S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jag S Type VS Chrysler 300

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,538 Likes on 3,947 Posts

Everyone has their own reasons for why one car is "better" (more preferable to them) than another. Just seeing someone's list can be very interesting - doesn't mean you have to agree with it from a different point of view

I had fun, at any rate.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
. If I'm looking getting a new vehicle, and two that I'm considering are a Focus, and a Land Rover, then you better bet your *** that I'm gonna COMPARE the two! Then pit the pros and cons of each against what I'm looking for in a vehicle. Do I want MPG, or a car I can take off road? Parking spot potential, or the ability to make my own parking spot? For example.

Come on man, your too damn focused and stuck on the words to get over the fact he did a good comparison on two vehicles he has owned. Perhaps the comparison is not for you, so what. He’s not Top Gear, he’s not Car and Driver. So he don't have to worry about them being the same class or not.

Listen , you want to compare a vehicle that's $75,000, against a Focus (toilet bowl with wheels on it), that don't have similar qualities, you go do that.
Do you know anything about value? Never mind, barely eclectic enough the understand the meaning of the word compare.

The saying "don't compare apples to oranges" wouldn't be in existance if it wasn't for you...

OP stated, overall, he likes the 300 over the S type. Do i think it's a fair comparison? NO.....but that's fine, we are all different and have our own likes and preferences. He is happy with the 300, that's all that matters.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Yea, Mike, my opinion of the interior is really specific to my case and use. It's like one of those ugly "Little Tikes" table and chairs for kids. A nice wood one is much more appealing to me, but when subjected to the rigors of little munchkins it pink,blue,white thing holds up much better... LOL another first hand comparison. Trust me, if my personal situation was different, the interior alone may have taken the 300 off my list...

The V6 charger you referenced may have had the crappy Chrysler 4 speed transmission. Most of them did. In the real early years upper trim 3.5 V6 cars had the 5 speed but Chrysler dropped it to save money. The big tell tale is if it had the "auto-stick" function. Auto-stick is the 5 speed, non is the 4 speed. The only issue I've seen with the 5 speed so far is I would agree that manual shifts are sluggish. Honestly with the help of the handheld tuner I have it shifts great in just auto mode. Before the tuner, it shifted nice. Yea, it's short a gear, but it doesn't lurch like my ZF used to. I also didn't get the sluggish shifts that others mentioned. Now, with the shifts tuned by my Diablosport Predator, it rocks.

Other than that, I totally agree. I also expected that most people in here would like the S Type better.. Just thought it would be fun...
Jeff,

It was about a year and a half or so since I rented the Charger. I don't recall if it had the auto stick or not.

The munchkin test might be difficult for an S-Type to pass though. Too easy to mess up the leather or other nice stuff. You need to get the seats covered in clear plastic

Mike

Old 12-28-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by carelm
Jeff,

The munchkin test might be difficult for an S-Type to pass though. Too easy to mess up the leather or other nice stuff. ...

Mike
Leather will clean....Rear-seat cupholders are the first casualty!

Old 12-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Leather will clean....Rear-seat cupholders are the first casualty!
I take it you are speaking from experience If not, a pretty good guess assuming the munchkins are restricted to the back seat.

Mike

Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SchultzLD
lol, I think we just a bit biased in here.

Edit: Now go post your OP in the 300 forum, and you'll see everyone complaining that you gave the S-Type marks better than the 300. ha ha ha Gotta love the internets... groups of biased people flexing their internet muscles...
He He He... I did... and funny thing is they all agreed. Including where I was critical of the Chrysler. The folks on the LX forum get the down sides to these cars.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by carelm
Jeff,

It was about a year and a half or so since I rented the Charger. I don't recall if it had the auto stick or not.

The munchkin test might be difficult for an S-Type to pass though. Too easy to mess up the leather or other nice stuff. You need to get the seats covered in clear plastic

Mike
Year and a half, huh... You had a 4 speed car... They are really "EWWWW".

Like you said, when pitting a V6 LX to the 3.0 Jag it is no comparison. What advantage you have in the Hemi cars is gone with the real cheap V6 ers. They really strip them down to hit that 25k price point.

About the interior again, both my S and the 300C had/have leather, and it is easy to clean. The "Little Tikes" analogy really work here. While the 300 feels like crap to the touch, man is that stuff tough. The leather and plastics have taken a beating and still look and feel fine. I felt like I needed to duct tape the little angels in the S Type so they didn't scratch or break anything.. And yes, they killed the rear cup holders as well.... But in the Chrysler I just don't worry as much. There really isn't anything they can break. And some day I'll get all the squeaky bits insulated so she is quiet inside. I'm about half way there. At this point, any other LX owner would be amazed at how quiet it is.. Just not up to my standard yet...

Old 12-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Man this thread has gotten more action then I ever thought it would.. Weee...

I'd like to restate my opinion on the two. Maybe shed some light on why I feel the way I do.

I really loved to drive the S Type when I had it. I loved the sophistication that I felt in many things about that car. The performance, the feel, just the aura of that car was incredible. And that was a lesser appreciated model in the Jaguar family. They are truly beautiful cars.

The 300 just feels tough in a truck like fashion. Then there is the way it drives. In many ways it isn't as good as the Jag but at the same time it is OK. So some things become more forgivable because that car just has this childish enthusiasm. That is the best way to describe it. Anyone who has ever driven a muscle car knows what I'm talking about. Get on it a little from a light and it will chirp into the next gear... Hit the gas in a bend and it will side step a little... All these little playful things go on that makes you smile like a teenager ..and you can do them without fear of getting in trouble... Also, I can ride in a brutal muscle car with power heated seats, satellite radio, power adjustable everything, auto lights and wipers.. Again, a livable, lovable, muscle car...

Old 12-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8
I'd pay $70 for a dipstick for the ZF. If only.
He He... John... Just like seeking out affordable Jag parts, I was able to find a source for parts where the service tool (dip stick) was only $40.00...

Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

$40, even better. The ZF needs a rethink. It's sad (and bad) that ZF clearly don't care. I can imagine Jaguar don't have the muscle to force them but Audi, BMW and others do - and also just haven't cared

Still, it means that my next car is very unlikely to have a ZF box. Their choice.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by JagV8
Still, it means that my next car is very unlikely to have a ZF box. Their choice.
Sad thing is they are everywhere... Even next gen Chrysler's are getting ZF boxes....

Old 12-28-2011, 08:38 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well IMHO, the S Type can be described in one word... 'Beautiful'! I've had/got American cars and they are reasonable transportation. My old Caprice was a boat! The Taurus/Sables were boring. The 2000 Impala is something that GM figured out. It is fun to drive and handles pretty well although rattles including the ISS is a pain. But they pale into insignificance compared to the STR. Boy she is docile and very tight. Light the fire and you are moving; withou fuss. But you pays your money and makes yer choice...

Old 12-29-2011, 03:02 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Sad thing is they are everywhere... Even next gen Chrysler's are getting ZF boxes....
Even less likely I'll get a Chrysler

LOL