Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts
Default I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good

This past week I had to replace the rear brake pads on my 2005 S-Type. Knowing my mechanical limitations I entrusted this task to my local Jaguar dealer even though their estimate was a bit higher than some others I got. One of the selling points of my dealership was the complimentary loaner car program. Anyway, I left my Jag off and picked up the loaner. No problem so far. After getting my S-Type after the brake job, my wife took the Jag to a doctor's appointment and I got a frantic call.." The car is on fire!" After calming her down I determined that the left rear caliper was probably out of adjustment. I then proceeded to the dealer about the problem and it was determined that the left rear caliper was frozen solid. The dealer remedy was to replace the offending caliper and both brake rotors under the Select Edition warranty at no cost to me. It may have been result of a procedural error or an actual part failure, but the end result was that I got free rotors out of the deal. Other than the fact I had to drive some rentals I am very happy about the outcome. Jaguar's support has been excellent in my opinion.

Mike

Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Yikes thats a little scary, good thing she is ok, although a bit rattled.

I bet it smelled awful!

Old 09-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
One of the selling points of my dealership was the complimentary loaner car program.

Mike was it the XF you were hoping for or one of these?

If the loaner wasn't like the above, I would have bin' pissed.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Mike was it the XF you were hoping for or one of these?

If the loaner wasn't like the above, I would have bin' pissed.
Rick,

It wasn't an XF nor a flamed out PT. Either one would have been cool. I got a Honda Civic. The dealership uses Enterprise. I continuously badger them about getting me an XF as a loaner but no luck. I wasn't real impressed with the Civic since it was the typical FWD econobox. The seats weren't real comfortable and it had a lot of road noise, almost to the point of discomfort. Anyway, I got the Jag back in time for the weekend. I don't think it has been this clean for a long time since the dealership washes the car and vacuums out the interior every time you bring it in for service. I normally bring it in for oil changes since they charge $50 which is a pretty good deal since it includes the car wash. Normally I bring the service staff a box of donuts so now they know me and will do a bit extra for me.

Mike

Old 09-17-2010, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

I bring the service staff a box of donuts

I have another but I think I would be banned forever!

Its amazing what a box of donuts or some bisciuts and gravy will get you!

Really I am glad things worked out for you.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

it was probably one of these hahaha:

Name:  BABYLAC.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  143.9 KB

Old 09-17-2010, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mafioso
it was probably one of these hahaha:

HEY NOW!!!!

I wonder if I can cram 3 car seats into this thing....HHhhmmmmmmmm

I do like the color! LOL

as usual this thread is going south quick!

nice find though Mafioso

Last edited by joycesjag; 09-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

Its actually pretty cool in person, its a through and through conversion.

I saw in person a couple years ago. It has Cadi seats, a cut down dash, all body cladding. Cadi door panels. the rear has a cut down reshaped eskie rear hatch door.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member

Then my only question is...... WHY?

Looks like someone one could park 2 in mine and I still would have the room for the 3 saftey seats and the option of the "bitch and nag"!

If you ever come across the owner tell him to remove the headlights and mix a cap of rubbing alcohol with a 1/4 cup water, pour into the headlamp, swish around and pour out. It will make them look like new! Unlike our Jags that have the oxidation on the exterior (outer) lamp.

Last edited by joycesjag; 09-17-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: ohh
Old 09-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

It was built by AutoWerks for the "minitruck" scene, just because its orginal and creative. Some people like it some dont. but you do have to give credit on the fabbing skills.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Mafioso I find humor in it! Although it looks based on a Geo. Don't get me wrong creative it is! The "WHY" question was rhetorical.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

yup you are dead on, it started life as a geo tracker. Im sure there is a drunk dare or bet somewhere behind a closed shop door hahaha.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Mike, glad you have a good dealer like me... Yea, I still like them even after the body work disaster....

Not to rub your brown nose in it... but for like a month...I put a ton of miles on one of these...

and for a week in one of these....

Actually liked black for the first time....

Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Mike, glad you have a good dealer like me... Yea, I still like them even after the body work disaster....

Not to rub your brown nose in it... but for like a month...I put a ton of miles on one of these...

and for a week in one of these....

Actually liked black for the first time....
Jeff,

I hate you! I am really afraid of driving an XF as I might not want to give it back. That would be rather costly and my wife would probably have me murdered. An odd thing about the new Jags is that it appears you can't adjust the seats unless you have the key fob handy. I tried a number of them in the dealership and nothing.

Mike

Old 09-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Then my only question is...... WHY?

Looks like someone one could park 2 in mine and I still would have the room for the 3 saftey seats and the option of the "bitch and nag"!

If you ever come across the owner tell him to remove the headlights and mix a cap of rubbing alcohol with a 1/4 cup water, pour into the headlamp, swish around and pour out. It will make them look like new! Unlike our Jags that have the oxidation on the exterior (outer) lamp.
Rick,

If you had one of those wheelchair thingies in the back, you could rig it up so the Tracker would be a dinghy. A lot of people call Caddies landy yachts so you might as well go whole hog and look the part.

Mike

Old 09-18-2010, 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Glad your dealer stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. My guess is that they caused the issue by rushing your initial brake pad job and did not thoroughly check the final reassembly as they should have....

I hope that you'll eventually be able to keep your wife out of your drivers seat. From the stories you've shared she needs to be a passenger, not a driver, whenever she's in your car ....

Old 09-18-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Mafioso
yup you are dead on, it started life as a geo tracker. Im sure there is a drunk dare or bet somewhere behind a closed shop door hahaha.
If they swapped the 6.0 LS2 in there that little truck would be wicked!

Old 09-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by androulakis
If they swapped the 6.0 LS2 in there that little truck would be wicked!

One of my buddies did something similar to his down here haha.

A 396 stroker in his suzuki samurai. that thing was a BEAST.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Glad your dealer stepped up to the plate and did the right thing. My guess is that they caused the issue by rushing your initial brake pad job and did not thoroughly check the final reassembly as they should have....

I hope that you'll eventually be able to keep your wife out of your drivers seat. From the stories you've shared she needs to be a passenger, not a driver, whenever she's in your car ....
Jon,

That's my guess as well but since I got a set of rotors out of the deal I'm happy.

As for my wife driving the Jag, I just pray she comes back in one piece. At a minimum, she fills up the ashtray with her cigarettes.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member

Rick,

If you had one of those wheelchair thingies in the back, you could rig it up so the Tracker would be a dinghy. A lot of people call Caddies landy yachts so you might as well go whole hog and look the part.

Mike

Ha Mike, the funny thing is that my buddy and his family came to visit and we took my "station wagon" to Myrtle over Labor Day (Joyce and the baby stayed home). Three adults, a pre-teen and two saftey seats, luggage, coolers blah blah..... Anyways to make a short story longer, they could not believe the room in this thing and he kept calling it a land yacht.

The heck with the Tracker on back, I would consider this convertible which would fit your description. All mine for a mere $18,000.00. Plus it would hold the 3 saftey seats in the 6 person version!

yee-haw!

Quick Reply: I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good