S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing the Bosch 0 392 022 010 Intercooler Pump Soon - Any Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 09:46 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Installing the Bosch 0 392 022 010 Intercooler Pump Soon - Any Advice

Just found a good deal on the Bosch 0 392 022 010 Intercooler Pump and figured it would make sense to install it being that I live in Phoenix and I will take any cooling I can get once the 115* temps hit this summer. I will try and log some IAT data with my new ELM as well.

I researched two threads out of about 10 that I thought were helpful:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...mp-work-91611/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...wanted-104039/

I think I understand how to install the pig tail, but I guess my only two questions are:

1) Do I have to remove the front bumper (XJR guys say yes)? Its on the lower passenger side?

2) Approximately how much coolant will be lost during the install?

If there are any other pieces of advice, I would appreciate it and I am looking forward to the results, especially for only $90

Old 02-12-2014, 10:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Yes you will have to remove the front bumper. I have not replaced it, but Ive seen the location when I had my bumper off. as for fluid loss, not sure. If you are easy, you can use a set of vice grips to clamp down on the hoses to minimize coolant loss. Or just be really, really fast.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Take off the under body cover that bolts to the front bumper. It's not real easy and you will need to pry back the bumper cover a bit to get it in and out. Do it on a warm day as that will help prevent breaking the plastic even though it is pretty stout. I found this out when I hit a piece of tire and broke the plastic grill over the oil cooler on my 2005 STR. MUCH simpler!

Then both the AUX pump and the SC intercooler pump are visible and on the passenger side down low. If you don't remove this panel then most likely you need to remove the entire bumper cover.

Then there is another small plastic cover with foam seals on the bottom of the radiator. This is built like a tray to help funnel the air into the radiators and prevent airflow escaping around the outside of the radiators. Remove this. The metal clips holding it to the radiator are a bit tricky but just look at them a bit before you start prying.

I have had the AUX pump in and out but not the SC pump. It looks like it would come out from the bottom?

I would try that first and then fall back to the bumper cover removal if you can't get it out. Access is tight!

Please do some kind of before and after testing as we have no data that says a better pump will increase power.

Old 02-12-2014, 03:58 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

It likely doesn't increase power per se, but it merely helps with heatsoak of the cooling circuit. I guess this translates to more consistent power... Although it doesn't increase capacity obviously, only flow, so how much of a gain is debatable.

It's been real popular in the e55 crowd, and proven itself there, for for whats a relatively cheap mod... why not?

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Star
Yes you will have to remove the front bumper. I have not replaced it, but Ive seen the location when I had my bumper off. as for fluid loss, not sure. If you are easy, you can use a set of vice grips to clamp down on the hoses to minimize coolant loss. Or just be really, really fast.
Vice grips! Good call, thanks for confirming the bumper.

Originally Posted by tbird6
Take off the under body cover that bolts to the front bumper. It's not real easy and you will need to pry back the bumper cover a bit to get it in and out. Do it on a warm day as that will help prevent breaking the plastic even though it is pretty stout. I found this out when I hit a piece of tire and broke the plastic grill over the oil cooler on my 2005 STR. MUCH simpler!

Then both the AUX pump and the SC intercooler pump are visible and on the passenger side down low. If you don't remove this panel then most likely you need to remove the entire bumper cover.

Then there is another small plastic cover with foam seals on the bottom of the radiator. This is built like a tray to help funnel the air into the radiators and prevent airflow escaping around the outside of the radiators. Remove this. The metal clips holding it to the radiator are a bit tricky but just look at them a bit before you start prying.

I have had the AUX pump in and out but not the SC pump. It looks like it would come out from the bottom?

I would try that first and then fall back to the bumper cover removal if you can't get it out. Access is tight!

Please do some kind of before and after testing as we have no data that says a better pump will increase power.
Thanks for the detailed advice. I have had the bumper off a few times to do my headlights, and unfortunately got really good at it. Hopefully removing the actually pump itself will not be too much of a PITA.

Agreed on the testing, I need to use my ELM 327 versus the butt dyno. The weather is getting into the 70*'s here so it should be a good time to test it.

Originally Posted by GT42R
It likely doesn't increase power per se, but it merely helps with heatsoak of the cooling circuit. I guess this translates to more consistent power... Although it doesn't increase capacity obviously, only flow, so how much of a gain is debatable.

It's been real popular in the e55 crowd, and proven itself there, for for whats a relatively cheap mod... why not?

I agree, for $90, why not try it? And a good excuse to spend a few hours in the garage while the weather is awesome. If anything, like you said, its not a gain in horsepower, but really preventing loss of HP, which in my book is just as good

Old 02-13-2014, 10:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Plus who knows the life of these pumps. I will have to add this to my upgrade list as well