Sponsored by:

Jaguar paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 10:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 582 Likes on 435 Posts
Default Jaguar paint

Still impressed with the factory paint...14 years and counting
everybody always says wow....saw this reflection and thought i would share...how about any other members getting compliments on theirs

..happy holidays to all

The following 2 users liked this post by scottjh9:
joycesjag (12-10-2020), Silver Flyer (12-21-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:48 AM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

My top and clear coats are very shiny as well despite 18 years of Australian UV exposure.
The base coat however has started to split and it 'pulls' all the coats with it. A common situation with the crap water based paints all the manufactures changed over to a couple of decades ago.
Nothing you can do to 'repair' or 'correct' it other than go back to bare metal and start again or keep your car in the garage as much as possible.
The solvent based paints for sure had a longer life; still available to buy here but I'm not sure if legal in all markets..
Once it splits become obvious the cracks eventually appear in more places on the body.
Mine is Aspen Green and your white car may have a greater long term UV susceptibility.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Jag Paint

I noted that the color of your Jag is white. So is my 2005 Vanden Plas. White paint is heat reflective as most people know. This means that it doesn't get cooked by the sun like the dark colors do. Dark paint literally fries the clear coat.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:13 PM
Received 188 Likes on 138 Posts

Paint is a great Jag selling point. Mine is 20 years old and it looks brand new. This photo is recent. To protect it, I use a Mcquires 3 step polish and wax. 1. Swirl remover until it is baby butt smooth. 2. Glaze to seal it. 3. Mcguires Yellow Wax #26. NO car washes or brushes. Hand wash only.

ires Yellow Wax for a smooth finish.

The following 2 users liked this post by davidladewig:
Scotlad (12-12-2020), Silver Flyer (12-21-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 699 Posts

Looks like you're keeping it out of the sun under some kind of canopy and that makes all the difference in the world. Here in Texas, most of the Jaguars the age of yours that I spot on the road look like crap. But then most every car over ten years old here looks like crap. That's mostly because the average person has to park in the sun at work all day and under a tree in their driveway at night. Older Jaguars in particular depreciate very rapidly and usually by five to ten years old are found serving as mere cheap transportation for working class folks who have neither the inclination, nor the means to properly care for their car's paint. When you see one that looks nice, its because it belongs to an enthusiast who is taking greater than ordinary steps to care for it. Enjoy the compliments because I suspect Jaguar didn't earn them near as much as you did.

Old 12-13-2020, 02:34 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Same here - 16 years and counting - British Racing Green - perfect - like new - besides the stone chips... Very impressed with the paint...

The following users liked this post:
davidladewig (12-19-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:18 PM
jya
Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

From what I observed from the factory visit I did last year at Castle Bromwich in Birmingham the brand has a superior standard paint facility, no doubt about it.
Ford sure spent big on that plant in the near 20 years they owned this brand.

None of this however will save 20 years of damaging UV exposure from the Texan or Australian sun.
Doesn't matter how good the factory standard or how good the car brand.
The problem was from when they all ditched the solvent based paints and went to water based. The water based I am convinced does not have the same long term durability.
In the higher UV exposure areas of the world (here in Australia we have the highest amount of skin cancer rates in the world) and even in the moderate areas, if the car has enough UV exposure it will eventually break down all modern paints.
The top coat clear will still be very shiny and the colour coat will still have lots of 'micron' depth. Overall the car's paint will look good as well.
However on close inspection you will notice small, usually straight (starting at 2-4 mm) hairline cracks. Usually on the flanks of the body that see the most direct sun.
Once it gets to this point and it 'gives way' it's all over; the cracks will eventually get bigger and more numerous and also appear in more areas of the body.
Easy to notice this in the darker colours and a bit harder to see in lighter shades.
Only option is to go back to bare metal and if you're smart you will use a solvent based paint next time around.