Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMT O-rings Revisited

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts
Default IMT O-rings Revisited

My daughter's home from University for Christmas with her 03 S-Type 3.0L. She complained of a burning smell a few weeks ago and my protestations that "that's just what LA smells like" were unconvincing. So I extracted myself from the X300 section of this great forum long enough to discover the IMT O-ring issue. Sure enough, a finger-swipe along the aft edge of the intake manifold returned oil. 84K miles so I thought I'd go the "long version" and replace the spark plugs while I'm at it. While planning my parts-buys, I thought, heck, better check the wife's 05 S-type 3.0L just in case....and yep....oily as well. 48K on that one so I'll go the short route for it (God blessed me with small hands and small feet)

First question: Assumption is I'll only remove the upper intake manifold, so would need only the upper manifold gaskets, right? Dealer: $11something X 6 pcs = $70.50, + $3.79 ea for the o-rings.
However, Rock Auto has this one: FEL-PRO Part # MS96484 for $24.79
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1135969
and "Ralph" at Rock assured me today over the phone that the part is like the picture and you get the two pcs shown.....unlike the 3 heater hose connector's for my Excursion I thought I ordered a few weeks ago...but I digress......called "Plenum Gasket Set; upper set" in the fuel/air category. THey also have "Intake Manifold Gasket set; lower set" ($12.95) under the "engine" category, and I didn't ask, but I suspect a "set" may be (1) there despite the picture. FINALLY! I promised a question,
Does this (upper set) look like what I'll need? ($70.50-$24.79= (nearly) 1/2 of an x300 clock module repair!)
Next option would be to try my friendly Lincoln dealer but wouldn't bother with that if someone has done it recently enough to remember what it looks like and confirm the Fel-Pro part works...

Leaning toward this for the spark plugs: BOSCH Part # 4505 PLATINUM IR FUSION due to the special. I realize everybody "luv her own spark plug" but does anyone have horror stories with Bosch?

Thanks to any and all who managed to slog all the way through it, and 2Xthanks for any replies!
Zane

Attached Thumbnails IMT O-rings Revisited-gasket.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, use NGK plugs. Had a few S-types come in, running bad, that just had Bosch plugs put in them. Use NGK plugs.

The following users liked this post:
aholbro1 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Howdy Zane welcome over to the S section.

First on the 2003, I am unsure of the gaskets that you posted, I don't know if Jaguar changed the gaskets between the '03s and '05s, but the '05 upper intakes are not connected nor do they have the "ears" or "tabs".

Something you might want to check into as well is, does the '03 have a PCV located in the lower intake, I am not a tech, so I do not know if your daughters motor has one, if it does and is located in the lower intake you will have to purchase lower intake gaskets as well if you decide to replace it. There is a difference between the upper and lower gaskets. NOTE: I have read on this forum that some techs reuse the intake gaskets, I myself spent the extra cash on the new gaskets from Jaguar ($70.00 = piece of mind).

The only difficult part I had on going the long route is: there is a vacuum line that runs from the brake booster to the rear of the intake manifold, I had a VERY difficult time trying to remove the line from the intake. I ended up having to purchase a new intake coupler for $6.00 through Jaguar, (parts guy said he had never sold 1 before, but they had it in stock). Brutal in this post explained how to remove: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=12375
Originally Posted by Brutal
To remove the line, push down on the black collar where the line goes in and tghis releases the line as you lift up.

Brake booster vacuum line center of photo.

Another thing to consider on the '03 is, what condition are the plastic vacuum lines in, they are prone to cracking and may need to be replaced as well.

I did change out my wifes plugs with iridium plugs at 42k? again over kill but I was in there. I just can't remember what brand I used, I could check later.

good luck, lets know about the '03 intake gaskets

aholbro1 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

I concur with Rick's excellent advice on going the long route if you plan to replace your spark plugs while you're in there. As has been previously said, go with NGK iridium plugs. You only want to do this once and NGK iridium plugs give you by far the best chance of not having to do it again....

I went the short route with our 2005's IMT O-rings back in January. Definitely the way to go with your wife's 2005 if she does not need plugs yet. Your small hands will definitely benefit you here. I have huge hands and wasted 20 minutes or more wanting to do the lower IMT valve myself while my small-handed buddy was tapping me on the shoulder all the while saying "Let me do it for you." That made me try even harder and I finally succeeded getting the lower IMT valve in and buttoned up, but I now regret being stubborn and wasting his time....

aholbro1 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

LOOK in the thread about ford / jag cross references.

You can all the gaskets, upper and lower for less than $50.

George

aholbro1 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Looks like I've got a bit more research and under-bonnet inspection to complete before I launch the parts-order. Don't really fancy removing the lwr manifold but better here and now in the confines of my own shop and at a leisurely pace than 5 hours distant in a school residence lot with daughter both mad and embarassed......if it is indicated. Trying to keep a sense of balance, yes, I want it to be trouble-free so as not to endanger her nor distract her from studies..but she'll put less than 2500 mi. on it before she's back here for the summer...so no point in rebuilding from the ground up!

Rick, interesting you changed plugs at 42K? Were you already into the intake manifold to get at cracked vacuum lines or something? I wouldn't say I "need" 'em yet even on my daughter's 03 at 84K...no misses...they fire, each one in turn. Got an 03 F150 with 87K and still running original plugs, same thing...but certainly, if already in the area, it surely doesn't hurt to renew them.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Looks like I've got a bit more research and under-bonnet inspection to complete before I launch the parts-order.
Please do, you might find that I am correct in the vacuum lines. most dealers do stock them since they are a common failure. Again I am unsure about the PCV in in '03.

Don't really fancy removing the lwr manifold but better here and now in the confines of my own shop and at a leisurely pace than 5 hours distant in a school residence lot with daughter both mad and embarassed......if it is indicated.
The lower manifold is just a couple of more bolts, pretty easily done when the upper intake is already removed.

Trying to keep a sense of balance, yes, I want it to be trouble-free so as not to endanger her nor distract her from studies..but she'll put less than 2500 mi. on it before she's back here for the summer...so no point in rebuilding from the ground up!
We all hear that!!!! But while you already are into the project thus far, whats a few more dollars and an extra hour or so, not having to rip everything back apart only to change a $5.00 PCV?

Rick, interesting you changed plugs at 42K? Were you already into the intake manifold to get at cracked vacuum lines or something?
I had to change the passenger leaking valve cover gasket that required the upper intake to be removed. My wife drives 4 miles a day, 5 days a week thats it. In our ownership JoycesJag will never see much past 60k in the next few years, if that. I am an over kill kinda guy, the original spark plugs looked like new, but I already had the intake off. (I am an idiot ,but not a cheap one, dumb maybe but not cheap). FYI my vacuum lines were (are) in great condition, I did not opt to replace.

I wouldn't say I "need" 'em yet even on my daughter's 03 at 84K...no misses...they fire, each one in turn. Got an 03 F150 with 87K and still running original plugs, same thing...but certainly, if already in the area, it surely doesn't hurt to renew them.
With the mileage your daughter drives maybe you don't have (want) to but I personally would. Could be a great selling point when you tell a perspective buyer that you have recently changed 100k plugs. But as you originally posted, if she is just smelling burnt oil, then go the IMT short route first, saving yourself lots of time and cash. If she complains after changing them then you will be changing a valve cover gasket tha would lead you into the long route or in reality valve cover replacement, which would coincide with changing the spark plugs.

I just looked, JoycesJag is firing on Autolite XP 103's, I just pulled #1 out and looks like new!

Zane keep us abreast.

Good luck with your decision

Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

BTW Zane am I reading your member name correctly, if so I love it!!!!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Veteran Member

lol!
Maybe....but that's not how it originated.....

I worked for a Ford Tier 1 supplier in the 90's and had an account on Ford's WERS (worldwide engineering release system)
They utilized first name initial + first 6 of last name...then sequential numbering if it was a duplicate of someone alreay in the system, thus christened me "Aholbro1" (Zane is middle name) and it made a handy userid that I was always able to remember. Would be even more graphic if my last name actually had an "e" between the "l" and "b" as some spell it!

But just in case I really am the first brother....you'll be happy to know my older brother is over there in your part of the country, Clover, SC!

Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

lol!
Maybe....but that's not how it originated.....

I worked for a Ford Tier 1 supplier in the 90's and had an account on Ford's WERS (worldwide engineering release system)
They utilized first name initial + first 6 of last name...then sequential numbering if it was a duplicate of someone alreay in the system, thus christened me "Aholbro1" (Zane is middle name) and it made a handy userid that I was always able to remember. Would be even more graphic if my last name actually had an "e" between the "l" and "b" as some spell it!

But just in case I really am the first brother....you'll be happy to know my older brother is over there in your part of the country, Clover, SC!
LOL ah thank you for clarifing that, I still like it.

Clover is minutes up the street from us.

Does post #7 make sense, I kinda have diarrhea of the fingies tonight.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Veteran Member

Does post #7 make sense, I kinda have diarrhea of the fingies tonight.

Totally....though to be honest I didn't even see it until after I had posted #9.

For my daughter's car, I am definitely doing long route, with plugs, and pull the lower manifold if necessary for PCV replacement or vacuum lines look suspect. Not yet sure if I'll heed the advice of many and go with NGK Iridium vice the Bosch Iridium/Yttrium...primarily because with the special through end of 2010, it is $7.98/ea vs. $3.68/ea....or (nearly) the other half of x300 clock repair!

Back in the day when I thought Champion and Autolite were the only makers of plugs in the world, I had a couple of bad experiences with Champion and placed them to my permanent blacklist, joining "Dodge" and preceding tires with the word "Good" molded on 'em, Any GE appliance, and Snapper mowers. But I digress, and don't mean any offense to any fans of those companies...just scars from past experiences that I don't care to relive, no matter how often nor convincingly they reinvent themselves. I have no experience with Bosch plugs but do have NGK's scattered about the toolbox and shop that I've forevermore cleaned and sanded on to get one or another of the dirt-bikes started....but I'll attribute always fussin' with those to the accounts of Honda, Yamaha, and Kawasaki and our own limited, infrequent use rather than any fault of NGK. And if I DO go with Bosch and the Jag starts missing..a pox on me and Jaglover922 and Jon89 are welcome to load a Dodge truck up with GE appliances, fit Champion plugs and "Good(rich/year)" tires and cruise round and round my circle drive honking the horn whilst I change 'em out for NGK's! lol.

For the wife's, short route - unless I see something untoward that requires the long route. If my little hands prove too large, I still have two kiddos whose hands are actually yet smaller than mine (9 and 11) and are pretty good to come check on me once in awhile out in the shop!

Sounds like Joyce's usage similar but slightly more car-friendly than my daughter's. I asked if she would use a car-cover if I bought her one? "Probably not...I drive nearly every day, just not that much....the SI classes and sorority stuff is at night and I'm afraid to walk across campus so I drive..." so I guess she's getting maybe 3/4 mi. per day, maybe 4-6 miles on Sunday, and a 400 mile highway trip at school start and holidays.

For what it's worth, I have really enjoyed reading the posts of yourself and Jon89 - both entertaining and quite informative.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

The plugs are due for change at 70,000 miles (NOT at 100K, that's the V8).

Also, be sure to use the right plugs. Nowadays it really matters. A small amount of misfires would mean fuel and air burning in the cats and gradually destroying them - thus an extra expense way above the cost of the plugs. Also, misfires show as extra O2 so more fuel is added even though in reality none should be, so you waste yet more fuel.

Cars stopped being simple about 25 years ago. Now they're complex.

aholbro1 (12-17-2010)
Old 12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Looks like the (2003) 3.0L has no PCV valve atall?

From JTIS:

Positive Crankcase Ventilation SystemVehicles fitted with 4.2L engine:

On vehicles fitted with a 4.2L engine the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) system consists of a PCV valve, and two PCV hoses. The PCV valve is mounted on the right-hand valve cover and a hose is connected between PCV valve and the throttle body elbow. The PCV valve regulates the amount of ventilation air and crankcase gas supplied to the intake manifold and also prevents backfiring into the crankcase. The left-hand valve cover PCV hose is connected to the air cleaner outlet pipe.

Vehicles fitted with 2.5L and 3.0L engine:

On vehicles fitted with 2.5L and 3.0L engine the PCV system consists of two hoses, connected between the right-hand valve cover and the intake manifold and the left-hand valve cover and the air cleaner outlet pipe. .The PCV system recycles crankcase gases back through the engine where they mix with incoming air/fuel charge.The positive crankcase ventilation system helps to reduce hydrocarbon emissions from the engine.

Rick, guess I won't worry with the PCV if the hoses look good, vacuum lines seem sound, unless they are deterioated down near the manifold. Everything I can see/reach with covers still on looks good!

Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Fantastic!!!!! Then its like the '05s.