Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I will be doing a full Tune up soon

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I will be doing a full Tune up soon

I need some assistance. I just replaced 2 coils and 3 plugs on my 00 S-Type
Im going to replace the rest, aswell as Air Filter, fuel filter, Plugs, anything else I need to do? Gaskets, hoses, anything under there that needs to be replaced so I dont need to go back under there for another 100k im at 100,500 now. Am I risking damaging anything??? let me know! its about to go Down!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 PM

1 more thing for some odd reason my 02 sensor is always cutting the light on. it goes on and off but mainly stays on, its always the reason the check engine light is on. I replace it nothing. it eventually comes back on. I come to yall because Jaguar cant fix it. whats with it?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Stype4life
I need some assistance. I just replaced 2 coils and 3 plugs on my 00 S-Type
Im going to replace the rest, aswell as Air Filter, fuel filter, Plugs, anything else I need to do? Gaskets, hoses, anything under there that needs to be replaced so I dont need to go back under there for another 100k im at 100,500 now. Am I risking damaging anything??? let me know! its about to go Down!
As long as you are pulling the intake manifold off you might as well replace the IMT O-rings. This is assuming you have the V6.

I would also recommend pulling the injector nozzles and getting them cleaned. There are places that can do this if you send them the nozzles.

Replace the cabin filter.

Clean out the throttle body.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:28 AM

i have v6 any more tips to keep this sensitive a$$ car in order were owners have to come together and figure **** out because jaguar is dumb and just want to replace everytthing?

Old 09-01-2010, 01:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

1 more thing for some odd reason my 02 sensor is always cutting the light on. it goes on and off but mainly stays on, its always the reason the check engine light is on. I replace it nothing. it eventually comes back on.
Did you properly diagnose it? You haven't given your evidence let alone your reasoning so how do you think anyone reading your post could help?

Heck, you still haven't put your car details in your profile despite people having to ask follow-up questions on your other thread. Nor have you stated V6 or V8. THINK about helping the people here - we're VOLUNTEERS.
I come to yall because Jaguar cant fix it. whats with it?
Rubbish. Maybe the shop you took it to haven't but you're probably dealing with a single tech who hardly ever sees a car with your problem. DIY or take it elsewhere.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-01-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by jagv8
Did you properly diagnose it? You haven't given your evidence let alone your reasoning so how do you think anyone reading your post could help?

Heck, you still haven't put your car details in your profile despite people having to ask follow-up questions on your other thread. Nor have you stated V6 or V8. THINK about helping the people here - we're VOLUNTEERS.

Rubbish. Maybe the shop you took it to haven't but you're probably dealing with a single tech who hardly ever sees a car with your problem. DIY or take it elsewhere.
00 6cyl stype
its been to jaguar 5 times with the issue with them keeping it over night once, is that diagnosis proper enough for you?

Old 09-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

i have v6 any more tips to keep this sensitive a$$ car in order were owners have to come together and figure **** out because jaguar is dumb and just want to replace everytthing?
I'm sure your frustrated...But some words to the wise, careful what you say and how you say it. There a few very skilled folks that float around here that actually work in Jaguar facilities. That makes this place different. Now, no names, but if a shop is not living up to your expectations you really need to go somewhere else.

Now, based on the very limited information that you have posted I would pull the intake and change all six coils, plugs, and wires. While the intake is off I would also replace the IMT O-rings. Then go over every inch of the the vacuum lines and electrical connectors, replacing everything that looks cracked or worn. Be real diligent looking for leaks. Then I would clean out the air box as well and change the air filter. Check the throttle body connections for any electrical connection issues and air leaks. Don't disturb it further. Also get the fuel injectors cleaned and and replace the fuel filter.

I assume since you wish to DIY this car you do have a service manual and decent OBDII scan tool. You will need these as you progress.

And to answer your question back at JagV8, no you haven't provided enough details, therefore I kind of gave you the whole list.. Now, with some diligent troubleshooting you may solve the issue without spending the large sum of money all the above mentioned things will cost to do at once.

Old 09-03-2010, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member

00 6cyl stype
its been to jaguar 5 times with the issue with them keeping it over night once, is that diagnosis proper enough for you?
It fits my thought of a single tech who doesn't know your car. Change shops or DIY.

BTW, it hasn't been "to Jaguar" - they don't own the shop. It's been to somewhere that has some vague connection with Jaguar - apparently so vague they keep having your car but don't fix it.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:57 AM

It fits my thought of a single tech who doesn't know your car. Change shops or DIY.

BTW, it hasn't been "to Jaguar" - they don't own the shop. It's been to somewhere that has some vague connection with Jaguar - apparently so vague they keep having your car but don't fix it.
Now that you mention it again, Your right. Its actually going to VW Tech next door and sometimes the Jaguar shop has it in thre garage, but your right again on that too its a small garage for 2 cars connected to the dealership. But it is the absolute only Jag spot in the city.

It has been to a place called Arrows Transmission in Richmond Va, in Chesterfield County by the Home Depot for inspection. They called me said hey you need new brakes...ok $300. called me back hey you need new rotors...ok $700 called me back said hey that light on is your check engine light it says you need an o2 sensor...ok $800. Pick my car up the check engine light comes on the way home auto zone is close stopped by they say o2 sensor. Goes off the next day on the way back right before I pull in. Told them to drive it and the light will come back on checked the milage. Picks it back up they say theres nothing wrong checked the Milage its the same as was when I dropped it off told them I checked the milage silence. Comes on leaving Arrows Transmission again Take it back o2 sensor left it for the day. I say this isnt fixed. Appears to me they just cut the check engine light off. Dont take your car to Arrows Transmission in Richmond, Chesterfield Va.

Transmission had problems took it to another place. Transmission Replaced threw in a o2 sensor in for good measure and its all good for a day o2 sensor light comes again. The car has been to 3 diffrent Places. Something is wrong here, and I cant figure it out.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by JOsworth
I'm sure your frustrated...But some words to the wise, careful what you say and how you say it..
Im sure hes a big boy and can handle himself.
There a few very skilled folks that float around here that actually work in Jaguar facilities. That makes this place different. Now, no names, but if a shop is not living up to your expectations you really need to go somewhere else.
I have been to 3 places I have no clue what to do besides let someone else tell me i need a o2 sensor
Now, based on the very limited information that you have posted.
what other info you need? 00 6 cyl s-type tune up??? It was acting funky like the transmission was going when I picked it up from oil change,and replaced 2 of the 3 coils on top of the engine by autozone instructions and all is almost well. im sure it will run better after all are replaced. I got 3 new plugs in. one plug had oil on it the day after my oil change. This makes me Question my Transmission replacement I had done.
I would pull the intake and change all six coils, plugs, and wires. While the intake is off I would also replace the IMT O-rings. Then go over every inch of the the vacuum lines and electrical connectors, replacing everything that looks cracked or worn. Be real diligent looking for leaks. Then I would clean out the air box as well and change the air filter. Check the throttle body connections for any electrical connection issues and air leaks. Don't disturb it further. Also get the fuel injectors cleaned and and replace the fuel filter.

I assume since you wish to DIY this car you do have a service manual and decent OBDII scan tool. You will need these as you progress..
This is going to be done when the weather cools a bit but need ducks in a row, I dont have a OBDII scan tool can these be rented? I dont have a service manuel either, is this going to be on ebay?
What is needed to reset the computer I will need to disconnect the battery right?
And to answer your question back at JagV8, no you haven't provided enough details, therefore I kind of gave you the whole list.. Now, with some diligent troubleshooting you may solve the issue without spending the large sum of money all the above mentioned things will cost to do at once.
In my opinion if its been 100k miles and jags have shown wear issues on those items I dont mind replacing them! I dont mind replacing things that can and will go bad if it gets the car running another 100k miles. I do not plan on going under there again.
now if that aint enough info just let me so you and JagV8 can help me out further and can let you know what you want to know me and this car been through hell and she is just starting to act right after lurking and posting here ofcourse. Preciate all the responses

Old 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Oh ouch! That's a tale of woe

For just a few $$$ you can get a fantastically good value OBD tool and at least read the actual code to help you (elm327 ebay $15-25).

Changing an O2 sensor can be painful on any car as they can (but don't always) more or less weld in (it's HOT in there!) but it's not really any worse on the jag than many other cars. Shops should be used to doing them. You can DIY.... fairly easy if not welded in but a PITA job if it is (unless you've the experience and tools).

A smallish number of other jag dealers have been found BAD by members but generally there's another within what may be quite long distance - but worth it to avoid the bad ones. Looks like you're in the really unlucky category

If the "o2 sensor light" is the generic light (MIL aka CEL) then it need not be an O2 sensor putting it on. It lights for any of many many things. So... think about at least the elm327. You can get the codes free from AutoZone but it's sure easier to DIY and you don't need AZ to be open.

The workshop manual is around $5-15 on ebay but take a look at the S-Type FAQ as I think there may be a download link. It's a BIG download though and may be worth just buying lol

Last edited by JagV8; 09-03-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by carelm
As long as you are pulling the intake manifold off you might as well replace the IMT O-rings. This is assuming you have the V6.

I would also recommend pulling the injector nozzles and getting them cleaned. There are places that can do this if you send them the nozzles.

Replace the cabin filter.

Clean out the throttle body.
will do good post

Old 09-03-2010, 11:40 AM

Oh ouch! That's a tale of woe

For just a few $$$ you can get a fantastically good value OBD tool and at least read the actual code to help you (elm327 ebay $15-25).

Changing an O2 sensor can be painful on any car as they can (but don't always) more or less weld in (it's HOT in there!) but it's not really any worse on the jag than many other cars. Shops should be used to doing them. You can DIY.... fairly easy if not welded in but a PITA job if it is (unless you've the experience and tools).

A smallish number of other jag dealers have been found BAD by members but generally there's another within what may be quite long distance - but worth it to avoid the bad ones. Looks like you're in the really unlucky category

If the "o2 sensor light" is the generic light (MIL aka CEL) then it need not be an O2 sensor putting it on. It lights for any of many many things. So... think about at least the elm327. You can get the codes free from AutoZone but it's sure easier to DIY and you don't need AZ to be open.

The workshop manual is around $5-15 on ebay but take a look at the S-Type FAQ as I think there may be a download link. It's a BIG download though and may be worth just buying lol
Thanks I will get that exact scanner and manuel I have gone through the faq page to guide me through the coil removal process but this extremly overwhelming and would take your advice I prefer to just have my cars information on deck rather then scan through that again.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

It actually looks like we are getting somewhere.. Wheww..

OK, first things first... The oil you saw on the plug. Was it from one of the rear most cyl? My guess is it was. I'm also guessing that it was from oil in the hole where the plug sits. The most common cause for that is oil seeping out of the IMT valve area due to faulty o-rings. Look in the FAQ or search IMT O-Rings..

I would be a little hesitant to jump into replacing all the coils.. They really aren't wear items since they are solid state electronics. That said, do some research on the coils by searching this site. You fill find that there are tags on the top and that there are some early ones that are known to be crappy. I don't remember the details or I would have said it. Just search here, it's there..If you have the crappy ones, then it would be worth while to change them since on the one side you need to pull the manifold.

My gut tells me that once you read the codes, your car will tell you that there is more going on than you think... Nothing bad, don't panic, but it may involve some digging. See, most places (Autozone) or quick places (the other shops?) only give the generic definition of the codes pulled... IE if it says "O2 sensor" in the description, then heck, that's what is wrong... Nah.. You'll need to pull the codes and get the "Jaguar" definition.. Based on the time I've spent here, I'm betting you have an air intake leak or a vacuum leak. That is causing the motor to try and compensate for it... then the O2 sensor sends back information and the car corrects for that.. Then... Then... You see the cycle? Hence, the car runs bad..

So, first things first... Get the scan tool.. Ask JagV8 about what you pick before you buy.. Trust his advise. From the time I've spent on here, if you work with him, he will help you a lot to get through the code mumbo jumbo.

In a nutshell... Find out what is causing the light first. Then by all means, service all that other stuff. It is a good idea to "tune" it by replacing stuff that is known to fail. Not argument here on that..

Old 09-03-2010, 02:31 PM

It actually looks like we are getting somewhere.. Wheww..

OK, first things first... The oil you saw on the plug. Was it from one of the rear most cyl? My guess is it was. I'm also guessing that it was from oil in the hole where the plug sits. The most common cause for that is oil seeping out of the IMT valve area due to faulty o-rings. Look in the FAQ or search IMT O-Rings..

I would be a little hesitant to jump into replacing all the coils.. They really aren't wear items since they are solid state electronics. That said, do some research on the coils by searching this site. You fill find that there are tags on the top and that there are some early ones that are known to be crappy. I don't remember the details or I would have said it. Just search here, it's there..If you have the crappy ones, then it would be worth while to change them since on the one side you need to pull the manifold.

My gut tells me that once you read the codes, your car will tell you that there is more going on than you think... Nothing bad, don't panic, but it may involve some digging. See, most places (Autozone) or quick places (the other shops?) only give the generic definition of the codes pulled... IE if it says "O2 sensor" in the description, then heck, that's what is wrong... Nah.. You'll need to pull the codes and get the "Jaguar" definition.. Based on the time I've spent here, I'm betting you have an air intake leak or a vacuum leak. That is causing the motor to try and compensate for it... then the O2 sensor sends back information and the car corrects for that.. Then... Then... You see the cycle? Hence, the car runs bad..

So, first things first... Get the scan tool.. Ask JagV8 about what you pick before you buy.. Trust his advise. From the time I've spent on here, if you work with him, he will help you a lot to get through the code mumbo jumbo.

In a nutshell... Find out what is causing the light first. Then by all means, service all that other stuff. It is a good idea to "tune" it by replacing stuff that is known to fail. Not argument here on that..
I have to take a look at the expenses here on the cost of everything and when everything is paid for i will come back to this thread hopefully the heat comes down a bit soon