S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help and no one knows the answer. Do You?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I need help and no one knows the answer. Do You?

The difference between them is that the R headlights have projectors. Your Halogens will not fit in the fitting properly. Bodywise the headlights will fit 100%. But your halogens cannot simply be plugged into the unit without you upgrading to the HID system and fitting in your ballast. I was thinking to upgrade my 2001 headlights for newer ones like the 2003 R. BUT I found out I would need to upgrade to Xenonswhich made me change my mind. Also, the headlights come out by way of removing the front bumper. I wish I could give you better news but the process is expensive and troublesome.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to do the upgrade myself. From what I found, if the headlight assemblies come with the ballast and bulbs. then you need to splice the connection to the ballast. The stock halogen connectors will not fit into the ballast. I don't know how to wire these connections, but if you try using the forum search and look up "HID", "retrofit"or "xenon" to see what other people have done. I'm pretty sure there are a few people that were successful with the retrofit.

Btw, why do you need new headlights? Are they actually broken or is the lens worn out and dull? If it is the latter, you can fix it.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STR was 2003 and up if someone is telling you 200o they have not a clue

Old 09-23-2008, 12:36 AM

ORIGINAL: bcblade

I was about to do the upgrade myself. From what I found, if the headlight assemblies come with the ballast and bulbs. then you need to splice the connection to the ballast. The stock halogen connectors will not fit into the ballast. I don't know how to wire these connections, but if you try using the forum search and look up "HID", "retrofit"or "xenon" to see what other people have done. I'm pretty sure there are a few people that were successful with the retrofit.
This doesn't sound right. I'm at work now but I'll post a pic of the back of an OEM Hid headlight looks like, I'm pretty sure that they are 'plung n play'. Here is how I spliced into the headlight hareness to power my full size hid projectors...I'll provide better pis tomorrow

Name:  Picture004-2.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  38.1 KB

HID foglights projectors..
Name:  Picture002-1.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  26.7 KB

Pic of HID headlights & fogs against the garage door...

Name:  Picture018-1.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  21.0 KB

Old 09-23-2008, 12:42 AM

jjones I would buy them. Worst case senario you could always sell them if the deal is as good as you say it is

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 AM

i upgraded my factory headlamps to xenon projector headlamps on my 2001 jaguar s-type. you have to remove the bumper to put them on, which really it's that hard once you do it your first time, then you have to attach the headlights on the car. once you attach the headlamps, you will notice that there is no space between the back of the headlamp and the car. so have your after-market xenon kit ready to go so you can connect everything and put the bulb inside before you attach the bumper back on. once the bumper is back on there is no way you can really work on them because of the lack of space. after attaching the bumper back on you can use the two screws on top of the headlamp to adjust the projector.

i used http://www.xtralights.com/ which are pricey but have lasted a long time. i thought about the buying the cheaper kits on e-bay but decided not to, even though i hear some of those work pretty good. you have to buy D2S bulbs for the projectors. there was some other stuff i did to the headlight but there is some basic information to get you started. it's a decent project to do and takes time and some money but i think my jag looks better with them.

Last edited by jaguar14; 10-16-2009 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 AM

I use theXtralights systemalso likejaguar14. I use their Digital System. Yes alittle pricey, but a good system.
Regards

Old 09-25-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: jaguar14

i upgraded my factory headlamps to xenon projector headlamps on my 2001 jaguar s-type.
I was under the impression that S-type headlights with projectors had OEM hid's?
Jaguar14 your headlight didn't have oem equipped hid componets? They shoud unless they were pulled...

Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 PM

momo
I used the stock headlights on my 2002 with the Xtralights Digital system. Now I can see. The night became day.
Regards

Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

is your name really jim jones or are you just ballin out in your Jag?

as for the headlights, besides the actual lights you need the modules that control the motors as well as the ballast...im pretty sure at least, other then that they should work how $ much for the lights?

Old 09-30-2008, 06:51 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

you can fit later hid stype in, and have to change the wiring(is plug n play with a small wiring change), I use a relay to trigger ground for those I have done in friends cars. as for the leveling forget it, not only do you need the module, but axle height sensors and correct body harness. Most used one are broken inside this is why theyre replaced, you can tell by grabbing the connector for the high beam and watch the whole inned assembly flop around. I usually FIX this by siliconing a small peice of rubber hose between the high beam connector and housing to hold the assembly up and steady. But stypes are where I get all my HID projector assmeblies that I have modded and use in the bumper for fogs on my 05 Frontier, and I just finished swapping out my wifes 96 VDP lights to the later 98 and up clears and fitting the projectors into the back