S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S type How remove headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 03:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar S type How remove headliner?

Hi everyone.

I'm removing the headliner of my car and I have run in several problems.

Someone could tell me how to remove the A pillar?
I have no problem separating it from the chassis but I do not know how to remove it completely.

<br/>There is a tab that don't let me remove it.

<br/>There is a tab that don't let me remove it.

The other problem with which I found, are the headliner clips that fix it to the car roof. I know it has one in the back, in the center of the ceiling, near the glass. But I don't know the location of the rest.

I would greatly appreciate any advice.

My car is Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6 (2000)

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-13-2016, 06:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just did mine a couple of weeks ago for a 2002 S-type V6. The A-pillar I was able to basically hold it, stand it up push it forward towards the front of the car and wiggle it back and forth to come out - no special clips holding it in place. Try the other side and see if it is easier to come off and you can see the position of the clips.

I followed JTIS instructions and a couple of examples from this site -
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/i...removal-51396/
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...al-how-129199/

Things that I learned -
a) the map lights are clipped in very tight - work your way from the back first with a flat head screwdriver (I used a small metal pry bar for interiors) and push down, work your way around and slide it towards the front of the car. I didn't bother disconnecting all the three connectors I had I may have disconnected one and slid the entire map light up thru the hole in the headliner.

b)I had to take the top of Pillar B off (remove seatbelt cover and take off the nut holding the seatbelt) , left Pillar C on just pulled it loose. In my model I didn't have any special clips holding the headliner upto the roof - just the three pillars (no screws), the four handles (two screws each), two rearlights that are just pushed in thru the headliner, two visors(3 screws) and two brackets (1 screw) all the same Torx head. Had to pull on the visor wire to get to the connectors that were tucked way back for the visors to disconnect them. Had to separate all the wiring - was glued into the headliner. Headliner came out of back seat with a little bit of effort - had to fold it and coax it out carefully. BTW - I didn't have to take the seat out as shown in the second link I posted just had to lean the seat back all the way and slide it to the front.

c) I ran into issues with the first attempt at gluing the headliner - the first spray can I used was a 3M product for headliners - it worked too fast for me and the headliner stuck immediately with wrinkles that I couldn't pull off without the foam getting ripped off. I switched to a 3M 90 which was more forgiving (two cans) - laid the cloth down without stretching it and made sure it attached to all the curves of the headliner.

Good luck

Last edited by sjgh; 11-13-2016 at 06:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gor Akullian (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok!. Thank you for your advice.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I will be attempting to remove the A Pillar trim myself soon on the S-Type year 2000 I have bought. As in the picture, the covers on the Pillar look like Nora Batty's stockings (Sorry to the US guys for the local UK Pun).

Has anyone got a fix for the wrinkling? I was going to try a warm iron over it to see if it would re-attach and smooth out.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by MWMan
I will be attempting to remove the A Pillar trim myself soon on the S-Type year 2000 I have bought. As in the picture, the covers on the Pillar look like Nora Batty's stockings (Sorry to the US guys for the local UK Pun).

Has anyone got a fix for the wrinkling? I was going to try a warm iron over it to see if it would re-attach and smooth out.
Forget the iron. Your best bet is to use the spray contact cement made specifically for headliners. Pull the loose material away from the pillar without fully detaching it, then spray the pillar and the back of material with the cement and smoothly glide the material back onto the pillar. I used a flexible wide blade putty knife to make this job easier. It worked pretty well. Just don't overdo the glue as it can saturate through the material and ruin the look of it.

Before spraying the glue, I thoroughly taped off the window and door so as not to get any overspray where I didn't want it.

One of the forum gurus has done this job too, but he completely removed the pillars, then did the glue job. He said removing the pillars is a snap.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Many thanks. I will have a go at this. I'll probably try removing the A pillar trim first - if it comes off OK, it will make it a bit easier to work with.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Location: Pawleys Island, SC USA (formerly from Tabernacle, NJ USA)
Received 182 Likes on 158 Posts

I believe Clubairth1 was the JF member who removed the A-pillars. Look through his posts for more details on how to do it.

MWMan (12-11-2016)