S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That ipod in s type thread again

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014 | 11:10 AM
|
Default Ipod connectivity

The only thing that's annoyed me so far is how difficult or expensive it's going to be to play my ipod in my 2005 s type ,took me half an hour to hook one up to my last car ,just soldered 3 wires to the cd output on the cd deck ,play silent cd it's done .

Old 01-20-2014 | 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lawler999
The only thing that's annoyed me so far is how difficult or expensive it's going to be to play my ipod in my 2005 s type ,took me half an hour to hook one up to my last car ,just soldered 3 wires to the cd output on the cd deck ,play silent cd it's done .
On an non alpine stereo car - which uses analog, not digital audio output, It's probably that easy as well. No one has ever really take one of these radios apart to figure it out like the GM / Ford guys have.

I have the stock radio from my car, but I went aftermarket a long time ago, and don't have the proper wiring harness to connect to it (I'd need a pigtail from a wrecked car or something) in order to figure it out.

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2014 | 12:45 PM
|

Even if it is digital could i still solder directly to the board in the cd unit and play silent cd for aux out ,I have done it like this on several stereos but would not want to risk damaging the unit.i have sat nav ,and multi cd changer in boot ,not sure if its digital or not is there an easy way to find out ?

Old 01-20-2014 | 12:54 PM
Veteran Member

Even if it is digital could i still solder directly to the board in the cd unit and play silent cd for aux out ,I have done it like this on several stereos but would not want to risk damaging the unit.i have sat nav ,and multi cd changer in boot ,not sure if its digital or not is there an easy way to find out ?
Yes. Look at your door speaker cover. Does it say Alpine?

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2014 | 01:11 PM
|

Originally Posted by androulakis
On an non alpine stereo car - which uses analog, not digital audio output, It's probably that easy as well. No one has ever really take one of these radios apart to figure it out like the GM / Ford guys have.

I have the stock radio from my car, but I went aftermarket a long time ago, and don't have the proper wiring harness to connect to it (I'd need a pigtail from a wrecked car or something) in order to figure it out.

Take care,

George
Originally Posted by androulakis
Yes. Look at your door speaker cover. Does it say Alpine?

Take care,

George
Nothing on speaker grill,cd changer has jaguar on it and nothing else ,so I am not digital ,does that mean I could do the butcher the cd changer hack that is talked about on this site ...fingers crossed

Old 01-20-2014 | 01:17 PM
Veteran Member

Nothing on speaker grill,cd changer has jaguar on it and nothing else ,so I am not digital ,does that mean I could do the butcher the cd changer hack that is talked about on this site ...fingers crossed
No sir. It only means that there is no amplifier in the trunk and that the radio powers the 4 5x7 speakers directly. You would still have to open the radio and find a point between the CD transport and the preamp to tap into. In an alpine car, the amplifier and radio are connected via a fiber optic link. So that makes things even more difficult.

The butcher the changer hack is for the older generation alpine setup which used an analog audio connection for the cd changer (these cars all had a cassette deck in them).

The Modern CD changer is still fiber optic. As is the connection to the nav screen and nav dvd drive. There is no connection to butcher. Btw you dont have to cut into the cd changer to do this on the older cars. All you need is a male - female alpine Ai-net cable extension that you can hack into and place it between the CD changer and the radio. That's what I did on my Arden Xk8. Completely reversible.

I always knew these type of systems (nav without alpine option) existed but here in the USA you could not get satnav without the alpine stereo option.

Take care,

George

Old 01-20-2014 | 05:45 PM
|
Default That ipod in s type thread again

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading the forum for nearly 2 weeks now and i am still confused as to the answer to the 640000000 dollar question.
How can i cheaply get ipod to play through s type jaguar head unit.
On several of my previous cars i have just solderd an audio out jack to the amplified cd output on the radios circuit board .Play a silent cd and the ipods music would be played over the cars stereo.
Would this work on my jaguar ,i have the cd player with nav screen with cd changer in the boot ,no amplifier.
I have seen several ways people have got ipods to work but what is available on the s type.

I have looked around the forum for answers honest.

Old 01-20-2014 | 10:00 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer to stay away from docking ports, cables, etc. Bluetooth is my choice.

Old 01-20-2014 | 10:10 PM
|

Originally Posted by Bad Cattitude
I prefer to stay away from docking ports, cables, etc. Bluetooth is my choice.
yeah think i am going to have to use a parrot blue tooth device ,they are a little pricey though.I already have one but is only for the phone and has no way to bluetooth music,what one are you using ?and will it play out of all the speakers .

Old 01-21-2014 | 05:37 AM
Veteran Member

I installed the Tranzit Bluetooth device in my 2003 S-Type -- fairly easy install and pretty good sound, not as good as direct connect, but certainly okay for me!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...e2/#post865710

Old 01-21-2014 | 05:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Everyone,
I have been reading the forum for nearly 2 weeks now and i am still confused as to the answer to the 640000000 dollar question.
How can i cheaply get ipod to play through s type jaguar head unit.
On several of my previous cars i have just solderd an audio out jack to the amplified cd output on the radios circuit board .Play a silent cd and the ipods music would be played over the cars stereo.
Would this work on my jaguar ,i have the cd player with nav screen with cd changer in the boot ,no amplifier.
I have seen several ways people have got ipods to work but what is available on the s type.

I have looked around the forum for answers honest.
Not much mystery left to this one it's been covered in oh so many threads already. I haven't looked if they've made a sticky for this or not.

If you have the NAV screen you have to get the Jag ACM. It has the connector for an Ipod but has other connections as well.

Otherwise you have many more options.

SEARCH it's all there.

Old 01-21-2014 | 07:20 AM
Veteran Member

Or you dive in the NAV / screen / etc electronics but no-one seems yet to have done that.

I'd go for something FM transmitter as it's so easy as well as cheap.

Old 01-21-2014 | 08:11 AM

+1 try one of these it charges or you can use it wire free off the ipod battery for about 4 hours [ i checked that] good reproduction, worth a punt???Wireless FM Radio Transmitter Car Charger Remote For iPhone 3Gs 4 4S iPod Touch | eBay

Old 01-21-2014 | 11:16 AM
|

Thanks for the replies, the acm route is a no go due to cost and the way it displays albums from ipod, I have used fm transmitters before and in my opinion they have been very hissy and not very good at all ,I think I binned mine after a day , might go for a parrot kit but that's going to be close to £200 pounds,

I think what I realy want to know is ,has anybody just soldered an aux out put jack directly to the single CD player in the fascia ,like I said I have done it on numerous cars before but I have always known where to solder from previous people who have done it .

Please note I have searched and searched this topic to death so I understand people saying use the search and find it mentality but believe me I have .

Old 01-21-2014 | 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Parrot MKi-9200 bypasses your head unit but plays out of all speakers.

Old 01-21-2014 | 12:13 PM
|

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Parrot MKi-9200 bypasses your head unit but plays out of all speakers.
Yeah looks a nice bit of kit , I would imagine that with extra harness to buy as well your looking at £200 and then £50 to have it fitted ,

So very tempted

Old 01-21-2014 | 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I think what I realy want to know is ,has anybody just soldered an aux out put jack directly to the single CD player in the fascia ,like I said I have done it on numerous cars before but I have always known where to solder from previous people who have done it .

Please note I have searched and searched this topic to death so I understand people saying use the search and find it mentality but believe me I have .
Post #12.

Old 01-21-2014 | 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the replies, the acm route is a no go due to cost and the way it displays albums from ipod, I have used fm transmitters before and in my opinion they have been very hissy and not very good at all ,I think I binned mine after a day , might go for a parrot kit but that's going to be close to £200 pounds,
+1. A good quality WIRED FM aux. adapter can be indeed very good. It is relatively easy to install and inexpensive. I have been running one for years in this car (with nav.) with great results. It is the WIRELESS ones that are crap.

Be careful with the Parrot kit, you only get good quality if you connect the stereo audio through an aux. input (back to the same issue). The internal power audio amp is not very good quality driving speakers directly.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-21-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-21-2014 | 02:02 PM
|

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
+1. A good quality WIRED FM aux. adapter can be indeed very good. It is relatively easy to install and inexpensive. I have been running one for years in this car (with nav.) with great results. It is the WIRELESS ones that are crap.

Be careful with the Parrot kit, you only get good quality if you connect the stereo audio through an aux. input (back to the same issue). The internal power audio amp is not very good quality driving speakers directly.
So what wired transmitter are you using ?
Not sure what you mean about the internal power amp issue ,my car has not got amp in the boot ,and audio sounds good ,must admit the parrot kit looks good if a little pricey,
Thanks for advice

Old 01-21-2014 | 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

So what wired transmitter are you using ?
Not sure what you mean about the internal power amp issue ,my car has not got amp in the boot ,and audio sounds good ,must admit the parrot kit looks good if a little pricey,
Thanks for advice
Mine is 9 years old and no longer in production. This should work well for you: iSimple Tranzit Pro (IS77PRO).

There are two way to install the Parrot: Either directly driving the speakers or driving the stereo through a line level Aux. input. If you set it up to directly drive the speakers, it completely bypasses the car's audio system and uses it's own (not very good) amplifier. If you install it for a line level aux input, you will get good results but you need, well, an analog aux. input, which puts you back to square one.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-21-2014 at 02:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Lawler999 (01-21-2014)

Quick Reply: That ipod in s type thread again