Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Ignition barrel/lock

Hello everyone
I have the opportunity to purchase my 3rd s type
As some of you know my str is being fully rebuilt
And my wife's 4.2 is now at the panel shop
I have been offered this 2004 4.2 for $3500.00
only problem is it is 2500 km away from where I live
the only thing that is wrong with it is it needs a new ignition barrel as the one in the car is completely stuffed
been told key just keeps spinning in lock
If I purchased i would have to replace ignition barrel/lock
so I could drive vehicle home as I would have to fly to collect car and then would have a 3.5 hour ferry trip back to the south island in New Zealand

what I need advice with would any ignition barrel/ lock from year 2000 to 2003 fit
There are a couple of these s type at car wrecking yards
But they only the v6

Thanking you
Darrol

Old 07-03-2024, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrol2004
the only thing that is wrong with it is it needs a new ignition barrel as the one in the car is completely stuffed
been told key just keeps spinning in lock

what I need advice with would any ignition barrel/ lock from year 2000 to 2003 fit
For interchange details, take a look here:

https://parts.jaguarlandroverclassic.../brand/jaguar/

For #6, the mechanical lock portion, they show a break at VIN M45254, which was the end of pre-facelift production. So based on that, an earlier lock barrel is not interchangeable with a late model.

I'm also thinking swapping out the ignition lock/switch assembly could be quite the daunting task to perform at a remote location, with no guarantee of success. Do you have a back-up plan in case you end up stranded?

The lock/switch assembly is composed of three basic subsections. I don't know if the subsections can be easily separated, or if you'd have to swap over the entire unit. Depending on these details, you may have trouble with the security system:

1) The key lock barrel (#6 and 7), a purely mechanical device. When the key is inserted, the lock barrel can now be rotated to actuate the electrical switch portion (#2). You'd have to make sure the key is present for that particular lock barrel, or hire a locksmith to make a new key to match. It MIGHT be possible to omit this piece entirely to get home, and actuate the electrical switch with a screwdriver or similar tool.

2) The electrical switch (#2). This portion is just a basic switch with multiple poles. I think it has no security interface, other than the lock barrel prevents it from operating without the key. If both parts are the same, you should be able to swap from one vehicle to another if needed.

3) The PATS security system transceiver (#3). This is what talks to the magic chip in the key, and relays that important security information to the instrument cluster. If the magic chip specific to that vehicle is not present, PATS will panic and prevent the engine from operating. I don't know all the details, but think the transceiver is not programmed to a specific vehicle. It's just a 2-way radio station enabling communication between the key's magic chip and the instrument cluster.

The magic chip in the key is what is likely to cause trouble. Even if you find a suitable lock/switch assembly to install, the existing instrument cluster MUST see the magic chip which has been programmed specifically to that VIN. The vehicle-specific magic chip must be in close proximity to the PATS transceiver (#3). I don't know close it must be, but probably within inches. You MIGHT be able to swap the chip from one key to another, but am not sure. Be super careful not to lose it, as that will leave you stranded. Or maybe you could tape the car's original key (with magic chip) in close proximity to the transceiver. That might enough to fool the system to let you get home.

I do not know if having the second key (for the mechanical lock from the donor car) near the PATS transceiver will cause any trouble. Hopefully not, as it is not unusual for a driver to have more than one vehicle's key on their key chain.

Also, depending on the market, some cars have an interlock cable between the ignition lock/switch assembly and the transmission shift lever. The transmission can not be shifted out of park until the key has unlocked the lock barrel. If so equipped, and you're jury rigging the system to get home, you'd also have to defeat this interlock.

Last edited by kr98664; 07-03-2024 at 10:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kr98664:
JagV8 (07-03-2024), NBCat (07-03-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 01:59 AM
Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Hello thank for the information
having problems trying to get vin numbers from car wreckers
Have been given vin number of new s type
SAJACO1C23HM9O145
So now need to sort out what year will have a ignition barrel to fit

Back up plan to have car brought to me on transport truck
which im not keen on as quotes are from 2 k to 3.5 k

Old 07-04-2024, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,034 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by Darrol2004
Back up plan to have car brought to me on transport truck
which im not keen on as quotes are from 2 k to 3.5 k
Ouch, that's a lot of money. Any way to rent a suitable trailer and do it yourself?

As far as Plan A, I don't mean to discourage you from trying the ignition swap. It should work as long as you are aware of the precautions for the security system. Maybe get a switch assembly and play with it from the comfort of your workbench, to get an idea what would be involved.

Old 07-04-2024, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 562 Likes on 423 Posts

It is doable. You would remove the entire ignition lock barrel assembly and replace with a donor one. You leave the interlock attached and unplug the old and in with the new. But. New assembly has to be programmed to vehicle via sdd. Being that you have a key to match the security you might be able to hotwire at the plugin of the ignition it self. If the ignition is dash mounted you remove the bottom steering column cover and ignition plastic surround circle. Then reach in there and pull down sharply on the upper back of the switch assembly. When loose from the dash you can now work with it and get to the electrical plug and get more space. If you are able to replace the barrel and /or entire ignition switch you will need 2 keys to program it to the I/C security system. Sounds like a lot of work but to save 3 grand it might be worth a try

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (07-04-2024)