Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S Type not starting

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

If I had to make a recommendation it would be to get the trunk open first. Then you can check fuses and the high voltage fuses in the trunk that feeds the fuse box that feeds the engine management system. As suggested fuel and spark make the car run! If one is missing it will not run! My priority would be to get the trunk open then check fuses, fuel and spark. At this point you are chasing the rabbit.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

Er... you mean high current, I reckon

Old 08-18-2010, 06:40 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Yes you are correct. My error.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:00 AM
Veteran Member

(We've all done it!) Your plan looks good, I'd be doing it

Old 08-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets say it has something to do with the fuel, the pump, injector or something like that.would that mess up some parts of the electric like the trunk and back windows ?

I will try that someone is coming this friday to see if they can open the trunk and im going to jump start the battery, check the fuses, and then the fuel. thanks

Old 08-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Would a weak battery turn the starter motor normally? I think not...unless it is turning over slower than normal, I would guess it is not the battery. Could be a fuse...but I`m betting it`s fuel pressure as Brutal said.

Also, when the battery was recharged, then connected, the car started. How long was it kept running before stopping and trying to restart? If it was working for a few minutes, with occasional blips of throttle, then it surely could not have been fuel pressure, could it? It would die, or at least stutter with insufficient pressure, would it not? If it was only 3 or 4 seconds, there would not have been time for that to show.

DF

Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My head is spinning reading all of these thoughts on how to fix. My questions would be are you sure first, and I know it was probably checked, but you did explain what type of car you have for the battery you were bringing in to the places you took it right? And correct me if I'm wrong but did you state anywhere in the thread what type of battery you have now. If Interstate, it should give you some numbers on it that show how old it is. Also, that battery is very heavy because I have one and how the heck where you able to get it back into the car those several times you seemed to do it through the back seat? Was Arnold Schwartzenager helping you? You have to be very small to get to the battery without the trunk open. Pulling the large mat trunk bottom up to get at the battery would be a big pain considering the size of it. And not easy installing the battery back into position even with the trunk open! On the key entry from the back, spray it up with WD 40, that thing is an issue if not used much.
Also sounds like you are on the road to getting some needed service on the car, hopefully not to much, but I can understand the other members all trying to help but seems like you might have a few issues here besides the battery. And if you put the battery back in after removing it, it takes a couple of runs just to get it back into reading everything correctly and running smoothly. When replacing my battery, the first time I ran the car was a little rough but after a few starts was fine. Rick (JoyceJag) suggested get a new battery to me and it was needed. They cost around 130 to 150 but worth every penny. That car needs a lot of power and a new battery every 3 years I feel is a necessity.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 20,887 Likes on 8,399 Posts

If the op has the type of battery where the cells can be individually checked, it should be done. Just because someone said it was ok doesn't make it necessarily so. The only way (IMHO) is to check each cell with a hydrometer to see the sp. gravity.
I had this happen to me long ago. The multimeter said it was ok, but a hydrometer found a bad cell.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayt2
The multimeter said it was ok, but a hydrometer found a bad cell.

B I N G O

hands Jay a cigar!

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar S Type not starting-winner.jpg  
Old 08-19-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by dfrois
would a weak battery turn the starter motor normally? I think not...unless it is turning over slower than normal, i would guess it is not the battery. Could be a fuse...but i`m betting it`s fuel pressure as brutal said.

Also, when the battery was recharged, then connected, the car started. How long was it kept running before stopping and trying to restart? If it was working for a few minutes, with occasional blips of throttle, then it surely could not have been fuel pressure, could it? It would die, or at least stutter with insufficient pressure, would it not? If it was only 3 or 4 seconds, there would not have been time for that to show.

Df
fuel pumps vary on how they go out. Most of the time, they out and thats it. Other times the car may die driving, get towed and then restart later without issue. Only to do it again at a later time. Now you have a choice. Keep driving till it goes out for good, have a fuel pressure tester hooked when driving taped to the windshield and "catch it dropping fuel pressure" when it dies. Or replace it.
I had a customer with an stype recently do this exact thing. And i told her i felt from experiance that it was the pump but its an expensive educated guess. She chose to wait even though towed 2 times (but she has aaa) then it dies at her house and yep no fuel pressure, 1 fuel pump later and never an issue again

Old 08-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 20,887 Likes on 8,399 Posts

Originally Posted by joycesjag
B I N G O

hands Jay a cigar!

Thank you kind sir.
Now to push my luck even further. The winter months are nigh upon us and for those who live in the cooler climes might want to get one of those doo-dads to check your batteries now, or in a month or so, for strength to get you thru the coming cold.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I still say get the trunk open. I hope this helps.

Sorry, I was in a rush and forgot to say that this is the way you check the fuel pressure and the connection to the fuel rail. Just remember that you will not get pressure until you turn the key on and power is enabled to the fuel pump. A pressure gauge is often available from AutoZone and many other local auto parts places.

Attached Thumbnails Jaguar S Type not starting-img_0412aw.jpg   Jaguar S Type not starting-img_0416aw.jpg  

Last edited by Gus; 08-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:04 PM

okay so we found out whats going on .. its not passing gas.. any one knows which fuse in the trunk is associated with the fuel pump? and also the ones in the front?

thanks for all da help

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Just follow the forum sticky and download the handbook appropriate for your car then look up the fuses.

Old 08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Received 2,191 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ms_sanchez
okay so we found out whats going on .. Its not passing gas.. Any one knows which fuse in the trunk is associated with the fuel pump? And also the ones in the front?

Thanks for all da help
even if the pump fuse is bad, its the pump that popped thefuse from either too many amps pulled, (bad pump), or short to ground in the pump (bad pump) it is common forthe fuse to blow, put a new pump in it. Its accessable by pulling the rear seat bottom out and the pump is on the passenger side. Dont make the mistakee of putting a new fuse in and thinking you ok if it starts and runs. Itll do it again and leave you stranded

Old 08-30-2010, 01:36 AM

ok thanks for every ones help i am goin to try that buy a new fuel pump and new fuses , does any one have a picture of the actual fuel pump tho becuase the mechanic that came over the other day told me it can also be some kind of shortage in the electrical system i dont want to pay more then what is worth how much is the average fuel pump for a jaguar

Old 08-30-2010, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

I think you've been told already the workshop manual is on ebay for $10 or so.