Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Got Keyed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default I Got Keyed

The inevitable happened I suppose, some idiot(s) keyed the hood of my Jag at my apartment. They also put a small cross with a permanent marker as well. This weekend I'll hopefully be able to buff it out or at least make it less noticeable.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:39 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Why is an ever increasing percentage of the population a bunch of @ss holes? I'm sorry Mike.

Post pictures. There are a few DIY tricks to fix scratches. My experience is rubbing alcohol should take off the marker without hurting the clear. Be sure to re-wax that part since the alcohol will strip off any protective wax film.

I guess that your apartment complex doesn't have video surveillance. Maybe get one of those home kits and aim it at your parking spot??

Old 06-15-2012, 08:10 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Jeff,

I was able to remove the cross with rubbing alcohol. Removing the "FU" scratches will be one of my weekend projects.

Mike

Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I feel for you, Mike. My Ram was keyed along the right rear side of the bed over the wheel well during the summer of 2005. I buffed it out, filled the broken-surface areas with touch-up paint, and always keep a thick coat of wax along that panel to inhibit the rust. It still bothers me every time I wash my truck and feel the irregular surface through the washcloth. It's a good thing I didn't catch the punk in the act because I would have probably broken his neck....

Let us know how it turns out after your initial repair effort. I hope you can buff the vast majority of the damage out of the surface enough to make you feel somewhat better....

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

So sorry to hear that. Assuming it is just a random act of a-hole behavior. People have no respect, I hope someone saw them or something.

You can try bug and tar remover (aka kerosene) for the marker. If the scratches are just in the clear coat and not down to the bare metal, you can get some 3,000 grit wet sandpaper and color sand them out, then buff with a medium cut, then light cut pad/compound, and then a glaze/wax should do it.

Put up some pics - lots of good body experts on the board could offer other suggestions.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,339 Likes on 8,596 Posts

www.x10.com

My youngest brother has a remote wireless color camera that has a zoom lens and swivel. He can read license plates about 100 yards away.
Lots to choose from
Good luck..

Old 06-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member

Update: I filed a police report and discovered I wasn't alone. At least six other cars in the complex also got damaged. The police thought it would have been nice if the complex had surveillance cameras as well.

Old 06-15-2012, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

We'll form a posse and hunt down the mo%*ther f)(#er! Sorry for what happened Mike. What comes around goes around...the dude will get "his" one way or another. Otherwise find some peace for yourself this weekend.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bfsgross
We'll form a posse and hunt down the mo%*ther f)(#er! Sorry for what happened Mike. What comes around goes around...the dude will get "his" one way or another. Otherwise find some peace for yourself this weekend.
Well said Amigo, couldn't have said it any better. Sorry to hear what happened Carelm.

Last edited by jag79; 06-15-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
www.x10.com

My youngest brother has a remote wireless color camera that has a zoom lens and swivel. He can read license plates about 100 yards away.
Lots to choose from
Good luck..
Thanks Jayt2! I book marked that. So, good place? I am thinking of getting the outdoor one and aiming it from a tree into my driveway and side door with the motion detection. Will just have to leave our home computer on all the time and use it as a DVR.

Mike, I have heard of people living in apartments getting cameras like these that aim at their parking places. Priceless is the look on the @ss hat's face when the police inform them that they are on video and charges have been filed....

I hope they catch the punk/punks that did this. Any luck getting stuff fixed?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

You may want to check with your insurance. Vandalism comes under comprehensive , the deductible is usually pretty low and it's not a claim that should cause a surcharge.

I've never had a lot of luck buffing unless it is really light. The clear on newer cars is as thin as possible.

Probably little comfort but I would be somewhat relieved others were targeted to. Things like this always make me worry that it's a personal vendetta. Sounds like random vandalism. And I agree, lots of scumbags and jealous people out there.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Sounds like a hate crime to me -- those who hate those of us who have cars nicer than theirs!

I've never been keyed, that would be the ultimate pisser for me! I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I found out who did it and skinned them alive.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21,339 Likes on 8,596 Posts

[quote=JOsworth;529862]Thanks Jayt2! I book marked that. So, good place? I am thinking of getting the outdoor one and aiming it from a tree into my driveway and side door with the motion detection. Will just have to leave our home computer on all the time and use it as a DVR.

quote]

Jeff, I don't know how good a company they are, but they've been around for a long time. Might want to check their return policies just in caes.
My bro's system is at least 10 years old. He has several other cameras around his house pointing in various directions and the display goes thru a rotating sequence, sort of addictive to watch..

Old 06-16-2012, 11:04 AM
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Sorry to hear about the vandals...that's just crazy.

I remember when my family had a BMW 7-series, someone scum bag used to key it all the time. It was crazy. I have seen nice cars too (Bently and etc.) and I admire them, but don't key them...

Old 06-16-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

Catch the scum b76 and brand your Jag key onto his forehead...his "Scarlet Letter".

Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my paintwork isnt great and i have numerous scratches etc but i would still be gutted if someone did that to my car - i feel for you - it is hard not to take it personally - i hope your insurance or self repairs give you a result to your satisfaction.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Mike, what's your update? Were you able to buff out most of the damage this past weekend? If not, how will you proceed?

Old 06-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodyman
You may want to check with your insurance. Vandalism comes under comprehensive , the deductible is usually pretty low and it's not a claim that should cause a surcharge.
+1. I had one of my jeeps keyed and had the entire right side repainted by the insurance company. I have $0 deductible for comp for just this sort of thing. It usually doesn't affect your rates either.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member

I was able to do a pretty decent repair job using the Turtle Wax Scratch Repair Kit. It comes with a clearcoat pen, three sanding pads, lubricant and a polishing compound. It runs about $20 or so. I now have a hard time finding where the "FU" letters are. I still need to use my random orbital buffer to finish off the job. I'll try to post some before and after pictures when I'm finished.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear that you've at least mitigated the damage. Hope your additional buffer work will get it to the 99% seamless level. Let us know....

By the way, if you have a Colors On Parade franchise in the D.C. area you may want to keep them in mind for future repairs of this nature. We have one in Raleigh, the owner is as **** and meticulous about cosmetic blemish repairs as anyone I have ever met in the industry, and he has been able to perform some truly magical blemish removals on several of our vehicles over the years for a fraction of what a conventional body shop would charge....

Quick Reply: I Got Keyed