S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMT O-rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default IMT O-rings

I cannot find them. Do not have a Jag dealer within 70-80 miles. What does "IMT" stand for? Is there a part number for an '02 3.0L S-type IMT o-ring?

Is there another name I might find it listed under at a parts store? I finally found the upper intake manifold gaskets.

I would really like to change the spark plugs this weekend.

Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

You're going to use the proper spark plugs - right?

If your car's not done approx the mileage where a change is needed, using the right plugs is fairly expensive. Using the wrong ones could be a case of taking out good plugs and putting in bad ones (which may seem OK for a while).

Obviously, check the existing ones for signs of anything wrong and be sure you know which cylinder each was in. Likewise the coils.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8

If your car's not done approx the mileage where a change is needed, using the right plugs is fairly expensive. Using the wrong ones could be a case of taking out good plugs and putting in bad ones (which may seem OK for a while).

Obviously, check the existing ones for signs of anything wrong and be sure you know which cylinder each was in. Likewise the coils.
JagV8,

You never seem to answer the questions I ask. Obviously I have the JTIS, but I am not finding the IMT O-rings listed there. Can you help me find them in the JTIS? Can you help me know what the I.M.T. is? What does "IMT" stand for? Do you have a picture?

Anyone else able to help.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:48 AM

What are the correct plugs? I have no clue if the original plugs are still in the engine. I bought it with 75,000 miles. I know most plugs are good for 100K. But since I will be in there, I thought I might as well change them at 91-92K.

I think I am pretty close. I do want to see if the plugs on that side are fouled. I'm getting a code that could result from unburnt gas getting into the cat. Tat should show on the plugs if there is a serious problem.

Yes. That is want I plan to do first. Do you know what plugs Jag puts in the 3.0L stock?

Back to the real question: What is the IMT? and the IMT o-ring(s)? Where are they located? Pics? Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

I wish I could tell you what spark plugs you have in your 2002 S-Type 3.0, but there is no way to know until you get in there and have a look. If the factory plugs were iridium, there's a chance your car still has its factory plugs since iridium plugs can easily go 120,000 to 150,000 miles or more and still perform flawlessly.

Our 2005 S-Type 3.0 runs NGK TR6AP13E iridium plugs. Yours may as well. You should call a Jaguar dealership with your VIN number and find out what plugs are recommended. I've always had the best results with an iridium plug from either NGK or Denso.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

BugDoc,

I've previously told you what I would do if it were my car. You're doing what you want to do, which is something different. You appeared to be going to replace a cat - which could be the right thing to do but will be expensive so I suggested you diagnose the fault before spending a lot of money.

If I wanted to know what plugs were needed in your V6 I'd ask Jaguar. As you know, I don't have a V6 so why would I know?

I didn't refer you to IMT anythings. Ask the original poster if you can't find it via a search.

I may well not answer your questions, firstly because I don't have to but mainly because sometimes I think you're asking the wrong question or proposing the wrong "fix".

Hopefully you won't buy the wrong gaskets or a cat that won't fit, either or both of which were seeming to be possibilities.

Old 07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Bugdoc check out this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12249 I was told theses are called IMT O-Rings. The picture is of the rear of the intake (after its removal) I believe that the part numbers for the O-Rings is XR851930

Some also call this the Tuning Valve O-Rings

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-30-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I wish I could tell you what spark plugs you have in your 2002 S-Type 3.0, but there is no way to know until you get in there and have a look. If the factory plugs were iridium, there's a chance your car still has its factory plugs since iridium plugs can easily go 120,000 to 150,000 miles or more and still perform flawlessly.

Our 2005 S-Type 3.0 runs NGK TR6AP13E iridium plugs. Yours may as well. You should call a Jaguar dealership with your VIN number and find out what plugs are recommended. I've always had the best results with an iridium plug from either NGK or Denso.
Thanks Jon89.

I will pull a couple from the driver's side tomorrow. They are easy to get to. I'll post here what is in there. I just don't know what "is original" in this car since I got it with 76K miles on it. There are somethings that have definitely been changed.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
I usually replace with NGKs too. I'll try to call the Jag dealer tomorrow. Thanks.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Bugdoc check out this post https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12249 I was told theses are called IMT O-Rings. The picture is of the rear of the intake (after its removal) I believe that the part numbers for the O-Rings is XR851930

Thanks JoycesJag. Do you have a pic of the actual o-rings? Thanks again for your help and for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry no pics of a green 3.5" diameter by 1/8" thick rubber o-ring.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Sorry no pics of a green 3.5" diameter by 1/8" thick rubber o-ring.
What?!?!?! You did not take a pic of every part you have put on your vehicle? How is she going to know you love her?

I'll call Jaguar tomorrow and see if I can get some coming. I assume these do not need to be prelaced every time the intake is removed. (Am I right about that?)

Old 07-31-2009, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Ha!!! I know I can't believe that I did not take any pics of them! As I had mentioned we purchased ours from a dealer in Fl. off EBay. "They said mechanically purrrrfect! Within 2 days the IMT, pass. side valve cover and oil pan gasket "started" to leak hmmmm.... So I took pictures of all said repairs and sent them down with receipts to see if they were reputable and would cover parts... They did not. Oh well we still got a unbelievable deal and vehicle. Don't be discouraged, once you get over this hurdle, you are going to love your automobile!

Correct! If I were doing what you are about to do, I would replace them. They are about $5.00 each. "old" style O-rings are yellow which are a bit smaller then the "new" style green ones THAT Jaguar sells now.

As far as parts, www.jaguarparts.com (Ibelieve they advertise here) will set you up. Lots of good reviews here on this forum. They are located in Cleveland, Oh.

I found it alldatadiy are the ones that call it IMT
IMT = Intake Manifold Tuning Valve

Last edited by joycesjag; 07-31-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:35 AM

Just so others don't get confused... that part number, XR851930, is for the valve cover gasket.

I cannot find the IMT o-ring listed on jaguarparts.com. But they list the upper intake manifold as follows:

Manifold gasket, s-type, 3.0l, upper
00-07 MSRP $11.20 You Pay $9.52

Am I correct in assuming that I need 6 of these and this is not "one set"?

Is there any place online that has Jag Parts microfiche so I can look to make certain I am getting the right parts, or find one I don't know the name Jag uses for it?

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joycesjag
I'm looking at your picture and I can't tell what part of the manifold that is.
I know there is one IMT valve at the top and the other behind the manifold, right?
Is your Jag an S-Type? What year is it?

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member

The 2 IMT control valves are black in color located at the rear of the intake manifold near the passenger firewall. One atop the other.

2005 S Type 3.0 litre. My IMT (tuning valve) O-Rings went bad before the 42,000 mile mark.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,387 Likes on 2,866 Posts

It's not the intake manifold tuner valve (IMT) that needs replacing. It's just the rubberized O-ring that fits around each valve and seals them airtight into the manifold chamber where they fit. You'll need two of them, make sure they are the new green-colored ones, and I paid less than $5 for both of them at a Jaguar parts department here in NC. They can be changed by removing the wiper blades, removing the windshield cowl, and then you have enough room back there to work. The space is tight but it is doable - I did it last month. You'll need a small, thin 8mm box wrench to get back there and remove the two bolts that hold each IMT valve in place in the manifold. You remove the upper IMT valve first, then the lower IMT valve, remove the old O-rings surrounding the IMT valves, slide the new O-rings into place, then re-install the lower IMT valve first and the upper IMT valve last. Search this forum using the phrase "IMT O-ring replacement" and you'll find a number of threads on this subject that will guide you through the process and even show you photos of what to look for....

Take our word for it - your 2005 S-Type (if it is the 3.0 V6) will need this O-ring swap sooner rather than later. You're right at the mileage where the inferior original O-rings tend to fail. Just do it. Once you do, the problem is solved on your car because the new O-ring design is larger, rounder, and provides a permanent seal. Vacuum leaks cause havoc in these engines, everything from misfires to poor idling to poor performance. $5 worth of parts and a couple hours of labor in your driveway solves it. Again, just do it....

Oh, and as for that lousy cowl foam - it disintegrates over time on every one of these cars. Not much you can do about it. Most folks just vacuum it up with a shop vac and don't bother trying to replace it....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-25-2010 at 07:00 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

I agree with what Jon said above, heres the step by step with pics replacement thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135

Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with what Jon said above, heres the step by step with pics replacement thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=32135
Cannot seem to access the pic's. When I click on the attachments it comes up with a priv. mssg. Is there another way to get the pictures?

Quick Reply: IMT O-rings