Sponsored by:

I'd Rather Be Lucky Than Good

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Jeff,

I hate you! I am really afraid of driving an XF as I might not want to give it back. That would be rather costly and my wife would probably have me murdered. An odd thing about the new Jags is that it appears you can't adjust the seats unless you have the key fob handy. I tried a number of them in the dealership and nothing.

Mike
Did the cars in the dealer have power? Some times dealers will park cars in the show room without the battery hooked up. I can't confirm since Jaguar Cleveland parks them with the fob in the console (except the Maserati's, those are always locked).

I totally agree about the XF.... After I drove the 385hp 5.0 I know that my S is not going to be my last Jag. I'm considering trading and getting something a little more practical, but Jenn already knows that one day in the next 5 to 10 years I will be coming home with an XF.

See, for me, the XF is one of my favorite cars of all time.... Right up there with the Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, Mercedes 450SL, and the Bentley Continental GT.

Here is a funny thing... I'm out in El Paso this week.. My rental is one of the most technically advanced cars.. a Prius... OMG I now fully understand why Clarkson hates it... What a POS!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Jeff,

I would think that the showroom cars would be powered up to allow prospective customers to adjust the seats etc. I sat in an XJ which was set up for someone rather short and my head hit the roof. When I tried to adjust the seat, nothing.

Mike

Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Were you wearing jeans or shorts? The new XJ seat controls don't accept any input unless you are wearing worsted wool or silk....

Old 09-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
Were you wearing jeans or shorts? The new XJ seat controls don't accept any input unless you are wearing worsted wool or silk....
Business casual since I just got off work. Maybe I should have brought along a jar of Grey-Poupon.

Mike

Old 09-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Ha Mike, the funny thing is that my buddy and his family came to visit and we took my "station wagon" to Myrtle over Labor Day (Joyce and the baby stayed home). Three adults, a pre-teen and two saftey seats, luggage, coolers blah blah..... Anyways to make a short story longer, they could not believe the room in this thing and he kept calling it a land yacht.

The heck with the Tracker on back, I would consider this convertible which would fit your description. All mine for a mere $18,000.00. Plus it would hold the 3 saftey seats in the 6 person version!

yee-haw!
Rick,

You need to paint it to match your Escalade first. Then have matching plates, RICK-CAD for the Escalade, RICK-CAD JR for the dinghy.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

nce the dealership washes the car and vacuums out the interior every time you bring it in for service. I normally bring it in for oil changes since they charge $50
Sounds like your dealership is way better than mine. When I get my car back I usually have to wipe off the handprints. And I only had them do my oil change once, it costed me $90!

The loaner they gave me once was a jeep commander, wow was that thing huge inside! My friend ended up buying a commander after she saw it.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member

Update: I had the same problem with the right rear caliper yesterday. Smoke and bad smells so back to the dealer. According to the service rep they think there was a glitch in the EPB software when they did the re-calibration. Apparently the technicians plug a laptop into the car and go through a software routine when re-calibrating the EPB after brake pad replacement. They will download a newer version of the calibration software as well as replacing the right rear caliper, pads and rotor at no charge due to the Select Edition Warranty. Perhaps one of the techs can shed more light on this calibration process.

Mike

Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,349 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Mike,

Thanks for the additional information. Please keep us posted as you learn more. Changing rear pads and then having to run a software calibration for the electronic parking brake is yet another reason why I dislike the EPB system so much....

I changed our front pads at about 31,000 miles. The rear pads still looked good when I did my 48,000-mile service in early August. Before I have to change the rear pads, I want to be fully informed on what challenges may present themselves to me, and this calibration issue sounds as if it could be Hassle Number One....

Thanks again for filling us in on your experiences....

Last edited by Jon89; 09-23-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

IIRC, Brutal posted before that if all is working OK then the software does not need to be used.

The EPB recalibration when you don't possess the software (and the tool!) is a sticky/FAQ.

It may well be that any dealer may tend to hook up their OBD tool, since they own one, and it will then allow all manner of things (as well as probably prompting to update any calibrations that have changed). That's not the same as it NEEDING to be done (e.g. by a DIYer).

Now, a seized EPB caliper (i.e. on the STR) may mean the EPB module/motor has lost its position setting. In the process of replacement it would make sense for a dealer to use their tool.

I see Mike's car is not an STR, so the EPB shares the caliper. Quite what can and cannot happen in terms of EPB losing its position setting, I do wonder LOL. It could still make sense for a dealer just to hook up their tool and reset the value(s), I guess.

Last edited by JagV8; 09-23-2010 at 11:04 AM.