Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner tie rod replacement W/Pics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Amadauss;
Your experience matches mine exactly and that's why I posted the picture of the inner tie rod tool. I still don't don't see how people change it without using it??

I have changed them on a number of cars and always needed the special tool so I finally purchased one. Yes make sure you get a range of sizes. Most tools come with at least 3 different crows-foot wrenches.

Was the new inner tie rod self supporting or does it flop down when you let go of it?

Thanks for reporting back!
I can change them without the tool if the vehicle is on a lift . Then there is plenty of room to get a pipe wrench and extension on it if necessary. My inner tie rod end tool has 5 different sizes. I believe Snap-On has a new, universal one that is supposed to clamp down on the housing and doesn't need adapters.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Amadauss;
Your experience matches mine exactly and that's why I posted the picture of the inner tie rod tool. I still don't don't see how people change it without using it??

I have changed them on a number of cars and always needed the special tool so I finally purchased one. Yes make sure you get a range of sizes. Most tools come with at least 3 different crows-foot wrenches.

Was the new inner tie rod self supporting or does it flop down when you let go of it?

Thanks for reporting back!
It was fairly rigid but was able to move it after installed. Need to do so as I am sure you are aware to get the outer on to the wheel hub after attached to inner.

Plums, I edited my last response in that without a lift, and using that tool, it has to go straight in so the tire is in the way with it. Under the car with a lift, the tool would probably not be needed.

Thanks again to all for the help and support. Car rides great after having the alignment done yesterday.

The following users liked this post:
Gus (02-27-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 1,423 Likes on 1,066 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
Usually the outer tie rods only go bad. Its a easy check. You put your hand on the joint and move the tire back and forth feeling for play. They pay .6 each side and .6 for both(thats nice isnt it) plus alignment
remanned racks for jag are $300 w/core, $200 for lincoln ls w/core ( youll have electronic variable force rack, dont get one without)
if the outer joint is tight and theres movement then the inners are bad. If the inners are bad and the outers are good. I would still replace them because of mileage and its only part cost no added labor. Yes mtorcars has the inners for $65. Plus boots
Brutal, Would normal driving cause an outer tie rod to go bad? I took my Jag in for an allignment today due to replacing both upper control arms and I was told the outer tie rod (driver's side) is bent. (What would cause an outer tie rod to "bend"

Now, I saw the replacement part - would they fail where they connect at the wheel hub assembly? Just curious as I was not expecting to hear the bad news today from my indy.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:36 AM

Let me update - that's what I get for trying to get my car properly alligned at Firestone - so I get the call this morning: "Sorry for having your car for 2 days but my mechanic made a mistake. You need the inner tie rod and you need the entire steering rack". My response: "Hands off my car, I'm getting it now and will bring it to a knowledgable mechanic, who will replace the inner tie rod with ease, thank you!".

I'm done w/ Firestone! They suck!

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

With the miles on your car I would bit the bullet and replace the rack. It comes with the inner tie rods anyway and the price is reasonable. Follow Brutal's suggestion and use the Lincoln LS rack. You might be surprised in how it drives after replacement.

Maybe purchase the rack and get someone to put it in?

Old 07-28-2012, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by gabrielduenas
I hope other members can give their opinion. But here goes my 2 cents:

I believe the inner tie rods can be interchanged from a Lincoln LS. Theres not too many places that sell S type inner tie rods, that is, the complete rack had to be purchased.

I found these on motorcars ltd:

Tie Rod End - TIEROD.STYPE.L
I checked www.rockauto.com and the LS Inner Tie Rods and Tie Rod Ends do not show cross references to Jaguar S Type (huge bummer!) - I didn't want to take a chance so I ordered Moog Inner/Outer Tie Rods that were listed under Jaguar S Type - shipping from UK (bit pricey) - total with forum discount $82.00 vs. $128 for same parts from MotorCars LTD and based on BobCo51's feedback on them I wanted to try something else...

I ordered the boot cover from MotorCars LTD as well.

I will report back once the parts are installed. I have used Moog parts in the past and have had good results with them.

Old 07-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,342 Likes on 1,843 Posts

You won't see any cross reference between the S Type and the LS unless it's in the aftermarket. Ford tried real hard to keep everything separate. Just look at all the trouble they went to just to have separate Jaguar and Ford part numbers for the identical same part!

That is usually a big no-no in any manufacturing company.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:18 PM

With the miles on your car I would bit the bullet and replace the rack. It comes with the inner tie rods anyway and the price is reasonable. Follow Brutal's suggestion and use the Lincoln LS rack. You might be surprised in how it drives after replacement.

Maybe purchase the rack and get someone to put it in?
clubairth1 - thanks for the feedback. I had the entire rack replaced about 3 years ago as it seen better days. After having the rack replaced - what a difference! She still drives and steers very tight.

That's why I was surprised with the inner tie rod diagnosis. I peeked under the car today and clearly the inner tie rod is toast. The other side has no issues whatsoever.

The road conditions in NJ/NYC are relentless.... riddled with potholes, etc..

I have the parts on order and will have them installed by my indy.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Received 198 Likes on 166 Posts

The outer tie rod end isn't going to bend. The inner one can bend, but both can develop play in them under normal driving circumstances.