Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Try the dealer, they're not expensive.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:29 PM
tdc
Received 63 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey... Great information "as always"

Thanks for posting.. Hopefully I'll never need it!..

Old 12-11-2010, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by tdc

Hopefully I'll never need it!
You won't tdc on a V8

Old 03-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the great write-up. I'm pretty sure this part is giving me problems on the LS too. But I've got to ask: why is there oil in this part of the intake? Seems kinda odd to me and the techs at my local Ford shop have no clue. Planning on doing the work myself when I find the time to replace the plugs and coils. I've got a misfire and burning oil smell with no obvious leaks or drips. Hope you all can help.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:26 AM
Veteran Member

It is blow by oil that is getting sucked back up into the engine to be burnt again in the cylinders, part of lowering the emissions. Some of the blow by oil doesn't make it back down and "pools" in the lower port of the manifold.

There is an easy way to replace without having to take the intake manifold off, atleast on on Jaguar 3.0s. I don't know about the LS intake.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,350 Likes on 2,847 Posts

I remember a posting by a technician on a different forum (Roadfly, I think) a couple of years ago where he stated that the Lincoln LS Duratech engine did not use intake manifold tuners, and therefore could not suffer from the faulty IMT O-ring problem. Don't know how true or false that statement is, but you may want to check with a local Lincoln service manager and see if he can confirm....

Old 03-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Default Burnt smell after O-ring replacement

Originally Posted by MrBachelor
Hey guys, thanks for the great write-up. I'm pretty sure this part is giving me problems on the LS too. But I've got to ask: why is there oil in this part of the intake? Seems kinda odd to me and the techs at my local Ford shop have no clue. Planning on doing the work myself when I find the time to replace the plugs and coils. I've got a misfire and burning oil smell with no obvious leaks or drips. Hope you all can help.
I replaced the o-rings but was still getting a burnt smell. That turned out to be a small crack in the coolant reservoir. The coolant would drip down onto parts of the motor and coolant tubes, which resulted in a burnt smell. It was hard to locate, initially. I replaced the reservoir (part was around $100, but the install was so easy). I am still smelling something getting hot, but I am hoping that it's just some residual coolant that I need to rinse off. Not sure if the LS has the same faulty reservoir, which the Jaguar parts guy said was a chronic issue with the 3.0.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thjagua03
I am still smelling something getting hot, but I am hoping that it's just some residual coolant that I need to rinse off. Not sure if the LS has the same faulty reservoir, which the Jaguar parts guy said was a chronic issue with the 3.0.
I see you have the 3.0. Might be the dreaded oil pan gasket leaking that some of these motors are prone to do. There is a definte destinction between hot (burnt) coolant verses oil burnt smell.

Or even the valve cover gaskets dripping oil onto the exhaust manifolds. Could be a combination of both.

Somewhat easy way to DIY. Pull off the belly pan clean (degrease) under and around the oil pan, drive a day or two, lift vehicle and inspect.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
It is blow by oil that is getting sucked back up into the engine to be burnt again in the cylinders, part of lowering the emissions. Some of the blow by oil doesn't make it back down and "pools" in the lower port of the manifold.

There is an easy way to replace without having to take the intake manifold off, atleast on on Jaguar 3.0s. I don't know about the LS intake.
Yeah I saw the "short method" proceedure but wanted to replace the coils, plugs, and PCV valve hose too. I have nearly 100,000 mi on my LS now and it is in need of a tune-up. In addition to the burning smell, I have an intermittant misfire that has been giving me hell. I expect it is time to replace the plugs and was going to do the coils while I was in there. They are expensive though so I may just do the plugs for now.

Originally Posted by Jon89
I remember a posting by a technician on a different forum (Roadfly, I think) a couple of years ago where he stated that the Lincoln LS Duratech engine did not use intake manifold tuners, and therefore could not suffer from the faulty IMT O-ring problem. Don't know how true or false that statement is, but you may want to check with a local Lincoln service manager and see if he can confirm....

I don't think that is accurate. The 3.9L jag engine in the LS definately does not have the IMT valve. However the 3.0 is nearly identical to that in the Jag, intake included. I have seen the photos and looked at my engine and it does appear to have the same parts. It is cheap insurance at the least.

Originally Posted by thjagua03
I replaced the o-rings but was still getting a burnt smell. That turned out to be a small crack in the coolant reservoir. The coolant would drip down onto parts of the motor and coolant tubes, which resulted in a burnt smell. It was hard to locate, initially. I replaced the reservoir (part was around $100, but the install was so easy). I am still smelling something getting hot, but I am hoping that it's just some residual coolant that I need to rinse off. Not sure if the LS has the same faulty reservoir, which the Jaguar parts guy said was a chronic issue with the 3.0.
Mine is definately oil. Just have to confirm weather it is IMT valve rings or valve cover gaskets. Either way, something has to be done to relieve the stench of oil and the misfire. Just hope I didn't burn out a cat running lean from the misfire....

Old 03-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Mine is definately oil. Just have to confirm weather it is IMT valve rings or valve cover gaskets. Either way, something has to be done to relieve the stench of oil and the misfire. Just hope I didn't burn out a cat running lean from the misfire....
My untrained unprofessional thoughts are that the inner valve cover gasket meaning the spark plug well gasket is leaking in the #5 or #6 cylinder and that is causing the misfires. Its pretty easy to check the #6 cylinder, just remove the plastic cover, unbolt the COP (coil over plug) shine a flashlight down into the plug well. To check #5 cylinder you'll have to pull off the intake manifold.

Can you post the misfire codes?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
My untrained unprofessional thoughts are that the inner valve cover gasket meaning the spark plug well gasket is leaking in the #5 or #6 cylinder and that is causing the misfires. Its pretty easy to check the #6 cylinder, just remove the plastic cover, unbolt the COP (coil over plug) shine a flashlight down into the plug well. To check #5 cylinder you'll have to pull off the intake manifold.

Can you post the misfire codes?
These came up after "limp home mode" was activated
P2110 Throttle acuator control forced limited rpm
P2107 Throttle acuator control forced limited power

These were the most recent codes pulled
P0420 Catalyst below threshold
P0304 Misfire cyl 4 (is this one driver or passenger side?)

I'm still getting a miss at about 1800 rpm as I accellerate and about 2200 at speed (60mph) when trying to accellerate on the highway. Sometimes the dummy light will blink when it is really giving me problems (indicates current misfire per owner's manual).

If it is a plug well filled with oil would that require replacement of the coils or would it be enough to clean out the well and coil and replace the gasket?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,520 Likes on 3,931 Posts

I'd expect cyl 4 to be your driver side.
Is that "dummy" light meaning ..... well, what? Who is the dummy? Just wondering where the terminology comes from!
Flashing means catalyst-damaging misfire. The kind I would want to fix NOW or not drive the car.
Those codes look to be unique to the LS. Interesting.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagv8
Flashing means catalyst-damaging misfire. The kind I would want to fix NOW or not drive the car.
Those codes look to be unique to the LS. Interesting.

Agreed get it fixed pronto.

Also you should find a Lincoln Forum, there would be better information on your LS. Unless its like the 2 Cadillac Forums that I belong to. One not much traffic at all, and the other is a bunch of wanna be's either "rollin' on da' 28s" or "floorin' da' bitch".

Old 03-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Definitely need to get this stuff fixed before something really bad happens.

I do have a Lincoln forum www.lincolnvscadillac.com There are some great guys over there with vast knowledge about the performance and mechanicals of the LS. You will always have those "rollin on dubs" kind of people too though. I came here because of this thread and my oil leak, someone at LvC pointed me to this post (and I have always had a soft spot for Jags).

The "check engine light" is called a "dummy light" because the warning method is dumb. Here we are in 2011 and the car can't just tell you what is wrong. It still has to be "read" with tools the average man does not have. Sure, some cars can tell you which tire is low on air or when a bulb is out but You get the same indication for a fouled plug, bad O2 sensor, failing coil or when the gas cap is loose on most cars. The light just irritates me.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the explanation of the forums.

Heres another link for checking the IMTs, should be kind of close to an LS then:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=49214

Old 03-09-2011, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

The "check engine light" is called a "dummy light" because the warning method is dumb. Here we are in 2011 and the car can't just tell you what is wrong. It still has to be "read" with tools the average man does not have. Sure, some cars can tell you which tire is low on air or when a bulb is out but You get the same indication for a fouled plug, bad O2 sensor, failing coil or when the gas cap is loose on most cars. The light just irritates me.
The light is mandated by law by your government. Good idea to take it up with them.

The car was designed in around 1996. Expecting better diagnostics in that era is unrealistic. Besides, hardly any owners even look up the details in the car handbook.

Future cars COULD be different, but as owners don't even read the manual I would not have many hopes. The ones who have a clue read up on OBD, as there's plenty of free and good data. That way the owner isn't dumb.

A really great set of tools for OBD costs about $60. Not getting them tends to imply strongly that the owner isn't genuinely bothered about the issue.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
The light is mandated by law by your government.
The "check engine light" is called a "dummy light"
From my perspective, you two are in perfect agreement!

Old 03-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member

Not really. As I said, the person should get on to their government. Or put a bit of effort in to learn.

Any person not bothering to find out information (especially when it's free!) that is of use to that person but instead spouting about it with terms like "dummy" says a lot about that person.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

John, here in the states the MIL has been called "dummy or idiot light" forever. Just one of those American slang terms.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member

Doesn't make it right.

Last edited by JagV8; 03-09-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Quick Reply: IMT O-Ring replacement (short route) w/pics FAQ