S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag just had a complete Meltdown with clients in the car...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it happened again last night what I forgot to mention was also the "Cruise Control Not Available" came on and this time the check engine light came on as well in addition to the other three DSC Fault, Parkbrake Fault, and Engine System Fault. Can I upload the video? Will check the battery brand now. Im taking the car to a shop here in vegas to see what the hell is going on. Last night i was stranded a bit longer than the first.. not fun.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this doesn't really apply to your situation, but it reminded me of what a mechanic friend of mine used to say. He called an event when all the dash-lights go on simultaneously the "Christmas Mode" (he usually had no idea why it happened when he said this). He went on to say that when the whole dash goes flickers On and Off repeatedly was the "Vegas Mode". His favorite saying was that "Jaguars run on magic smoke. Once the smoke escapes from the wires, they stop working!". He may not have been a great mechanic, but at least he had a sense of humor!

Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magic Smoke is the key concept for all power tools as well. Once you let the Magic Smoke out, they don't work anymore! Always gets a laugh!

Let the Magic Smoke out of my polesaw last week coincidentally!

Old 06-27-2012, 04:03 PM

$2400 fix it's the throttle body.... Please exuse me while I need to calm down.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Pardon me but I don't believe it.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:12 PM

My apologies I picked up the car they did not explain it all over the phone. $95.00 for diagnostics, $1016 for Throttle Body replacement, $1090 for brakes and rotors, and $95 labor... How does that sound? Unfortunately, I love the car but we are looking at trading it in. Taking it to Carmax this weekend to see what they will give us for it and then looking at getting either the Jaguar XF, Cadillac CTS, Audi A6, or the BMW 750i. Will update but what do you all think about the repair costs and labor? Apparently the problem is an electronic signal reports a bad signal and puts the car into limp mode...

Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The TB fault can give you many codes. My TB let me down 3 times before I got a P code for it and I documented it on my page JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource As for the cost of replacement/repair ASI has the best price $500.00 and a lifetime guarantee.

The following users liked this post:
gavinw35 (06-27-2012)
Old 06-27-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

$1090 for rotors and brakes sounds incredibly high to me. These have 4 disc brakes, which are the easiest type to work on. The $95 labor makes sense since it would take less than an hour to replace all 4 rotors and pads. My question would be why did they replace them? It sounds like it has nothing to do with the problem and the rotors are evidently sterling silver.

I'm not sure what the Throttle body (Transmitter?) replacement would be for a Jag, but that seems a tad high too. I'd say about $300.00 for a standard one, ($200 for the part and $100 Labor) but maybe that translates to $1016 for Jag.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by tmurray
$1090 for rotors and brakes sounds incredibly high to me. These have 4 disc brakes, which are the easiest type to work on. The $95 labor makes sense since it would take less than an hour to replace all 4 rotors and pads. My question would be why did they replace them? It sounds like it has nothing to do with the problem and the rotors are evidently sterling silver.

I'm not sure what the Throttle body (Transmitter?) replacement would be for a Jag, but that seems a tad high too. I'd say about $300.00 for a standard one, ($200 for the part and $100 Labor) but maybe that translates to $1016 for Jag.
None of the work has been done yet as we are figuring out wether to trade it in or pay the repairs... The rotors are warped and apparently only good for another month tops they said. Also he said Jag parts are more than mercedes and BMW? I believe it though.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Just an FYI if you think Jaguar is the only car that breaks down you are sadly mistaken. The other cars you mentioned are luxury cars and come with a price and baggage but that choice is yours. I do understand the frustration.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Who says that you must use Jaguar parts? You can often get the same parts cheaper by an outside source and some aftermarket parts cut the price in half.

Originally Posted by gavinw35
None of the work has been done yet as we are figuring out wether to trade it in or pay the repairs... The rotors are warped and apparently only good for another month tops they said. Also he said Jag parts are more than mercedes and BMW? I believe it though.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinw35
Maybe you can take the rotors to Autozone for a second opinion. They'll turn the rotors for free if they're not warped too bad. They also don't charge to look at them.

As for parts pricing, perhaps Jag is higher than some, but Gus (above) found a nice part for less than half of the quote you had.

Not a jag, but I found that the Throttle Position Transmitter can cause strange problems in subarus and if you adjust them slightly out of spec (towards the high side), you can get them to behave. I'd at least give cleaning a try before replacement either way.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the tips will have to try them... All cars have issues but I dont think the S type is worth more than 10,000 anymore its a 2005 S-type 4.2. to spend 2400 on a 10,000 car doesnt make sense... it might be time for a new one we have had it since new now at 58000 miles. We will see what they offer me at the dealers and what i can see about getting the parts for cheaper.. $500 is not bad at all

Old 06-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
I own a 2004 Jaguar S type and I bought her just 2 months ago. The exact same issues happened when I was driving down from Cleveland, where I bought it, to Buffalo where I currently live. ABS light, DSC not available, Check Engine light and of course Park Brake Fault all came on at the same time and the car went into "limp" mode, not going faster than 15 miles an hour. I took her to the Jag dealer in the area but they sent me home because they said they didn't have the appropriate diagnostic system to diagnose it (a Jag dealer said that). I remember from the Jag dealer to my house which is about a 10 mile drive the car would constantly go to limp mode and I had to pull over and re-start the car to fix the issue.
I read the posts on this website and my mechanic, who doesn't normally repair Jags but is a smart man, and I, pulled out the sensors in the throttle body, cleaned the wires, connections and etc with WD40, and then replaced them. Not once has this happened again. It could be a battery issue as well with the battery not being able to power up all the sensors, but mine was a throttle body wiring issue, that was triggered by rain and moisture but would also come on on random drives on the highway setting the car into limp mode. Check the throttle body wiring, clean all the connections, maybe your problem will be fixed.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

FYI My cars XK8 1999 123,000mi K&N Filter, S-Type 2000 3.0 96,500mi K&N Filter

Old 06-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

If you feel you must replace the TB get a used one.

You don't have the right symptoms for a TB fault but at least used is quite cheap.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Get the car back from that dealer at once! Don't give them a cent.

$1090 for pads & rotors is theft, plain and simple

www.perfectbrakes.com EBC factory online shop for USA

Redstuff Pads Front set $88.56
Redstuff Pads Rear set $88.56
UPR Discs Front pair $102.56
UPR Discs Rear pair $76.04

If it is really the throttle body, then it's likely a connection in the throttle body, someone in this thread mentioned unplugging everything & cleaning the connectors, DO IT OR FIND AN INDEPENDANT SHOP TO DO IT FOR YOU!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:51 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

In 1976, I worked for British Motor Car Distributors in Anaheim Ca. The new XJS was just being released and many people were on a waiting list with deposits reserving one of the new cars. Finally, the first XJS arrived and the salesman called the first person on the list. The car was being finished with its pre-delivery inspection on the lift. Apparently, someone had sprayed the bottom of the car with undercoating and had failed to "mask off" the exhaust system. As I watched (I was a "lot boy" at the time), the timing couldn't be more perfect. Just as the customer arrived, the salesman proudly pointed to the car on the lift and exclaimed... "there she is! whatcha think?!?" At this exact moment in time, the car burst into flames and was completely engulfed in a consuming fire! As the customer and salesman watched the mayhem, the customer calmly turned to the salesman and said... "call me when you get another one". Life can certainly be more interesting than fiction sometimes!

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tmurray
Maybe you can take the rotors to Autozone for a second opinion. They'll turn the rotors for free if they're not warped too bad. They also don't charge to look at them.

As for parts pricing, perhaps Jag is higher than some, but Gus (above) found a nice part for less than half of the quote you had.

Not a jag, but I found that the Throttle Position Transmitter can cause strange problems in subarus and if you adjust them slightly out of spec (towards the high side), you can get them to behave. I'd at least give cleaning a try before replacement either way.
I've done just that ( moved TPS ) the car has been fine for the last 350+ miles
Not only fine it is now more responsive 1st thought it was my imagination but on a run to dusseldorf today some ***** in a BM wanted the bit of road I was on and when I jabbed the throttle she just went instead of having a cup of tea before deciding what gear to drop into

Old 12-19-2012, 08:56 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Has it come back?

Originally Posted by Jeff0296
Just a quick update. On mine

Done just over 200 miles today all sorts of driving conditions and pushed the car into situations where the fault would occur.

No fault

Not suggesting it's the cure all for everyone but it might be worth looking at as a quick free for 4.2 engines with same throttle body and mileage(84,000 miles),maybe not adjusting the butterfly stop position but rotating the sensor anticlockwise a mil or two.

Still early days though will update if fault returns or I get around to replacing the sensor.

I should have really started my own thread sorry new to this sort of thing
Could one of the mods shuffle my posts around a bit or something unless it's ok to leave my posts here,

Regards

Jeff
Wondering if the Fault has returned? I tried the same trick with my throttle body and the fault has gone away.

Thanks,
Jeff

Quick Reply: Jag just had a complete Meltdown with clients in the car...