S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got problems!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,910 Likes on 3,212 Posts

tiger, as for the center console, get your hands on a feeler gauge (thin metal strips of varying thicknesses-normally from say 0.003" to 0.125"). Using a fairly thick gauge (about 0.0625" or thicker), slide that between the center console and the lid. You want to insert it in the center of the console. What you are attempting to do is to hit the latch and push it back slightly to allow you to pull open the armrest. From there, you can see what is causing the binding and can access everything that you need to.

As for the valet switch, I have found a reference to the switch in the electrical schematics, but nothing associated with where it is located. Based on the location of the valet switch in the circuit, it is very possible that the valet switch has been enabled causing the loss of the other functions with the trunk release. For reference, the trunk release is controlled via the rear electronics module and all inputs to open the trunk have to go through the rear electronics module to get the solenoid to be energized and open the trunk. I would suggest you open up the glove box and feel along the top of the glove box. If you feel a switch, that will be the valet switch. The other common place that they put the valet switch is in the driver's footwell area. As I mentioned, I am not sure exactly where the switch is located, so, hopefully someone else can tell you a more specific location.

As for your beeping noise, it sounds like to me that you have a problem with the emergency brake system. Because your car uses an electric motor to set the e-brake, if this motor does not function properly, there is a warning chime that will sound to let you know the e-brake has not been set. What I would tell you to do is to park the car, lift a rear tire off of the ground and then attempt to turn the tire by hand. if you can turn it, then you have a problem with the e-brake system. if the wheel is solid (ie, can't be turned), then I would have to assume the e-brake is functioning properly. Hopefully this atleast gives you a starting point to use.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

The valet switch is in the glove box.

Old 08-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

To give you a bit more help on the Valet button.....

Mine (2005 S-type) is located such that if you sat on the floor of the car and looked at the open glove box, it would be at 12 o'clock. It's hard to see unless you really look for it.

Eric

Old 08-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris is on the money....good job.

The beeping COULD also be that the shift cable is not adjusted properly(the car thinks it's out of Park), and will chime the same chime as the P brake fault chime. Let's say chime again......ok......chime. Are you getting a "Park Brake Fault" light on when you pull the key out? If you aren't go for the cable adjustment......just an educated guess.