S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've brought a neverending problem car!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013 | 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by GT42R
I feel bad for anyone in an 99-02 S-Type. There should be a forum sticky at the top warning any potential buyers of these particular models to stay as far away as possible. Glad the 03+ cars are a little more robust...
I have an 01, and it runs great. I only had one issue (frayed wire), and everything else is just normal problems (battery, expansion tank, window regulator).

The primary problem I see with PO Jaguars is they hit the secondary market where new owners don't understand how to care for a high end automobile. They drive them abusively and perform cheap, hatchet-job repairs on what they break. Eventually, 12 years later, they get sold for £750, if they don't get scrapped first.

Here's my advice to you:
#1 Scour this forum. Learn all you can about your car. Once you dispel the mystery of the problems they won't seem so bad.
#2 Identify the car's problems.
#3 Prioritize those problems from 'must fix now' down to 'cosmetic'.
#4 Sort out the issues down the list, one at a time.

In the end, you'll have a fine automobile that will still turn heads. Just be patient. People on the forum will help. And above all...

DON'T PANIC

Old 01-13-2013 | 04:28 PM
|

S TYPES don't go for alot around here. My previous jag I swapped for a ford focus which was worth £600 and gave £200 on top so basically cost me £800 with 160K on the clock and it was faultless apart from fitting a new radiator. As they said you get what you pay for but anything in my eyes of an a type under a 2000 reg is not worth more than 1200 if I'm right in saying so? As I said the car was inspected myself and a friend,test driven & thoroughly checked over. Same as any car which is purchased,just have to take the good with the bad. And it's a fairy tidy car to be honest. Ill upload a picture to show it's not just a piece of crap covered in dents with ripped interior etcc.

Picture below

Attached Thumbnails I've brought a neverending problem car!!-223c0b1c-d577-400e-bec2-06713e85be54-17258-0000098b6d03f81e.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013 | 04:30 PM
|

Originally Posted by Jagtastic
I have an 01, and it runs great. I only had one issue (frayed wire), and everything else is just normal problems (battery, expansion tank, window regulator).

The primary problem I see with PO Jaguars is they hit the secondary market where new owners don't understand how to care for a high end automobile. They drive them abusively and perform cheap, hatchet-job repairs on what they break. Eventually, 12 years later, they get sold for £750, if they don't get scrapped first.

Here's my advice to you:
#1 Scour this forum. Learn all you can about your car. Once you dispel the mystery of the problems they won't seem so bad.
#2 Identify the car's problems.
#3 Prioritize those problems from 'must fix now' down to 'cosmetic'.
#4 Sort out the issues down the list, one at a time.

In the end, you'll have a fine automobile that will still turn heads. Just be patient. People on the forum will help. And above all...

DON'T PANIC
Thanks Just a case of time and money! Will be a good car to keep for the long run and does/has everything I want it to.

Old 01-13-2013 | 04:36 PM
|

Originally Posted by darren-talbot
Dude that's a little harsh. Remember £750 may be a lot of cash for some and not a lot to others.

And maybe the OP has wanted this type of car for a long time. So go a little easy on him.

OP you've got to think about the fact that your buying a car which originally was in the high 20-40 thousand pounds.

The fact you have got one for under 1k is good but with this type of luxury car things will be wrong with it at this price. And things will be expensive.
I paid almost 3k for mine and have spent the same getting it back up together.
You have to think once all the bits are fixed you'll have a great car for the money. And even if it's cost you a couple of thousand to get the car up together what kind of other car could you get for £2750 to match the comfort, luxury and performance of these cars there are a few sure. But it's a lot of car for not a lot of money in the car world.

Hope things work out for you dude.
I got this car as it was the right price,I knew it had a misfire and knew i had to replace all 6 plugs and coils. I could of done just the one but what's the point. It was test driven and inspected with no problems at all. Because I drive the car ALOT and where I live is surrounded by a pothole and bumps every 5 yards it's obvious the car is going to start falling to bits ie the ball joint & tracking. As for the waterpump and water leak this is just standard wear and tear and could go at anytime which it did. The main things which have gone wrong as suspected have gone wrong so it's peace of mind knowing them parts have been replaced. So for £750 whether its an amazing car which is faultless or an absolute bag of crap,these things happen and i ranted on here just because I was concerned, not to complain about my '£750 car'

Old 01-13-2013 | 05:12 PM

Just to clarify. I wasn't having a dig dude. I was actually trying to be helpful

Like I said hope the car all works out for you.

Old 01-14-2013 | 03:07 AM
|

Originally Posted by darren-talbot
Just to clarify. I wasn't having a dig dude. I was actually trying to be helpful

Like I said hope the car all works out for you.
I replied to the wrong comment and not the other insulting plonker. Thanks though appreciate it

The following users liked this post:
darren-talbot (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013 | 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

That's a nice looking S-Type. Fix the mechanicals then enjoy.

Old 01-14-2013 | 08:12 AM
|

Originally Posted by bfsgross
That's a nice looking S-Type. Fix the mechanicals then enjoy.
Thanks

Old 01-14-2013 | 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stanners
I replied to the wrong comment and not the other insulting plonker. Thanks though appreciate it
I guess that's me. Good luck with your car.

Old 01-14-2013 | 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Mikey,
I don't find your posts offensive.
You were wrong about the inspection - it seems the OP did a lot of pre-purchase investigation.
Any car for £750 is going to be potential trouble.

Old 01-14-2013 | 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Mikey,
I don't find your posts offensive.
You were wrong about the inspection - it seems the OP did a lot of pre-purchase investigation.
Any car for £750 is going to be potential trouble.
Except he missed the

"Needs new balljoints
Bad Rust on the chassis "

Those didn't appear overnight and would be a show stopper (for me). If the OP paid someone to inspect it, he should go after them. If he did the inspection himself, well...............

Not really being familiar with S-type prices in the UK or on the continent, I'd nonetheless be VERY suspicious of a car selling for that price and would presume it has a bucket full of 'issues'.

Old 01-14-2013 | 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Stanners
S TYPES don't go for alot around here. My previous jag I swapped for a ford focus which was worth £600 and gave £200 on top so basically cost me £800 with 160K on the clock and it was faultless apart from fitting a new radiator. As they said you get what you pay for but anything in my eyes of an a type under a 2000 reg is not worth more than 1200 if I'm right in saying so? As I said the car was inspected myself and a friend,test driven & thoroughly checked over. Same as any car which is purchased,just have to take the good with the bad. And it's a fairy tidy car to be honest. Ill upload a picture to show it's not just a piece of crap covered in dents with ripped interior etcc.

Picture below
Hi there Stanners, if that's your £750 S-type you did REALLY well !!!

Looks very attractive and with a little tlc and parts you'll have a car to be proud of.

The very best of luck to you.

Originally Posted by Mikey

Not really being familiar with S-type prices in the UK or on the continent, I'd nonetheless be VERY suspicious of a car selling for that price and would presume it has a bucket full of 'issues'.
Right now the UK prices are at a really low ebb. I just bought my 2004 4.2 v8 for £2000 and she is a peach - no problems up to now at all; just a delight. I don't subscribe to the argument the more expensive will always be better.

Dave

Last edited by thebiglad; 01-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.