S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2022 | 01:54 PM
|
Default Jaguar S-Type 3.0 V6 problems

hello i am new here and i ha a 2000 jaguar s type 3.0 V6 ..... from nathing arrive to my home at night ...the lights stop ,the thern light stop de passeger window dasnt wok the front clean glass dasnt work ... a after minuts start work ,then stops again .... and i have go to a workshop they say is te alterrnator .... chang ... nothing ... they say comand light ... nothing .... i say stop thats inaf and i go take the car from there ... can some one help me.

Old 08-26-2022 | 07:42 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forums allbertiinocarlos,

I've moved your question from Other Jaguar Models / Concepts / Replicas forum to S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 08-26-2022 | 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum.

How old is the battery? I would suggest having it tested. Any place that sells batteries will usually test for free.

If the battery tests okay, make sure it is fully charged. Don't rely on the alternator to have done so.

Next, I'd check the charging system. Connect a voltmeter to the battery posts and start the engine. On an early model, you should see about 13.75 volts.

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (08-26-2022)
Old 08-26-2022 | 09:07 AM

+1 on having the battery tested.

If there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) stored in the system, post them here.

Old 08-27-2022 | 06:34 AM
|

Originally Posted by allbertiinocarlos
hello i am new here and i ha a 2000 jaguar s type 3.0 V6 ..... from nathing arrive to my home at night ...the lights stop ,the thern light stop de passeger window dasnt wok the front clean glass dasnt work ... a after minuts start work ,then stops again .... and i have go to a workshop they say is te alterrnator .... chang ... nothing ... they say comand light ... nothing .... i say stop thats inaf and i go take the car from there ... can some one help me.
No one can help ?
I have change for a new batery but nothing every thing stop more time now .... no front lights right Window not open front clean glass dont work and turn lights do not work
And now start to the oil light now also comes on but it is at a good level

Old 08-27-2022 | 10:05 AM
Veteran Member

No one can help ?
We will be glad to help, but please understand it can be a very slow process.

I have change for a new battery
Okay, we understand the battery is new, and that is good. But have you checked the charging system? A new battery won't fix an electrical problem if the charging system is not working properly. It's very simple to check. Connect a voltmeter to the battery terminals. With the engine running, you should see approximately 13.7 volts. Please post the value that you find.

every thing stop more time now .... no front lights right Window not open front clean glass dont work and turn lights do not work...
Some of these faults may be a normal response to low system voltage (charging system not working properly). Not 100% sure about Jaguar, but I do know Fords of that era (parent company at the time) would go into a protective load-shedding mode if system voltage dropped too low. Non-essential items such as power windows, AC, radio, etc. would be automatically switched off to preserve limited remaining battery power to run the engine. Unfortunately, there was no annunciation of this happening, such as a message to warn you to pull over to safety before the engine quit. You'd just start getting multiple failures, all seemingly unrelated. The only way to know for sure is to check the charging system, as described above.

And now start to the oil light now also comes on but it is at a good level
Not sure what is happening here. The oil light illuminates for low pressure. It doesn't monitor oil level at all. If the oil level was too low, you'd eventually lose pressure but that's about the only connection, indirect at that.

Does the battery light ever illuminate? It should light up for a charging system problem, but is not foolproof.

Last edited by kr98664; 08-27-2022 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
allbertiinocarlos (08-27-2022)
Old 08-28-2022 | 06:19 AM
|

well I'm not going to turn on the oil light, because I think it all comes from the same problem.... before it worked and stopped working after a few minutes now it doesn't work at all lights the window hanger blinkers and windshield wipers.... car lights everything normal I changed the alternator in addition to the battery and nothing happened.

Old 08-28-2022 | 06:21 AM
|

Sorry car lights and every thing inthe back of de car work fine

Old 08-28-2022 | 06:25 AM
|

The eletrcal problem it simes is only the front of the car .

Old 08-28-2022 | 10:32 AM
Veteran Member

we'll I'm not going to turn on the oil light, because I think it all comes from the same problem....
I'm a bit lost here. Might be a translation problem. Not sure what you mean by "i'm not going to turn on the oil light". The light is controlled by an oil pressure switch. There's no manual input.

I changed the alternator in addition to the battery and nothing happened.
Okay, lots of new parts but have you actually tested the charging system? All we know is you’ve changed some parts. No confirmation that they are actually working.

Not even sure the charging system is at fault, but it's very important to check some simple basics. If not charging properly, the problem could be as simple as a bad fuse or damaged wire. Checking the voltage output will tell if the system is working properly.

Last edited by kr98664; 08-28-2022 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-28-2022 | 11:01 AM
Veteran Member

The eletrcal problem it simes is only the front of the car .
Not doubting you, but please check the system voltage at the battery with the engine running.

Even if the faults are related to a single control module (for the front of the car), that particular module could be the most sensitive to low voltage for various reasons.