S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S Type not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jaguar S Type not starting

Hi, I recently started having issued with my jaguar. It is a Jaguar S Type 3.0 year 2000. First the windows from both back doors stopped working they dont go down anymore only the driver and the passengers work. Also Everytime I unlock the door with the key it locks right back and it only unlocks the driver door and not the rest of the doors like it use to. So then that same day when i tried to go out again the car didnt start anymore, It makes the noise like it wants to turn on but it doesnt. I have tried disconnecting the battery but no luck. I cant re-charge it because the trunk will not open to see if thats the problem. Can anybody help me with this please ?
thanks in advance

Old 08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

Use your key to open the trunk. Try boosting the car with another known good battery.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

The keyhole should be located under the JAGUAR, not not visable unless you look up under it! Sounds like a battery problem to me.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM

for some reason the key doesnt work in the trunk. I bought it like that so the previous owner must have damaged it. Can the battery be a big factor in it? My boyfriend tried to take it out thru the inside by takin the seats down but he couldnt but if that can be the main issue i can tell him to try again?

Old 08-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Use a flashlite and look for the emergency pull if you get locked in the trunk. It is located on the trunk itself on the passenger side, atleast the 2005's have one.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:21 PM

i think it should. I will try that today after work hopefully it works. thanks i will repost to see what happened

Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

A battery? I would look at the alternator at the same time. Take it and the battery out and take them to Pep Boys. They will check them both for free and you replace as needed.

Old 08-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

We virtually never replace alternators. Spray the trunk lock with lube up inside it. They jam alot cause no one ever uses the locks anymore, so they freeze up from lack of use

Old 08-11-2010, 07:48 PM

so i took the battery to get checked and they said it was a good battery and that it needed just a lil charge so we put the battery back in and the car started but just once. we turned off the car and tried to restart it and it doesnt start no more. any other suggestions ?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

You'll have to be more specific. Does the motor turn over (crank) with the key. but not start?

Old 08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

You say that the car makes a noise but does not start. What kind of noise does it make, clicking, grinding? As for the key not opening the trunk, if it is the green key it is the valet key you are using it will not unlock the trunk use the black key. The hole is under the Jaguar plate above the license plate. You say the battery tested good and was charged and started the car once but not again. If that is the case how long was it between then and the second time you attempted to start it again?

I THINK YOU NEED TO CHECK THE HIGH VOLTAGE FUSE BOX THAT IS LOCATED NEXT TO THE BATTERY. The lead from the battery goes directly to it. It has a total of 3 fuses! This is high voltage and should be handled with caution. Examine the fuses with the battery terminal removed from the battery. We found several blocks were broken when the tire was removed or installed in the trunk causing the fuses to become loose and broken resulting in no start.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Unhappy

the car does crank but it just doesnt start i have a black key only im not sure if its a copy but thats the one i have since i purchased the car and i also dont have the remote either. i still cant get the trunk to open i have tried pullin the emergency lever from the inside and still wont open any other suggestions on how i can get it opened ?

after i put in the battery earlier today it did start but it seemed liek it wasnt getting enought gas i let it run for about 5 minutes and turned it off and maybe like 1 minute later tried turning it on again and once again it didint start on me i dont know what to do im going to have some one look at the fuses in the trunk tomorrow hopefully its that

Old 08-11-2010, 11:00 PM

I just tried it again and still doesnt turn on just cranks. but also when i have the key in and the hood open ders like a buzzing noise and also when i unlock the door and it unlocks itself the front lights blink twice. just posting more info maybe this has something to do wit it ?

thanks everyone thats helpin me by the way i appreciate it

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If it's cranking, but there's no fire, then check the coil fuse in the engine compartment. In fact, from the sounds of things, you should check every fuse you can get to.

Have you tried pushing the trunk button in the glovebox? Followed by trying the regular boot release.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Still sounds like a battery, who checked it?
The heat in PHX right now spells death for dodgy batteries.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:34 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

From what I am reading it sounds like you got to the battery. Did it test good and were you able to charge it? You say it will not turn on just cranks. Do you have a check eng light? If you did you get the codes?

Old 08-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BRUTAL
We virtually never replace alternators. Spray the trunk lock with lube up inside it. They jam alot cause no one ever uses the locks anymore, so they freeze up from lack of use
Just something that I do whenever there are battery problems.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Run a fuel pressure test. By that i meen you can do it. Locate the schrader valve on the fuel rail(someone get a pic for her, and v8 or v6?) turn the key to the on position and depress the fuel rail shraeder valve, if only a little fuel dribbles out or none, you have a fuel pump issue. It should squirt up a couple inches. Or you can take out the back seat bottom cushion and access the pump under the black cover on the passenger side. If the pump hums when you turn on the key then move to something else. But my money is a fuel pump issue based on you descriptions....check the fuse for the fuel pump in the trunk fuse box, i dont remember the 1 but check em all. If its blown its not a fuse problem its the pump pulling too many amps and or internally shorted. Replace the pump and the fuse.
Also the button is the glove box does not open the truck, thats the valet button and if its pushed in you wont get in the truck without remote or key. Otherwords you disable the dash switch and trunk lid switch for valet...
And enthusiast. Test the alt can be done on the car after started, its way to much hassle to pull off just to bench test

Old 08-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

You're right. Huh. Well, you learn something new everyday. I always took the suckers off to see how well they performed.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Please tell us what you find / cause?

Quick Reply: Jaguar S Type not starting