Sponsored by:

I need a growl...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 02:44 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default I need a growl...

Hiya my first "technical" post on the forums...first an intro
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...africa-111675/

Just bought an immaculate 2003 S-type R , but it's just a little too soft sounding for me , I have Vettes and a Camaro , all of which have a nice exhaust note - letting others know jut whats under the hood.

I have done forum searches but am getting somewhat conflicted.

I live in South Africa , where aftermarket exhaust parts have to be imported at huge cost.

What can I do to go from a muted growl to an audible one so that when in the car with the windows closed and at WOT or when the loud pedal is prodded , I will be a little more thrilled?

I have seen 2 "easy" options .. resonator delete or back muffler delete - seems the back muffler delete introduces too much noise and drone?

No high flow cats available here and I don't want to mod too much either.

I have read about X-pipes - where in the Exhaust flow does this go , our local exhaust shoppe can do stuff like that...

Thanks in anticipation - and apologies if all this has been covered before ad infintum..

Old 02-13-2014, 04:51 AM
Received 252 Likes on 169 Posts

Simplest method with best results?

I would keep the stock resonators, just delete the stock mufflers, and replace them with straight pipe / nice tip.

Shouldget you the sound you want and a really easy job any exhaust shop could tackle without having to import parts...

Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum, we don't have many members from Africa!

Any chance you could share some info with us about SA? What side of the road do you use? What's traffic like and how fast does it move on the "expressways"? Many Jaguars there, what's the history of your car, was it bought new in SA or did it find it's way there from somewhere else?

You also seem to have a nice collection of American iron! How common are those sorts of cars and what's the history of yours?

Cheers!

Old 02-13-2014, 11:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

This man knows what's up

Originally Posted by GT42R

I would keep the stock resonators, just delete the stock mufflers, and replace them with straight pipe / nice tip.

Shouldget you the sound you want and a really easy job any exhaust shop could tackle without having to import parts...

The following users liked this post:
GT42R (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

It's easy to try out too!

The mufflers have a band clamp and can be removed completely with little effort. Drive around a bit after they are off and see what you think.

I did not buy a Jag so it could sound like a Vette or a Camaro! But it's your car.

I did it for a bit when I was installing the Mina rear boxes.

It does make it bellow!!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the heads up - I will give the muffler delete a bash.. If its noisy and boy racer like will refit them..I do have my other stuff to play with.

The 96 vette is white and is stock , my "good" child , the black 84 is wickedly modified and is my "evil" child - it is street legal and does low 10 sec 1/4 miles , 0-100kph in sub 3 second range , a rip roaring snorting monster... I drive it maybe 20km every 3 months or so...

As to SA - we drive on the right hand side
Cape Town where I live is around 2 million ppl , good roads , lots of highways - relatively few cops .. it's the wild west in town , we have 1000's of minibus taxis that are at war with motorists.... rules of the road dont apply to them.

There are some great drives just out of the city , twisties and an opportunity to really open it and to travel to some great venues like wine farms and the like. We have a V8 club where 30-60 cars get together the last Sunday of the month and we do a 150km trip to somewhere for lunch - anything with a V8 is welcome , mostly Yank muscle - but my jag "qualifies"

Jaguar has always had representation in SA , so we have quite a lot of jags about..right from the early days upwards.

When I was 25 (I'm 55 now) I had a choice between a V12 E-type roadster that needed a paint job and a late model Datsun 280ZX.. STUPIDLY I chose the ZX and it died a painful death via the rust monster..

American iron is not common here and in fact you cannot register or sell a LHD if it is later than 2003 - so it tends to be older stuff , a lot from the 60's and 70's when the local car agents had them as special imports..

I have had most Chevy stuff - like a 454 Chevelle's , 67/68/69/70 Camaro, etc - at least 20 vehicles in the "muscle" class (amazing straight line performance , handles like a 3 legged dog and stopping is more exciting than accelerating )

I am a fan of big cubic engines for their torque and the drama of launches and their tyre shredding ability. See this video

I drag raced for at least 15 years on various tracks and the fastest of my cars did a 6 second 1/4 mile (a 69 Camaro with an Enderle methanol injected 9 litre motor with a 6/71 blower)

I have built many engines , almost all exclusively V8 , from old school carbed right thru to twin turbos and NOS or superchargers on electronic motors. Also modded many cars in respect of race or street performance .. so am familiar around an engine bay and modifying and flashing Ecu's and such like.
My other big hobby is high end audio - either I'm fiddling with hifi and listening to great tunes or doing the same with cars ..

This is my first JAG tho..

Here's a pic of my 2 Vettes...

Attached Thumbnails I need a growl...-394032_10150495021112869_934221212_n.jpg   I need a growl...-395692_10150495020852869_1556472995_n.jpg   I need a growl...-298960_10150329913657869_834387238_n.jpg  
Stuart Beattie (02-17-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by GT42R

Anyone have a sound clip of this?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:36 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

As GT42R said, just delete the mufflers first. I did high-flow cats with an x-pipe and resonator delete to start, and it was fairly raspy sounding. I then did a muffler delete and added different resonators to get my sound. Its pretty loud but doesn't drone too much (at least for me).

Old 02-14-2014, 08:52 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>you cannot register or sell a LHD if it is later than 2003

Damn British
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 02-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
>you cannot register or sell a LHD if it is later than 2003

Damn British
Why British? He's in SA.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:25 PM
pab
Veteran Member

Kuz they drive on the left side of the road and the Brits are to blame...

Old 02-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by pab
Kuz they drive on the left side of the road and the Brits are to blame...
The OP stated that they drive on the right side of the road...

Old 02-14-2014, 02:44 PM
pab
Veteran Member

>The OP stated that they drive on the right side of the road...

I believe that he made a mistake, particularly when he later said that LHD cars later that 20xx are not able to be imported.

I also googled "driving in South Africa" and learned: "South Africans drive on the left-hand side of the road, and our cars – rental cars included – are therefore right-hand drive vehicles, the gear shift being operated with the left hand"

So, like I said, I blame the Brits... ;-)
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 02-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

He said "We drive on the right side" I'll hazard a guess he meant the right side of the car and not the road.
They can thank the Brits for that!

Old 02-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,559 Likes on 3,964 Posts

But the prohibition is a legal one and that wasn't us!

Besides you need to blame the French.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Received 2,266 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Rodney,

I remember you from the Corvette Action Centre website.

Small world!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:48 AM
pab
Veteran Member

>Besides you need to blame the French.

Always... ;-)
==================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Tsk damn by jove it's ALWAYS THE FRENCH!

Mind you, the ladies are nice...........

But seriously Rodney, if the Euro Stazi have their way tusk tusk, "were you smoking IN THE CAR?" in that video?

Great post by the way, now are we back on the left on the right side of the road or on the right, blast where was I?

Welcome to the forum, Glad you are here!

Enjoy and ps, the video was great, You have Lovely cars and good taste, I hope you like your S Type R too, I would by JINGO!

Cheers, Stu

Old 02-17-2014, 09:15 AM

Our cars are RHD - same as in England , we drive on the left hand side of the road.
The stupidity of our govt in trying to "ban" lhd cars is monumental. No one knows why they decided to make it difficult for us that have LHD cars..we think it was some govt official with too much time on their hands and who had got some sort of underhand kickback that dreamt all this up.

The stats for LHD cars having more accidents (one of their claims) is rubbish , they are about 1/5th the same stats (in proportion) as RHD cars..ie 1/5th LESS likely to have accidents..
Apart from which , most ambulances and fire trucks are LHD - effectively wiping THEM off the road..but TIA (this is Africa) where logic does not apply..
Hiya Mikey , yep it is a small word , I have gone from brash loud and violent Yank stuff , to a more refined and understated stiff upper lip and all that Brit "limo"
And I must say , I am enjoying it , whisper quiet , I feel cosseted by all the leather and greyish burl , a decent stereo and aircon and wafting along makes one sort of feel "superior"..of course the mental rush and off the line performance or the R that is "adequate" is not to be sneezed at.

As to french cars - those garlic breathed gaulloise smoking acordian playing frog leg eating car mnfgrs (RENAULT!!!!) deserve to be infested by the fleas of 1000 camels.

The Renault Scenic II my wife had was one of the most unreliable and expensive cars I have owned - if you think jag depreciates badly , my immaculate 3 yr old Scenic with 40 000 miles was sold for 1/4 of what I paid for it... a pox upon them...

I have decided not to add more Growl - and all I have done to make the STR a little more "racy" is to have a slight tint applied to the windows... 35%

I have found out that I have the dreaded flat battery syndrome - the bat is a year old.. 2 hrs of tinting where the guy played a lot with the window winders = no start click..
Considering 3 options

1) Get a new 100a/h Varta batt

2) Hook up another battery in parallel , let it charge off the alt in parallel with original battery from time to time , but have a cut off switch on it , sort of like a permanent booster battery that is always charged

3) Carry a bat booster starter thingy

4) a 4th option I don't really want to do as its very inconvenient , a Ctek trickle charger..and its very expensive here.

I would love the same ECU stuff I have for my vettes , data logging and then being able to change all sorts of stuff like fuel maps , box shift parameters and so on - I see it seems to be something unobtanium for the STR.

Anyway , it's great to see the level of knowledge here and the willingness to help..

Old 02-17-2014, 09:41 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You can have all the engine tuning functionality and more that you have with your corvettes
By using this unit.
http://www.mapecu.co.nz/2013/01/map-ecu3/

Rodney Gold (02-17-2014)