S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interface from CHT Sensor to Temperature Gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,059 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Default Interface from CHT Sensor to Temperature Gauge?

Cordial Greetings,

On my '02 V6, my radiator cooling fan does not seem to be running when it should. I've only had time to run some very preliminary troubleshooting and plan to tackle it in-depth tomorrow. So far all I've done is check the two fuses (#5 and #25) for available power and continuity. There's just too much rain today to get any more involved. Springtime is when even Oregonians say, "You know, I'm getting kinda tired of this rain..."

I've been reading up on the V6 Cylinder Head Temperature (CHT) sensor. Per my Jaguar training manual, the CHT directly measures the metal temperature, not the coolant, to allow operation of the failsafe cooling strategy even if coolant has been lost. My car a big coolant loss last week (upper radiator hose fitting failed), since repaired. But the way I'm reading this, even if I didn't bleed the system correctly and there's a big air pocket, the CHT doesn't care and only reports the actual temperature of the metal.

Driving home today, I got stuck in slow traffic and the temp gauge started climbing. I rolled down the window and never heard the fan kick on. I even pulled over to be sure and opened the hood, and with the temp gauge indicating about 3/4 of the way up, the fan was definitely not running. My scanner agreed with the temp gauge, too. As soon as I could get some forward motion and airflow through the radiator, the temperature cooled right back to where it should be. Slow down, it climbs. Of course, I can't duplicate the climbing temperature in my driveway.

Three paragraphs later, my big question: Is the CHT the only sensor feeding temperature information to the PCM and/or the dash gauge? As near as I can figure, that is how it works, but I'm not positive. This is probably one of those things so basic, it wasn't really covered in the manual. As a former tech writer, I want to slap this author around but that's beside the point right now.

On other vehicles I've owned, the dash gauge was controlled by one sensor and another sensor fed the PCM, making two independent circuits. Confirming this detail is very important for my troubleshooting plan tomorrow. Surprisingly, my manuals only have the vaguest details for troubleshooting a fan that doesn't run. After more basic checks, one thing I'd like to try is using some resistors to trick the CHT circuit to indicate a higher than normal temperature so the fan should kick on. (I have a table with the sensor's temperature-to-resistance values)

Thanks for any input anybody can offer.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

There will be a coolant temperature sensor involved.

Best source of information would be the electrical diagrams.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
There will be a coolant temperature sensor involved.

Best source of information would be the electrical diagrams.

Thanks. Can you please direct me to the coolant temp sensor? Here are the wiring diagrams I've been using:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...x2032002en.pdf

Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,184 Likes on 1,624 Posts

ECT SENSOR: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR PI39

section 3.1

Old 03-16-2016, 12:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 595 Likes on 472 Posts

i have seen cooling fan modules for the v6 for sale on ebay , might also be worth a look!

Old 03-16-2016, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Fan should have been running so check its fuses, relay(s) if any, wiring and failing that the module may be dead.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by plums
ECT SENSOR: ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR PI39

section 3.1
Thanks, but it's a V6. (see original post) I'm looking at CHT sensor PI13, section 3.3.

I was reading more about the CHT and the overheat protection logic. Interesting stuff.

Doing some armchair troubleshooting, I'm pretty sure I'll be looking at a fan motor or controller. It's a bit annoying that the motor is not available separately. Welcome to the joy of European car ownership. (I went through the same thing with an Audi.) You have to buy the entire motor/blade/shroud assembly for around $700. The control module new is over $300. To minimize downtime, I pulled out the parts shotgun, fired from the hip, and ordered a guaranteed used fan assembly on eBay for $135 (this also includes the control module) and it will hopefully be here before the weekend.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

Get a used one.

Old 03-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Get a used one.
One step ahead of you, already on its way.

I did some more armchair troubleshooting. Two signals control the fan, via pulse-width modulated grounds. One is from the PCM. The other comes from the air conditioning module. I don't know all the specifics, but it would appear either command will turn on the fan and control the speed. Just guessing, but the higher speed command probably takes precedent.

Since the AC was on (should have commanded the fan to run regardless of coolant temp) and the car was also running hot (also should have commanded the fan to run), it's highly unlikely both signals were bad. That would point to either the cooling fan module or the fan itself. I hope to know more this afternoon when I finally have some non-monsoon time under the hood.

That's my TheoryDuJour(tm) and I'm sticking with it, at least until the wind changes direction.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

hmm.... delete

(2003+ cars are simpler in that respect - all looks to be done by PCM)

Last edited by JagV8; 03-16-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I don't know if this is of any help but had a problem with loss of coolant on my V8 blew the header tank overflow hose joint and water pump housing was at fault so got that all good again but it never gave me issues with the heating gauge moving up actually its never moved above half way ever since I've had it. But here's the thing I have untold issues with the wiring. You'll see a post of mine on that subject if you delve and some pics which are very colourful.
The wiring is shocking and on many occasions I've had the whole wiring out of the fuse box only to find that underneath is all corroded from the heat exchange and damp condensation from engine bay. If not checked already I'd meter the wiring back form fans to fuse box and to sensor and ensure all is good as its sometimes something as simple like that......that's hoping!!!!

Old 03-16-2016, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Default I Think I Found the Problem...

As best I can determine, a mechanic once ran off with a Jaguar engineer's wife. The forlorn engineer plotted his revenge against mechanics everywhere and succeeded beyond his wildest dreams. He was in charge of designing the S-Type radiator fan shroud.

The shroud was a booger to remove. I followed every step in the manual, and even then it only cleared by a fraction of an inch. The worst part is the bottom wraps forward about an inch under the radiator, with two U-shaped clips to secure it. If it weren't for this lip and two miserable clips, it probably would have been a twenty minute job to pull the shroud.

Anyways, I think I found the problem with the fan motor... The first thing I did was check continuity through it and got nothing. I tried spinning the blades, wondering if I had a dead spot, but then the fan physically bound up.

The first picture shows what I found. Of the four brushes, two were completely gone. The spring for one brush had got wrapped around the commutator and wore all the way down through the individual segments into the core. The binding I felt was the spring grabbing the commutator.

This poor motor is beyond repair. Glad I have a spare on the way. The next picture shows the data plate, Jaguar part # 9010695. I tried searching for that but only got some hits on eBay Germany.

For anybody else looking at a dead motor, if it wasn't damaged like this, you could dress the commutator on a lathe and replace the brushes. I've been able to bring other similar motors back to life, but not this one. No idea exactly where to get the brushes, but they are likely a fairly standard size. One word of caution: When removing the fan disc, the threads on the nut are left-handed.

Last edited by kr98664; 03-16-2016 at 08:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Datsports (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 02:34 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch! No wonder your car has had a cooling problem!!

Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nasty old state, good you got to it after testing it out, these issues are frustrating which I've learnt to take the easy route first, metering everything out as a by law...well done!

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by kr98664
Of the four brushes, two were completely gone.
I looked a little closer at the brushes, or where they should have been... What I thought were the two remaining brushes was actually graphite dust built up like a plug around the end of the spring. Those springs (plus one more that was bare) were riding directly on the commutator. The fourth spring was wrapped around the commutator. It is amazing to think this motor could continue running in that condition to create the damage that it had.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Bump to an old thread. If you find yourself here due to a problem with the cooling fan on an early model, please see this thread for a how-to on access and repair:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...repair-248595/