Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infinity Basslink II

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infinity Basslink II

Hi All,

I am thinking about adding the Infinity Basslink II to my stock system. Has anyone else tried this? I would like to leave things as stock as possible. Would it be possible to connect the wiring that the stock unit uses to contol the "sub level" so that I could adjust the sub power from the headunit?

It is my understanding that there is already an unused power lead in the trunk, would this be sufficient to use, where exactly is it located?

I have a 2005 STR w/NAV and Alpine stereo.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I've had a basslink installed in a previous vehicle, loved it.

On any subwoofer amp install such as this, I recommend running a dedicated power and ground to it. Also, you can't run the sub gain control from the unit to your deck. What I did was run that control knob up the center of the car and had it mounted right next to the seat adhered to the center console. It's discreet and easily accessed.

Look at the bazooka amplified tubes as well. They don't take up as much space.

If you get really creative, want more stock of a look, and dont mind a higher price tag, you can have a custom sub box fabricated, then carpeted, and it will blend into your trunk corner seamlessly.

good luck to you.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:11 PM

Thanks for the advice!

If I use the wiring for the rear deck subs as the input to the Basslink would I be able to use the sub gain control? How did you get the wire under the carpet? I assume I can just tap the battery in the trunk for power, correct?

Old 10-13-2009, 02:14 PM

While I think of it, is there a better audio connection in the trunk that I could use for the Basslink/Bazooka sub line in without having to splice anything?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Veteran member

Any full range (not crossed over) speaker level input will go into it, I'm pretty sure. Signal from the subs would not be recommended, they're crossed over already and you'll never know what you like if the car already predetermined your frequencies. Tap the rear speakers for input, they're close.

And yes, if you tapped into the subs (again, don't recommend) you'd be able to control the sub volume thru the deck. But, I don't recommend it. See a pattern?

To get under the carpet, you'll most likely have to pull some side trim panels, door sill plates, and probably the center console and front seat. Let an audio shop do the install work, you buy the parts. Best of both worlds.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:39 PM

I too am considering putting in a basslink in my STR. If anyone has done this it would be great to hear how it turned out.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 PM

I finally was able to spare a moment today and order the Basslink II and Phoenix Gold Amp Install Kit. I should have them in about a weeks time.

On a side note I did receive the updated ACM yesterday, I hope to be able to install both the ACM and Basslink sometime next weekend.

H2O, you are probably right that I should just take it to a shop and believe me I would especially since it wouldn't cost more than $120, but I am incredibly OCD when it comes to my car. In fact I hate even having the dealers work on the car more than absolutely necessary. So while I am no where near as qualified as a decent audio installer or a tech, I do everything super slow and carefully.

I am in search of a 2005 S-Type w/Premium Audio wiring schematic, would anyone that has access to one be able to send me one? I really would appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:19 AM

i had the infinity basslink installed for about a year or more now and it picks up the bass perfect. there is big difference without it because the factory speakers and factory sub cannot hit the low notes without distorting the music. i couldn't see having anything larger than a 10'' sub and this works perfectly. i'll take some pic of how the guys at circuit city, haha bankrupt - glad i shorted the stock, installed it.

Last edited by jaguar14; 10-16-2009 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:45 AM

Jaguar14, I am glad to hear that it works well, I was worried it wouldn't make that much difference.. I look forward to your pictures when you get a free moment to post them.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

factory subs are crossed just shy of 90hz, you would be fine tapping them in as the slope looks to be about 12 db per octave. if the basslink has a crossover on it, put it above 90 hz and you wont run into many shelving issues that occur when crossovers are combined.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:01 AM

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the information. The Basslink II does contain a crossover that allows adjustments between 50-120Hz, thus setting to 90Hz shouldn't be a problem. I have to admit that "slope" and "shelving" are way above my expertise, however it appears they won't be an issue for this installation. I hope to have this sub installed in the next few days, however it is still in transit from CA.

Thanks again! BTW, I came across a 2002.5+ S-Type Audio Electrical Schematic if anyone would like the PDF please let me know. I believe this applies to all Alpine premium systems.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran member

Just so you are completely informed... I think 90hz may be a little low to compliment the remainder of the speakers in your car. You may like it, but if you aren't feeling drumbeats the way you expected, look at rewiring another audio signal and set you're crossover point at 110-120hz instead on the basslilnk. That is where I have my crossover set on my 10" sub. Audio preferences are always end-user specific though.

Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

Old 10-23-2009, 10:35 AM

I received the Basslink last night so hopefully I will be able to install it this weekend!

Old 10-29-2009, 02:11 PM

almost forgot about this post, i took some quick photos with my iphone that might help you with the install.

Attached Thumbnails Infinity Basslink II-1.jpg   Infinity Basslink II-2.jpg   Infinity Basslink II-3.jpg   Infinity Basslink II-4.jpg   Infinity Basslink II-5.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm interested in that schematic. I (Like yourself), have a 2005 STR with premium sound. The Sub woofers in the back shelf absolutley suck because they cannot hand any low frequencies. I'm looking at getting a bazooka tube. The 10" 250watt version that is powered. Shortly (after I wash it and everything), I'll likely put some pics of my car up here and when I get around to the Sub, I'll post those too. I am intersted in seeing if somehow (be it with an additional aftermarket amp) have it controlled directly by the Audio console in the car. I plan on disconnecting the existing subs and using only the Bazooka tube. Does anyone have any additional suggestions on how this can be achieved? Bazooka also has a remote which I can purchase, but then I'd be getting like my home stereo as I already have one for the integrated satellite radio etc....

Old 04-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Here's the diagram for the STR's stereo. Actually for the whole car. There is no difference stereo wise between 2004 and 2005.

AS far as the sub. IF the bazooka tube can accept speaker level inputs, just wire the wires from the stock subs into the inputs.

Otherwise you need a line level input converter from the stock subs to the RCA inputs of the bass tube.

If the headunit will let you control the stock sub's level then this will retain that control.

Take care,

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
S-Type 2004 Elec Guide.pdf (4.47 MB, 224 views)
Old 04-25-2011, 05:07 AM
Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Androulakis. The bazooka tube does seem to have what is referred to as a "High Level Input" which seems to be where you'd patch in the output from an amplifier. The Low level input comes from elsewhere i.e. a non-variable powersource like a phonograph (imagining that in a LOL) or more likely a CD player. The bazooka does have a remote control (optional if you purchase) which would then enable you to adjust the volume of the sub via another control (which I'm really not looking forward to at this time). I have a sirius radio remote already, just imagine now getting an additional remote which would make the inside of my care start to resemble my living room or bedroom with remotes.....

I am planning on take a few pictures of my beauty after she's returned to me from service a day during this week to share with all here.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 507 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Docuzzie
Thanks Androulakis. The bazooka tube does seem to have what is referred to as a "High Level Input" which seems to be where you'd patch in the output from an amplifier. The Low level input comes from elsewhere i.e. a non-variable powersource like a phonograph (imagining that in a LOL) or more likely a CD player. The bazooka does have a remote control (optional if you purchase) which would then enable you to adjust the volume of the sub via another control (which I'm really not looking forward to at this time). I have a sirius radio remote already, just imagine now getting an additional remote which would make the inside of my care start to resemble my living room or bedroom with remotes.....

I am planning on take a few pictures of my beauty after she's returned to me from service a day during this week to share with all here.
All you need is a line output converter, to convert the factory sub wires to RCA level. That's easy. And the level can be variable it's not fixed level.

The Bazooka, "remote" is actually a knob that allows you to control the level of gain on the amplifier. Don't think of it like a remote control. And my car sadly rivals my living room in terms of remotes. I have two for the DVD headunit, (Slim and regular) and one for the rear entertainment system.

Take care,

George