabled"?

Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

You can change the volume setting feature. Use MENU then I forget where but there's not much to wander around.

What GOODBYE message?

Old 10-18-2015, 11:48 AM

Take in consideration, that I have the S Type as a loaner, so I'm not familiar with the car.

Regarding the sound : the car tries to "predict" when I'm going faster, by automatically pumping the volume. My Porsche 911 had this, but I could select the intensitiy of the increase or even turn this feature off alltogheter. In the Jaguar, it sucks pretty much - because it tries to guess what speed I will end with, not the current - for example, I'm doing 50-60, overtake a car, being more generous with the gas pedal and it just screams the radio ... its annoying. Specially if I'm just overtaking and then resuming my normal speed - he thinks that I'm going to hit 150 , so he pumps the radio to match the noise the cabin would have at 150 but... I'm not. I just did 60->80 to overtake, then back to 60 ish.

Everytime I turn off the car, an english ladie says "Goodbye". A bit cheesy

Old 10-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member

That's the very volume feature you can change or disable, as I posted.

I never knew that Goodbye feature existed. I'm sure it can be disabled also.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I really like my XJ but I miss the S-Type. It rode better and flew under the radar a bit while still wearing the Jaguar badge.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Neither of those features exist on an S-type. Perhaps the dealer retro-fitted some aftermarket radio?

Do you have a picture of the dashboard?

Last edited by Mikey; 10-18-2015 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

The volume-changes-with-speed is present on mine. (And I have it on the highest setting.)

Old 10-18-2015, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JagV8
The volume-changes-with-speed is present on mine. (And I have it on the highest setting.)
Yes, but it does not anticipate speed nor boost the volume to an unacceptable level- and is easily adjustable or turned off. Nothing like what the OP mentions.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member

I suspect his first language is not English...

Old 10-20-2015, 02:13 PM

I suspect his first language is not English...
While my command of the English is not by any means exemplary, I did quite well in the 14 years I worked in London

You can change the volume setting feature. Use MENU then I forget where but there's not much to wander around.

What GOODBYE message?
I can't find it - and I'm quite tech savvy ; also , the menu system on the S type is pretty straightfoward. if I go to MENU, there are just a few options.

Regarding the Goodbye message, read below

That's the very volume feature you can change or disable, as I posted.

I never knew that Goodbye feature existed. I'm sure it can be disabled also.
Originally Posted by Mikey
Neither of those features exist on an S-type. Perhaps the dealer retro-fitted some aftermarket radio?

Do you have a picture of the dashboard?
Regarding the Goodbye message, I figured it out - the dealership fitted a very cheesy Bluetooth system - and its indeed the system that "says" goodbye...

Yes, but it does not anticipate speed nor boost the volume to an unacceptable level- and is easily adjustable or turned off. Nothing like what the OP mentions.
As I said, I find it odd that I do not see anywhere in the menus to adjust it or turn it off - together with the fact that the Jaguar S Type System menus are quite "shallow" or with lack of submenus. Not a bad point here, I find it pleasing that is so simple and straightfoward.

What does annoy me its the sudden bump in volume - specially because it seems to be linked either to the system trying to antecipate the speed and/or RPM - if I do a kickdown ( mild ) , it goes up 1500 or 2000 rpm and the sound system goes from "ok" to "I'll blow your ears out" and I just went from 50 km/h to 65km/h ... its just ridiculous.

Maybe the car system (audio) is malfunction ? I dont know. Its really the only thing that annoys me in the car - the rest its different but very pleasing - even the "rudeness" of the gearbox suits the more releaxed pace of the car.

It is really a very good buy - and as I said, being cheap as chips, its a bargain to be had. And it DOES impress me that a Jaguar from a "so-so" era, after 130,000 miles ( and they seem "rough" miles.. ) does not have a squeak or crack.. and that my brand new XJ is in the shop for a rattling roof.... oh the British irony....

Old 10-20-2015, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Oops - apologies.

I use that volume feature and it doesn't do anything like what you describe so I think the one you have is faulty or something else is faulty and causing what occurs. I'm not sure what could, but it's a definite possibility.

I'll try to find the exact menu options on mine - I set it about 6 years ago and once happy have left it ever since.

hmm, think it's about page 19 of attached.
pah - it's too big!

OK:
MENU
Volume Preset

and AVC is the one that controls the feature (Automatic Volume Control).

The following users liked this post:
Goncalo Proenca (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Goncalo Proenca

What does annoy me its the sudden bump in volume - specially because it seems to be linked either to the system trying to antecipate the speed and/or RPM - if I do a kickdown ( mild ) , it goes up 1500 or 2000 rpm and the sound system goes from "ok" to "I'll blow your ears out" and I just went from 50 km/h to 65km/h ... its just ridiculous.
Mine certainly doesn't do that- and the AVC is adjusted to the maximum setting. Might have something to do with the bluetooth thingy the dealer added?

Old 10-20-2015, 03:40 PM

Oops - apologies.

I use that volume feature and it doesn't do anything like what you describe so I think the one you have is faulty or something else is faulty and causing what occurs. I'm not sure what could, but it's a definite possibility.

I'll try to find the exact menu options on mine - I set it about 6 years ago and once happy have left it ever since.

hmm, think it's about page 19 of attached.
pah - it's too big!

OK:
MENU
Volume Preset

and AVC is the one that controls the feature (Automatic Volume Control).
Mine certainly doesn't do that- and the AVC is adjusted to the maximum setting. Might have something to do with the bluetooth thingy the dealer added?
Perhaps the bluetooth thingy its interfering with it.

Again, its a loaner car so I can't be bothered - will let them know.

And in the MENU, I do not have VOLUME PRESET. When pressing menu, it goes to SYSTEM SETTINGS , VOLUME SETTINGS ( the most imbecile setting of them all - it goes to the... erm... volume number.... ) and LOGO. No AVC or anything like that.

As I said, its a pretty straightfoward menu, so I suspect that the bluetooth thing that the dealer install is doing some strange things to the audio system.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:26 PM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

OP, you have to hold down the MODE button in order to get into the menu which allow you to adjust AVC. FYI as I know it's just a loaner car for you. AVC is called TR parameter, there is no OFF but you can turn down the effect.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

There is a button you can push and hold to toggle that auto speed volume on and off. PTA or something like that.