Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

intake decarbon and prevention

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts
Default intake decarbon and prevention

i spent my 3 day queens birthday weekend fiddling with the STR .
i removed the supercharger intake neak from the rear of the S/C to replace the brass brake booster VAC fitting. when the T/B came off it was apparent that inside my intake was horribly filthy ! i decided that pushing 165000km it was time to lift the S/C and check the under S/C coolant hose . pleased i did it had a big blister about to pop.

so after i scrubbed out the T/B ,the intake neak and soaked the charge coolers with petrol then degreaser then alkaline then mag wheel acid they were spotless inside , and washed the S/c out with carby cleaner i could not believe the gunk that came out of them .

my decision was to clean every thing up and bypass the EGR exhaust pipe to the intake elbow as pointed out by avos in another thread. blank the stupid coolant pipe that heats the T/B & cools the EGR valve .
now the EGR only has cold filtered fresh air going through it it doesn't need cooling. and it doesn't get cold enuff here to bother with heating the T/B.
so the coolant pipe is now blanked off.

unfortunately when removing the S/C one of the front bolts was stuck solid and broke off . some one may have been there before me and spilt coolant down the hole and refitted the bolt . so be sure to blow out the threads before refitting bolts ,as this was a stressful moment !!

i had to buy near $100 worth of 200mm long drill bits to reach the bolt and spent 6 hours drilling down the center of it . and sizing up until i got to the alloy thread in the block and picked the rest of the bolts thread out with a further 4 hours with a tap and dentist pick and eventually got the thread out , and the original thread in the block was reusable (luckily ). i tried easy outs at every size interval with no avail this thread was propely stuck.

once i got it all back together i added a pcv catch can to keep it all clean in there,

i positioned it high so it would be easy to service it , infact so easy you hardly have to bend over to unscrew the sump off it
this is a 500ml mishimoto 2 port catch can from ebay . it has a baffle plate and a 50 micron filter on the return . I'm quite blown away that it is catching about 10mls per 100km and nothing bad is going through to the engine now as the return VAC pipe is now dry inside and the car no longer puffs any blue smoke on start up , also seems to have a bit of restored power, but thats not helping any with fuel consumption .

any way job done all is working fine, the jag seems happier with its lungs cleared out and I'm left with a little pice of mind .

The following users liked this post:
Robinb (06-19-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

i also have the cleanest valley around win win. and detailed the charge coolers with red lettering .

Old 06-18-2016, 07:37 PM
Received 8,075 Likes on 4,870 Posts

I always reassemble with anti-seize compound if the fastener is going to be OUTSIDE of the engine.

That looks like one happy engine.

bob

Datsports (06-18-2016)
Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 PM
Received 10,469 Likes on 6,914 Posts

Well done.

That blister was certainly going to ruin your day, and engine, very soon.

DeSmog, LUV it.

Datsports (06-18-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Don't worry I anti-seized every bolt that went back in !
I don't need that happening again ,
Still I'm pretty sure I found the only rusty bolt in the whole car,
As every other bolt I've had out has been pristine , and I've had lots of bolts out !
Just a shame it was so damn difficult , but could have been worse for sure .
It was super lucky that pipe heald together untill I made my way in there .
Was only a month ago I drove it 400km south and back ! I think I used my luck up compleatly with that gamble . I'm sure the STR will be trouble free now for quite some time . Touch wax eyed maple dash ! ��

Old 06-19-2016, 03:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Do you have a link to the egr blanking thread by Avos?

Did you also reroute the heater hose or does the S-Type
run the heater hose some other route? I seem to recall
the latter.

Old 06-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
Do you have a link to the egr blanking thread by Avos?

Did you also reroute the heater hose or does the S-Type
run the heater hose some other route? I seem to recall
the latter.
Here is the link

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...r-valve-34453/

The STR heater hose goes from the front of the engine strait to the dccv valve on the back of the radiator then runs as two around the eng bay to the matrix , and then returns as one pipe on the same route .
So there is a differance to yours indeed!

plums (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Ah yes, the DCCV. Now I remember from the last
time I looked at the routing to try to eliminate the
hoses under the SC.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 PM
Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Datsports, your brief but clear descriptions of that SC job, together with those great photos, was just top-class.

If you don't already work for Jaguar, you should. And does the Queen know what you got done on her birthday?

Datsports (06-19-2016)
Old 06-19-2016, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robinb
Datsports, your brief but clear descriptions of that SC job, together with those great photos, was just top-class.

If you don't already work for Jaguar, you should. And does the Queen know what you got done on her birthday?

thanks for the complement Robinb , i tried to keep it simple and strait forward .
to not scare anyone or put some one off from tackling such an important job themselves . and more to show the simplicity of the job , even when hurdles are thrown in front of you , don't rush just take your time and one step at a time . its all just lego with rubber pipes attached . although i don't recall ever needing such a vast selection of tools when i was young playing with lego
no i don't work for jaguar , as i would have to move 450km down the country to the nearest dealer . or 850km up the country to the north island to the only other one in the country. hence my continuos participation in this forum seeking knowledge ! and am very grateful for those who share it with me .
and will give back when i can . i have worked on many jags over the time. i have worked in automotive for over 25 years, and now have my own workshop/cave that keeps me occupied when not driving my truck .
i may yet look to expand and try for a jaguar or euro service devision for our neck of the wood one day . but truthfully i think because of the lack of dealer representation in nelson there are very few jags around here .
i do work on four other post 2002 jags for customers who all say that feel safe leaving them with me for work to be carried out , so thats a start,
cheers

Old 06-19-2016, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member

p.s i will forward a link to the queen , so she is aware of my participation in her celebrations.