S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jags so cheap? Why? Will the new XF affect the S Type in terms of depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: JAGs SO CHEAP ? WHY ? WILL THE NEW XF AFFECT THE DEPRECIATION OF S-TYPES IN TERMS OF DEPRECIATIO

They sell to a company in india and I can honestly say I probably would never own another...[X(]
It's bad enough when you call a company all you get to do is talk to someone that speaks barely a word of english...that would be a sad day I hope things turn around for jag so ford hangs onto them...

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: JAGs SO CHEAP ? WHY ? WILL THE NEW XF AFFECT THE DEPRECIATION OF S-TYPES IN TERMS OF DEPRECIATIO

I think that TATA is out of the running to buy Jaguar.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard about that a long time ago but I don't think that went through...so I just checked and this article is all too new![X(] LINK

Old 02-17-2011, 03:33 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile wholesale purchase s type 2003

I work at a dealer in WV and we got an 03 5 Speed manual in on trade in November. Being in a cold area also in an area where Jag is not a big seller, we could not sell it. Snow was flying from late november to late January and customers would not even look at it because of rear wheel drive and manual transmission in lux sedan. 68000 miles dealership put new brakes and new tires on it. They had invested 10,300 by the end of Jaguar. I offered sales mgr 7000 and was able to buy it for 7500. I feel like I got the steal of a lifetime. It is Black not a scratch, interior perfect, runs greeat.

Couple of dashboard vibrations occassionally but I am sure with service CD I can sort those out. Public opinion is really our gain. I also think the 5 speed adds so much enjoyment especially on country roads

Old 02-17-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Why are secondhand Jags. so cheap? -- is the question.
In UK, Jags. have never been brilliant on resale/secondhand prices. At one time it was definitely Mercedes, but they lost it due to chasing sales and forgetting engineering; not blaming the Merc. engineers at all for this, THAT error is down to management.
Now in UK, there's no doubt that BMW have the top slot and have had it for 15 years or so. Maybe this is difficult to understand with expensive parts, and some frankly extremely ugly cars, but the British think they are great, and are showing their chequebooks.
So the question still hangs in the air; why are secondhand Jags so cheap?
Here's my two penn'orth.

1) They have always in the past been felt to be an old man's/executive car. Nevertheless, italian males drool over them.
2)They got a reputation for rust and rot. In UK that is the kiss of death. But since Ford took over, the body protection was considerably improved.
3) Jaguar have unfortunately fallen into the rip-off trap. This means that when a car gets to a "certain age" (like I am now!) it NEEDS parts, and if a new autobox is going to cost more than the car is worth, it's no surprize the value falls to near-zero. Then the only people interested in the car become engineers who can fix it themselves.
4) The "creeping" loss of reputation over the years takes its toll, and Jaguar end up with problems (no doubt about that lately!), and the company goes from hand to hand like some kind of orphan. Ergo, add to loss of reputation, loss of face. Trusting this analysis helps answer the question.
Leedsman.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,356 Likes on 2,849 Posts

I prefer to look at the glass being half-full rather than half-empty. Had our S-Type not been prone to the typical luxury car's massive depreciation (even moreso with Jaguar) in a short period of time, I never would have been able to steal.... er, buy it for about one-third of what it MSRP'ed for new even with only 18,000 miles on the odometer. Granted, you gotta be able to perform routine maintenance/repairs yourself to make owning these cars worthwhile. But my research told me that prior to my decision to make a lowball offer for the car, so there were no surprises going in. Two years and two months after acquiring the car, we're still very happy with the decision we made to give it a shot for the tasks we need it to do in our household....

Last edited by Jon89; 02-17-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

From the horror stories about dealers misdiagnosing problems, overcharging for repairs and so on, it's hardly surprising that the cars drop so much in price. That then makes it harder for Jaguar to sell new ones. You'd think they could see this and would police their dealers better. Or at all.
There again, if they did I wouldn't have been able to get such a bargain!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

As others have said, it's not just Jaguar. Ever price a Cadillac once it's out of warrantee? When people hear the horror stories, the demand drops and so does the price. It also seems to be human nature to dramatize and exagerate these things. Once the stigma is attached, it's hard to change opinion. $2000. for headlights that fall apart. $3000.00 for a transmission that the dealer probably misdiagnosed. Several people advised me against purchaceing this Jag. It's fun telling tales of woe and relating cute little digs. "Buy a Jag and you can polish the woodgrain while waiting for a tow truck" But with 20,000 miles and being my own mechanic, I figured I'd go for it.

I'm just getting into these cars but been in the car bussiness all my life. It's always about supply & demand. I also own a couple of Brit sportscars...A 72 MGB and a 80TR8. The Triumph suffers from the same negative stigma to a certain extent. Quality and reliability issues with the early TR7 seems to have carried over and remains to this day.

The up side is normal people like me have the oportunity to own some pretty impressive vehicles. Being in the repair bussiness is a big plus for me. I've owned a lot of neat toys over the years. But I could never afford any of them if I couldn't work on them myself.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 20,604 Likes on 8,299 Posts

Another phrase I've heard is that one must own two Jags. One to drive while the other is in the shop. That "myth" seems to have mostly disappeared since Ferd made improvements in the overall quality.
Just hope TATA Motors keeps the pocketbook open enough to keep things going.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Off topic but whatever happened to the OP? Didn't he get the boot for some reason a while back?

Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jayt2
Another phrase I've heard is that one must own two Jags. One to drive while the other is in the shop.
There's a guy on the .co.uk forum who has 2 STRs - one each for him and his wife

Old 02-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2003 STR and a 1961 Xk150S.

I own two Jags.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

My car's green.
So am I now!

Old 02-17-2011, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Doesn't really matter the brand, if you "Need" a car...better have 2. If you "need" 2, better have 3. All will sooner or later have an unscheduled problem. It may not be of a nature that makes the car non-mission-capable, but chances are the fix (whether you perform it at home or send it out to a shop) will require you to take it offline during a time when you need a car (like to go get parts!)

Back to the thread, I noticed it was about 4 yrs old and got resurrected this morning. I bought my first Jag in 08 and I do believe they were cheaper then than when this thread was active in 07. However, (I blame "cash-fer-clunkers) all used-car prices have gone up since then, including Jags, even though they are still significantly discounted with respect to new-car-invoice. I believe the $4/gal gas was significant to the price depression in 08 and fuel price may be starting to have an effect again. For whatever reason, many see Jags as fuel-guzzlers but I find they deliver outstanding fuel economy for the benefits of space and load capacity offered.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

The way I looked at the jag was if I bought the same in a BMW I would have paid $25000 +. I was lucky enough to pick up a 2004 STR one owner car with 51000 miles for $11200 just needed tires. A 2004 BMW 540 or a M5 would have easily doubled my cost. So even though I do my own wrenching I have $10000 - $15000 in the bank for fixing or upgrades, I am really happy with the STR, it not my daily driver. Paul

Old 02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull27
Off topic but whatever happened to the OP? Didn't he get the boot for some reason a while back?
He was a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic and did eventually get banned.

Originally Posted by jagv8
There's a guy on the .co.uk forum who has 2 STRs - one each for him and his wife
We also have his and hers STRs here too https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=50046

Old 02-17-2011, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Start of a trend?

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

lol...Mother/Daughter S-types here....they share shoes and purses...but had to have individual S-Types!!!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 506 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I prefer to look at the glass being half-full rather than half-empty. Had our S-Type not been prone to the typical luxury car's massive depreciation (even moreso with Jaguar) in a short period of time, I never would have been able to steal.... er, buy it for about one-third of what it MSRP'ed for new even with only 18,000 miles on the odometer. Granted, you gotta be able to perform routine maintenance/repairs yourself to make owning these cars worthwhile. But my research told me that prior to my decision to make a lowball offer for the car, so there were no surprises going in. Two years and two months after acquiring the car, we're still very happy with the decision we made to give it a shot for the tasks we need it to do in our household....
Lol Jon, as to your glass half full / half empty theory, an engineer will reply the glass is simply twice as big as it needs to be

I definitely agree that these S-Types, Especially with the 3.0 which share SO much with the ford cousins, are the bargain of the century.

I have an X-Type as well, and the experience hasn't been as great, it's underpowered, the transmission is meh compared to the ZF, the interior isn't put together as well, down the line. That car screams low budget, the S-Type are light years ahead in terms of refinement, ride quality, and overall performance.. BUT it does have a great AWD system, and except for a failed alternator @ 85k has never left me stranded. (actually, it kept killing batteries so technically it died @ home).

These cars will quickly turn into nightmares both from a finanical and frustration perspective for the non resourceful DIY type of person though, especially if they depend on the dealer.

Take care,

George

Quick Reply: Jags so cheap? Why? Will the new XF affect the S Type in terms of depreciation