S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isolating the intercooling circuit to make the intercooler more efficient....

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,623 Posts

Originally Posted by jag79
...Get it from Eurotoys. They give you a OEM Jag thermostat gasket for free. I replaced mine when I did the 1.7lb pulley upgrade. Cost less than the OEM Jag thermostat.
Thanks.

Won't leak if you pop the valve off like Brutal recommends. Although the remaining hole still has to be near the top.

You realise that the Napa/Gates thermostat is a repackaged OEM Waxstat and that it comes with the gasket? Less than $10. Absolutely exactly the same as the factory one.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...mostats-72845/

Problem is that it comes in one temp only. 183*F

Last edited by plums; 05-23-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Good question, I wonder if this is compatible to use with our OEM Jag coolant in our Jags?
Well, if it's okay in say a Camaro ... but do they run it alone or with Dexcool?

Old 05-24-2012, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Here is a motorad one to show you how much margin Eurotoys is taking:
Amazon.com: Motorad 304-170 Thermostat: Automotive

However I don't recommend lower temp thermostats, for the stype in colder climates you could get check engine light if the engine doesn't get up to temp within an expected time. The benefit isn't that big either.

Edit: Should have mentioned the free gasket Eurotoys includes, that is indeed a nice gesture. You can also buy them here for $0,61
http://www.car-stuff.com/2006jaguars...ostatoring.htm

Last edited by avos; 05-24-2012 at 12:24 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by avos:
bfsgross (05-24-2012), jag79 (05-24-2012), plums (05-24-2012), User 070620 (08-22-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Veteran Member

It's really interesting that they say this in the application specific notes for the 2000 XJR:

170f/77c Thermostat
OE TYPE THERMOSTAT - MFG. RECOMMENDED TEMPERATURE - 170 DEGREE -

Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Veteran Member

Here are 2 other alternatives as well:
Stant #35588 (176F)
Beck/Arnley #143-0412 (167F)

This was from a couple of years back when I was experimenting with different ones, but I can't remember anymore which one would be best to use. I also noticed that there is a difference in how quick they open besides the actual open temp. If your thermostat is ok, I would leave it.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avos
I also noticed that there is a difference in how quick they open besides the actual open temp. If your thermostat is ok, I would leave it.
It's only a week old

The original was sluggish on opening. The new one is substantially faster at the early stages.

Do the alternates open faster or slower?

Old 05-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Didn't read the link you provided actually, but did now, probably best to check it next week then ;-).

I tested new ones, and noticed there that they had different speeds at which they open. I think, but could be wrong here, that I used a 83c one which seemed to open quicker.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Not a chance!

Still burping the system from the last opening.

BTW, massaging the right hand side hose at the radiator seems much more effective than the left hand hose. Maybe it has something to do with that hose being downstream from the thermostat restriction.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I have not taken any data before and after with the low temp thermostat. In my estimation, though, low temp thermostat has a marginal benefit. I would not be surprised if the 12 degree lower setpoint lowers the intake temp a degree a or two by conduction and convection...hardly enough to make a disecerable difference....
Exactly- lowering coolant temp has little effect on air inlet temps. Running a 'cold' engine (putting aside air inlet temps) is counterproductive to engine efficiency and maximum power output.

Originally Posted by Cat Man Do
Anyone hear of Water Wetter? Wondering if would help.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - WaterWetter® Coolant Additives
The additives and compounds contained in waterwetter that work their mgic are already present in standard antifreeze. Nothing to gain by adding more.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Veteran member
Received 251 Likes on 220 Posts

Good question, I wonder if this is compatible to use with our OEM Jag coolant in our Jags?
It is fine to run (I've had it in over a year) but it hasn't produced any noticeable results. I was a little low on coolant (leaking hose) so I figured I would try it.

The following users liked this post:
jag79 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
Not a chance!

Still burping the system from the last opening.

BTW, massaging the right hand side hose at the radiator seems much more effective than the left hand hose. Maybe it has something to do with that hose being downstream from the thermostat restriction.
HI Plums, can I ask what coolant brand did you use to refill her up the last time? If you have the OEM Jag coolant still in your system, Zerex G-05 is a better alternative, since it contains very little Silicates and no Phosphates. My local Jag mechanic told me he seen a lot of cases to worn gaskets and seals in Jags from the use of OEM Jag coolant(Pinkish REd).The mechanic suggested to stay away from OEM Jag coolant and use a Yellow substitute coolant like Zerex G-05 which is compatible. The DexCool (orange) is not always best to use because it doesn't contain NO SILICATES NOR Phosphates, but you need a little Silicates for Water Pump protection so he mentioned stay away from it.... I took his advice and he refilled my system with Zerex G-05 like almost 2 gallons after doing the thermostat change. I didn't completely drain out the whole system which I should have before the refill, but almost 2 gallons of the OEM Jag coolant was removed and replaced with Zerex G-05. I had no air problems or nothing thus far, its been a little over 2 weeks now driving in upper 90's weather here in FL. without and hiccups.

I did notice that my Temp indicator takes at least 5 mins longer to get to the Half mark on the Temp Guage. Before it would climb up to the half mark within 2mins or so. I guess the Low Temp thermostat is doing its thing and saving you those few extra cool minutes

LINk to Zerex Coolant Chart.

** Even though Zerex Extreme is Orange in color & its very close to DEX-COOl coolant, but remember it Contains No Silicates as compared to Zerex G-05 which you need a little for its purpose of adding in protection such as the water pump. The Phosphate FREE use is a must regardless what coolant you use!!

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/download...ineupChart.pdf

Last edited by jag79; 05-24-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

HI Plums, can I ask what coolant brand did you use to refill her up the last time? If you have the OEM Jag coolant still in your system, Zerex G-05 is a better alternative, since it contains very little Silicates and no Phosphates. My local Jag mechanic told me he seen a lot of cases to worn gaskets and seals in Jags from the use of OEM Jag coolant(Pinkish REd).The mechanic suggested to stay away from OEM Jag coolant and use a Yellow substitute coolant like Zerex G-05 which is compatible. The DexCool (orange) is not always best to use because it doesn't contain NO SILICATES NOR Phosphates, but you need a little Silicates for Water Pump protection so he mentioned stay away from it.... I took his advice and he refilled my system with Zerex G-05 like almost 2 gallons after doing the thermostat change. I didn't completely drain out the whole system which I should have before the refill, but almost 2 gallons of the OEM Jag coolant was removed and replaced with Zerex G-05. I had no air problems or nothing thus far, its been a little over 2 weeks now driving in upper 90's weather here in FL. without and hiccups.

I did notice that my Temp indicator takes at least 5 mins longer to get to the Half mark on the Temp Guage. Before it would climb up to the half mark within 2mins or so. I guess the Low Temp thermostat is doing its thing and saving you those few extra cool minutes

LINk to Zerex Coolant Chart.

** Even though Zerex Extreme is Orange in color & its very close to DEX-COOl coolant, but remember it Contains No Silicates as compared to Zerex G-05 which you need a little for its purpose of adding in protection such as the water pump. The Phosphate FREE use is a must regardless what coolant you use!!

http://www.whitfieldoil.com/download...ineupChart.pdf
Zerex G-05 has silicon inhibitors, and these are needed IF you have a metal impeller water pump as they will otherwise erode over time due to cavitation. But as we have plastic impellers, we do not need silicon particles or other inhibitors to protect from cavitation, which is pretty smart from Jaguar.

So best to stay away from any coolant with silicon in it, as that can crystalize and attack the water pump seals and cause leakage.

Dexcool is good for our engines.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Zerex G-05 has silicon inhibitors, and these are needed IF you have a metal impeller water pump as they will otherwise erode over time due to cavitation. But as we have plastic impellers, we do not need silicon particles or other inhibitors to protect from cavitation, which is pretty smart from Jaguar.

So best to stay away from any coolant with silicon in it, as that can crystalize and attack the water pump seals and cause leakage.

Dexcool is good for our engines.
Avos theres a lot of debate on using DEXCOOL. But all coolant antifreeze including DEX Cool contain traces of Silicon in them. What you mentioned about having plastic impellers is true but its also true that there hasn't been sound evidence showing small amounts of Silicon (PPM) in antifreeze causing worn seals etc.... Since my local Jag mechanic works on jags only all day he's witnessed a lot of damage caused by using OEM Jag coolant over long term usage. To help minimize the problem he suggest using Zerex G-05 or its equivalent (not that he is promoting for the company) which is better suitable for our Jags and easy on the wear and tear of the seals etc...

Last edited by jag79; 05-24-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

If you read the details about WaterWetter you will understand that the name says it all.
Pure water is far superior to anti-freeze. Much better heat transfer ability. WaterWetter improves this further by breaking down the surface tension of the water so it flows more easily into small nooks and crannies inside the engine block.
Since all street cars need to run anti-freeze. WaterWetter in water-antifreeze combinations is less effective than straight water in the cooling system. But it can help.
As far as the WaterWtter additives being in the antifreeze already. I don't know and would think if true the anti-freeze sellers would advertise the fact?? I mean why not? Since they don't I don't think it's in there.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member

Avos theres a lot of debate on using DEXCOOL. But all coolant antifreeze including DEX Cool contain traces of Silicon in them. What you mentioned about having plastic impellers is true but its also true that there hasn't been sound evidence showing small amounts of Silicon (PPM) in antifreeze causing worn seals etc.... Since my local Jag mechanic works on jags only all day he's witnessed a lot of damage caused by using OEM Jag coolant over long term usage. To help minimize the problem he suggest using Zerex G-05 or its equivalent (not that he is promoting for the company) which is better suitable for our Jags and easy on the wear and tear of the seals etc...
Be wary of a mechanic that has worked for years on Jaguars, and doesn't know that these engines use a plastic impellers, he has given you here wrong advice here...

There is no debate on Dexcool for Jaguar engines (or have I missed something?), over time Jaguar even has extended the change intervals as it has worked so well, and are still using it.

Are you aware that Jaguar had lots of issues with silicone type coolant used in the early V8's (pre 2000 iirc)? They used shortly a green stuff (lots of silicone), then coolant D985 type , this one was yellow but I am not sure of the content. These could clog up the heater core for instance. Attached is the TSB recommending to go the the XLC (dexcool) with a extensive flush procedure as xlc and silicone types shouldn't be mixed.

Attached Files
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird6

As far as the WaterWtter additives being in the antifreeze already. I don't know and would think if true the anti-freeze sellers would advertise the fact?? I mean why not? Since they don't I don't think it's in there.
Here you go:

Cooling Fluids

Old 05-24-2012, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

Be wary of a mechanic that has worked for years on Jaguars, and doesn't know that these engines use a plastic impellers, he has given you here wrong advice here...

There is no debate on Dexcool for Jaguar engines (or have I missed something?), over time Jaguar even has extended the change intervals as it has worked so well, and are still using it.

Are you aware that Jaguar had lots of issues with silicone type coolant used in the early V8's (pre 2000 iirc)? They used shortly a green stuff (lots of silicone), then coolant D985 type , this one was yellow but I am not sure of the content. These could clog up the heater core for instance. Attached is the TSB recommending to go the the XLC (dexcool) with a extensive flush procedure as xlc and silicone types shouldn't be mixed.
I was referring to the DExCool coolant debate in general not just for Jag use.
My mechanic knows that it has the plastic impellers, but again small amounts measured in PPM which Zerex G-05 contains around 250-302 PPM Silicon isn't going to cause problems to the seals etc..and yes I'm aware that the green coolant that was used on early Jag V8's pre 2000 was a disaster. Since I have already have Zerex G-05 coolant in my system, I'll report if I have any problems down the line, if DExcool is what someone wants to use its their preference but I'm just saying what I have been told by my mechanic who isn't just a mechanic but a good close friend as well, so I know he isn't going to be telling me something false of what he sees and recommends.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Is there enough airflow over the intercoolers for the use of a bonded-on aluminum heat-sink? Would it help dissapate heat-soak from there during stop and go traffic?

Just throwing ideas out there...

Old 05-24-2012, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member

I only reacted as you were putting the text in Bold, which contained incorrect statement "but you need a little Silicates for Water Pump protection so he mentioned stay away from it...."

The 1st year was indeed the green stuff, the number D985 I mentioned for the yellow one was actually for that one. The yellow stuff I mentioned was D542, which was also discontinued/replaced by Jaguar from the 2000 model year (or abouts). The D542 seems close to G48, which is also close to the G05, but I have no actual data of it.

Am not saying your engine will disintegrate of course, but as there are no known issues with the dexcool for Jaguar as far I am aware off, I just can’t see why one would go thru the trouble of going for a different spec coolant that is not approved/tested by Jaguar and spend lots of time/money in going thru a thorough (and chemical) flush.

But coming back to the performance spirit of the thread, if I ever would change, I would consider Evans NPG+. But this is not as good for the intercooler system, so then you need to separate the 2, and possibly also separate the transmission cooling as well. Have no experience with this stuff though, but on paper it sound pretty interesting to say the least.

jag79 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-24-2012, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

edit: nevermind, this thread is about intercoolers, and maybe thermotstats ...

Last edited by plums; 05-24-2012 at 11:06 PM.
jag79 (05-24-2012)

Quick Reply: Isolating the intercooling circuit to make the intercooler more efficient....