S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

independent or related problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009 | 08:38 PM
|
Default independent or related problems?

friends,

I have a 2005 S-Type 4.2 that has been acting up:
1) intermittent/auto wipers and quick swipe not working correctly
2) no horn
3) DSC NOT AVAILABLE message with yellow caution light

Horn first, checked the fuse (F16, I beileve in the engine compartment) and this is intact. Now what?

The wipers do work on low and high, washer does come out when requested. The issue is when pulsed or asked to work intermittently, either via auto or on stalk, the wipers stop at places other than home position. A few posts have suggested this is a relay. Well there's 2 types: R2-6, R20 are 'large' and R7,8,11,12,16 are small. There are also a few in the trunk, but I've not heard here that it's one of those relays.

DSC is new today - just came on at HY speed, did not clear on couple restarts. Luckily no snow.

Are these all related or can they be resolved individually?

Thanks, -Mark

Old 04-04-2009 | 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Mark, Lets start with a the wipers. First, since you say the fuse is good based on the fact that the wipers do function in slow/fast speeds, that only leaves a few things. First, swap relays R15 and R16 or R16 and R18. Do the wipers now go to the Home position every time. If so, relay R16 is bad. IF this doesn't fix things, then with the wipers in the mid position on the windshield, remove relay R16 and find pin #4 for relay R16. Using a multimeter, do you have 12 VDC or 0 VDC there? If you have 12 VDC, then you have an intermittent problem with relay R16 and it not making good contact with terminal #4. If you get 0 VDC, then you have either a bad motor (ie, the electrical contacts built into the motor are bad) or a wiring issue between the wiper motor and the relay (R16).

As for the stability control, you will need to take it in to a shop to have them read the chassis codes. That will tell you a specific fault in the DSC system. It doesn't not appear to be related to your wiper or horn issue. You can try looking at each of your wheel speed sensors and see if you have a problem there, but it would be simply checking out the system.

As for the horn, remove relay R12. With the ignition in the RUN position (motor can be running or not, doesn't matter), verify that you have power to terminals #3 and #1 (ie, more than 11.0 VDC. If you don't on either one, then you have a fuse problem (F16) or a bad wire between the fuse and the relay. Next, using a small piece of wire, short terminals #3 and #5 together. Did the horn sound? If no, then you have a bad set of horns and they need to be replace. Could possibly be a bad wire between the relay and horns, but this can be proven good by verifying 12 VDC at the horns when attempting to sound them. Next, when attempting to sound the horn, is terminal #2 at 0 VDC? If no, then you have a bad GEM module or a bad switch in the steering column. If yes, then you most likely have a bad relay. Replace the relay.

Hope this gets most of your problems fixed.

Old 04-04-2009 | 01:24 PM
|

Thermo,

Thanks for the guidance and suggestions.

R15 and R18 are blank for me- the pin 4 appears to be the one to be tested by swapping out the relays and is only present in R16 so I used 2 others . I do get 12v on pin 4 for R16 in the mid position, but not all the time for the intermittent. It ranged from 4.2-12v; when working at 4.2v, the wipers did stop randomly. However, the last few tests were at 12v in both the mid and intermittent position, and now the relay seems to be controlling fine, stopping in the home position each swipe. I had some dielectric grease, so I coated the pins to see if that will facilitate contacts. We'll see how long it will work. What would cause this voltage drop?

Horn - with R12 removed, I'm getting 12v on pin 3 and 1, and F16 is ok. Jumping 5 and 3 does produce a horn sound. Pin 2 is 0v, and does not change when the horn is pressed. Swapping the relay did not fix it. Does this point to the GEM module or steering colum?

Seems like the DSC will require shop service to pull a code(s).

-Mark

Old 04-06-2009 | 10:32 PM
|

update:

DSC NOT AVAILABLE warning message has cleared itself - for 2 days now, this message has gone away.

horn - sometimes works, sometimes not.

wipers - mostly not working on intermittent, but do work correctly from time to time as well.

-/Mark

Old 06-09-2009 | 07:28 PM
|

Well, it turns out that Jaguar Service looked at the problems. According to them, after $500 worth of diagnostics, it's the left front wire harness behind the front bumper. The wires are corroded and the harness needs replacing. The part (XR8 53225) is $1600 and another $1000 in P&L + taxes. Holy SH#T!!! Are others having this problem, and why did does this have to cost that much? I find it very difficult to comprehend that a wire harness could cost so much.

Kinda makes passing on that extended warranty seem short-sighted.

Any comments or alternative sources for this part?