Sponsored by:

That ipod in s type thread again

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014 | 02:37 PM
The following users liked this post:
Lawler999 (01-21-2014)
Old 01-21-2014 | 05:16 PM
|

I cannot get them from uk ,but i think i have found something very similar .
Thanks.

Old 01-21-2014 | 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Lawler999
I cannot get them from uk ,but i think i have found something very similar .
Thanks.
If you have an Ipod, get the one for Ipod, not Android.

Old 01-21-2014 | 07:28 PM
|

[QUOTE=WhiteXKR;895163]If you have an Ipod, get the one for Ipod, not Android.[/QUOT

just bought one of these ,should do the job.
Veba AVFM-MOD01 Stereo Modulator | Auto Express

Old 01-22-2014 | 04:11 AM

Just a heads up, I've got a Parrot MKi 9200 in my STR. It's got the Nav unit so it all works with that (not got premium sound in mine tho).

The Parrot cost me £100 the SOT lead was about £10 and fitting was £50. Sound quality is good and it has multiple inputs, USB, jack, ipod and SD card.

Old 01-22-2014 | 08:10 AM
|

Originally Posted by Vehlin
Just a heads up, I've got a Parrot MKi 9200 in my STR. It's got the Nav unit so it all works with that (not got premium sound in mine tho).

The Parrot cost me £100 the SOT lead was about £10 and fitting was £50. Sound quality is good and it has multiple inputs, USB, jack, ipod and SD card.
I have ordered a wired fm modulator now I will see how it goes if I'm not happy with it I will have a look at the parrot you are using ,do you get the same quality audio as if you are using the stock audio equipment ? Or is the sound a little compromised .Only someone earlier in the thread said they are not that good ?

Old 01-22-2014 | 08:41 AM
Veteran Member

I have ordered a wired fm modulator now I will see how it goes if I'm not happy with it I will have a look at the parrot you are using ,do you get the same quality audio as if you are using the stock audio equipment ? Or is the sound a little compromised .Only someone earlier in the thread said they are not that good ?
The Parrot MKi 9200 is a great unit if it is installed through an line level audio aux. input...but not so great driving the speakers directly. If you use it with premium audio and drive the speakers directly with the Parrot you will lose the advantage of the premium audio amplifier.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-22-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Lawler999 (01-22-2014)
Old 01-22-2014 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

I tried two of these things. Most of them are very cheaply produced and radio interference will always be an issue. They suck. You might as well just listen to your FM radio it will be higher quality.

The ACM was already in my car so I'm using that with an MP3 player in FLAC format via the AUX-In which the ACM adds to the Jag's audio system. The sound quality is CD instead of MP3. I tried an Ipod as well via it's interface plug but you don't get to control the music/Ipod that way and the Jag system takes over simulating the function of tracks on a CD. I don't know if there's a good workaround for that as I'm not an Ipod user. Using the AUX-IN means the Jag's system just plays dumb So your source can control everything.

This is how having a Parrot system would allow you good quality but AFAIK they never offered a harness that would make it all work WITH the Jag system as far as phone control etc is controlled.

Since you're in the UK and at least one person from there in this thread claims that he has the NAV screen and not the Alpine premium stereo using the fiber optics maybe such a thing does exist. Pull you center console out and have a look at what head unit of your stereo looks like. If it's a wired analog interface you have a ton of options open to you.

The company who makes the ACm also does terrific stuff for Audi & BMW but they dead ended this product long ago.

Old 01-22-2014 | 08:49 AM
|

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
The Parrot MKi 9200 is a great unit if it is installed through an line level audio aux. input...but not so great driving the speakers directly. If you use it with premium audio and drive the speakers directly with the Parrot you will lose the advantage of the premium audio amplifier.
I think I got it now ,I do not have premium audio ,no amp ,but I do have cd changer and nav screen .......I think I will be putting that parrot kit on my birthday wish list ,now can I wait another 3 weeks with out listening to my favourite punk bands while driving ...

Old 01-24-2014 | 10:47 AM
|

Originally Posted by Staatsof
I tried two of these things. Most of them are very cheaply produced and radio interference will always be an issue. They suck. You might as well just listen to your FM radio it will be higher quality.

The ACM was already in my car so I'm using that with an MP3 player in FLAC format via the AUX-In which the ACM adds to the Jag's audio system. The sound quality is CD instead of MP3. I tried an Ipod as well via it's interface plug but you don't get to control the music/Ipod that way and the Jag system takes over simulating the function of tracks on a CD. I don't know if there's a good workaround for that as I'm not an Ipod user. Using the AUX-IN means the Jag's system just plays dumb So your source can control everything.

This is how having a Parrot system would allow you good quality but AFAIK they never offered a harness that would make it all work WITH the Jag system as far as phone control etc is controlled.

Since you're in the UK and at least one person from there in this thread claims that he has the NAV screen and not the Alpine premium stereo using the fiber optics maybe such a thing does exist. Pull you center console out and have a look at what head unit of your stereo looks like. If it's a wired analog interface you have a ton of options open to you.

The company who makes the ACm also does terrific stuff for Audi & BMW but they dead ended this product long ago.
Just fitted the wired fm modulator ,it seems ok to be fair ,I noticed a lot of hiss when I am parked up against the house but out on the road it's not to bad ,
What I did notice is that when I removed the stereo head unit all the wires going to the nav and CD player were just normal cables (no fibre optics ) so I could strip the mod back out and do the butcher the cd changer hack that is on here .
I'm assuming that most peeps on here are from the us and you all got the premium stuff with the optics ,see I have not i got nav screen ,cd changer but no optical cables at the head unit ?

Old 01-24-2014 | 10:51 AM
Veteran Member

Just fitted the wired fm modulator ,it seems ok to be fair ,I noticed a lot of hiss when I am parked up against the house but out on the road it's not to bad ,
What I did notice is that when I removed the stereo head unit all the wires going to the nav and CD player were just normal cables (no fibre optics ) so I could strip the mod back out and do the butcher the cd changer hack that is on here .
I'm assuming that most peeps on here are from the us and you all got the premium stuff with the optics ,see I have not i got nav screen ,cd changer but no optical cables at the head unit ?
Please post a pic of the rear of the head unit if possible. I still think the CDC - head unit link is fiber optic. Or it should be.

take care,

George

Lawler999 (01-24-2014)
Old 01-24-2014 | 11:07 AM
|

Originally Posted by androulakis
Please post a pic of the rear of the head unit if possible. I still think the CDC - head unit link is fiber optic. Or it should be.

take care,

George
Damm never took any pictures ,but thinking about it there was a connector on the cd unit just 2 wires they were definitely NOT noramal wires .
I stand corrected ,oh well looks like I will stick with the fm modulator then .

Old 01-24-2014 | 11:14 AM

Car Kit MP3 Player Wireless FM Transmitter Modulator USB SD MMC LCD with Remote | eBay

I got one of these awhile ago to play my MP3 player in my 2007 S-type. It sits in the console between seats, plugged in with cover down. When received, it took all of 5 minutes to set up. Sound quality is great.
And - it cost a whopping $10.00, shipped

They must have something similar for an IPAD
Good luck

Old 01-24-2014 | 11:25 AM
|

Originally Posted by DougB
Car Kit MP3 Player Wireless FM Transmitter Modulator USB SD MMC LCD with Remote | eBay

I got one of these awhile ago to play my MP3 player in my 2007 S-type. It sits in the console between seats, plugged in with cover down. When received, it took all of 5 minutes to set up. Sound quality is great.
And - it cost a whopping $10.00, shipped

They must have something similar for an IPAD
Good luck
Tried a wireless one in a previous car doug and it was terrible ,
This wired one is a lot better not perfect but better ,I just hope that not having good quality sound from my ipod is not going to rag me off that much that it makes me get rid of the jag , I have only had it 3 weeks ha ha ha .
To be honest I think I may be able to live with the sound at the moment .

Old 01-24-2014 | 01:59 PM
Veteran Member

As has been posted, you can have better quality at more cost. So just choose how much quality you're willing to pay for.

I've the premium sound system and to me it's good enough to leave well alone.

If I wanted to listen to really good music in the car I'd want the engine off but then I'd flatten the battery...

Old 01-24-2014 | 02:38 PM
|

I take back my earlier post about the wired modulator ,it's rubbish sound s fuzzy and distorted ,and even a little hiss now and then in the back ground .....
I think I will be ripping it out the first chance I get ...
Maybe look at getting the parrot mki9200...

Old 01-25-2014 | 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

I take back my earlier post about the wired modulator ,it's rubbish sound s fuzzy and distorted ,and even a little hiss now and then in the back ground .....
I think I will be ripping it out the first chance I get ...
Maybe look at getting the parrot mki9200...
If you go with the parrot system it will connect to your speakers directly and thus you are limited to it's built in amps which ain't much.

But ... if you get The ACM you could connect it up via the AUX-IN and use your car's amplifiers.

Of course you could just connect your Ipod to the ACM directly and save the cost of the Parrot!

Dension - Jaguar

Download the manuals.

It's gotten more expensive in that couple of years.

One of a number of threads about all of this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-photos-50454/

Old 01-25-2014 | 10:53 AM
|

Originally Posted by Staatsof
If you go with the parrot system it will connect to your speakers directly and thus you are limited to it's built in amps which ain't much.

But ... if you get The ACM you could connect it up via the AUX-IN and use your car's amplifiers.

Of course you could just connect your Ipod to the ACM directly and save the cost of the Parrot!

Dension - Jaguar

Download the manuals.

It's gotten more expensive in that couple of years.

One of a number of threads about all of this:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-photos-50454/
Acm way to expensive for me and then you are limited as to how you can play your ipod ,not by album but by playlist .Just because I have a jag does not mean I am rich.
I hinder stand what you say about the parrot using its own amp ,this will not concern me as my jaguar has no amp so it could well be an improvement .
I have just bought a used mki9000 did not want the mki92000 as I did not want the screen on show for the local scum bags to be pinching .

Old 02-01-2014 | 11:15 AM
|

Ok fitted the parrot mki9000 today and it works like a dream ,due to not already having an amp the sound is very good , way way better than the modulator .
The only thing I have not done yet is got the mic lead up to the centre dome light ,I cannot figure how to get it out .got the screw out the sunglasses holder but cannot find whats holding it up .i know a lot of people have broken them in the past and I do not want to do that .

Old 02-01-2014 | 12:25 PM
Lawler999 (02-01-2014)

Quick Reply: That ipod in s type thread again