S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S type R Dependable Transportation????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

yes yes yes, make sure the warranty covers the main problem areas. Also tires are unrotatable, and also brakes can be expensive. Other than that, most of the problem areas have been addressed here on this board here. I am getting my torque converter replaced on mine as we speak, which the warranty covers, it was over 3000 dollar repair.

check to make sure your warranty will cover the problem areas, and go get it man!!!

Old 06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Veteran Member

plus remember, what are there like 1500 of these cars total??? its a rare vehicle that not many suspect is supercharged either. i did look at a 2005 one for 23999 +3g for the warranty. It had 26k miles on it. I couldn't justify spending that much when i got the 03 with 25k miles on it for 10g less with a warranty. I think i was a rare case that happened to find a really good deal when i did.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,560 Likes on 3,965 Posts

There aren't enough of them for anyone really to know how reliable they are.

But in any case, you're buying just one car and so it's that specific car you'd be taking a chance on. As you know, with any single car you can be unlucky or lucky.

If you're worried, go with a high-volume car with the very best reliability record.

Of course, that would rule out all the world's most interesting cars

I crossed my fingers and got an STR as I didn't want a high-volume but rather uninteresting car

Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are getting a CPO Jaguar with the Jaguar select warranty I would say $21-23K is a pretty decent price, but would look the car over from top to bottom. If the car is not in perfect cosmetic conditon you should be able to get them down into the $20K flat realm. Also go by autozone before you go to look at the car and buy a tire wear gauge and check inside/outside tire wear at all four corners. These tires can't be rotated so if even one is wearing poorly bargain to get either both front or both rears replaced. check the brakes thoroughly, if there is any kind of ridge on the disc bargain for better price or replacement.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Wink

No. Buy a Honda...

Old 06-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull the trigger, the rarity, performance and bank for the buck on these vehicles is second to none.

You will have a smile on your face every time you accelerate. I promise.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:27 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Jaguar's certified program, "Select Edition", is a pretty good warranty. It covers all the major mechanical and electrical components. In a nutshell, it doesn't cover wear items, like bushings, and it doesn't cover trim items, like interior trim. As far as the car itself goes, they are actually very well built and engineered cars. That said, they are also very complicated internally despite their "uncomplicated" appearance. But that is the nature of any high end car, no matter who made it. The R cars are even more complicated due to the fact that they are very "high strung". The 4.2 V8 on the other hand is one of Jaguar's best engines ever, and yes the V8 is a Jaguar design. The V6's are of Ford origin. Considering the price difference between the base car and the R, the price you listed seems pretty good for an 05 with that mileage, including the certification. Be sure to have the car gone over. Check the inservice date as well, it may still be covered under the factory warranty. That way, even if there are some flaws, you can get everything fixed under the original bumper to bumper warranty. Also, I find that my dealer is real good at working with me. It may be that they are just that good or it just may be that I also bought the car from them. Finally, if you are looking to finance, check into Jaguar finance. I understand they are promoting 3.9APR financing for Select Edition cars again. They had that deal when I got mine. That alone will save you thousands over the term.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 AM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by Bull27
Pull the trigger, the rarity, performance and bank for the buck on these vehicles is second to none.

You will have a smile on your face every time you accelerate. I promise.
Oh yea... and go for it. My only regret is getting the 6 and not the 8. Many smiles per mile...

Old 06-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

I got my 2005 R with 33K miles for $19K-last December. I think you can do better on the price. Mine is a daily driver and has had only minor problems.I am VERY picky about my cars. I wanted one with some factory warranty left to get it in the condition I want. I have found most people are pretty clueless about cars. The Jag is just an ego purchase. I am a car nut and buy certain models of cars. I really don't care who the manufacturer is!! Such as SHO, M5, S Type R, CTS-V, R8/S8, G8, Lincoln LS. I am still deciding if I should buy an extended warranty. The car has a very good rating from new by J.D.Powers and Jaguar has come many miles in the quality game. This car is a screaming deal when you compare the price to performance and just what you get for your money!!

Problems in the last 8K miles. Reflash the transmission software. Look up "The Lurch". New hood pad, new headliner, new ash tray,replace the "R" emblem on passenger side-Peeling. Mechanically, the supercharger belt and tensioner. Additive to the P/S for the squeaking sound. Drivers seat lumbar support not holding air and was replaced.
I also had the Brembo brake shudder but ignored the stupid advice of the dealer and simply had the front rotors turned and got rid of the shudder. The brakes are hugely expesive and the cheapest I have found the front rotors is about $500/pair!! Try the Akebono ceramic brake pads to get rid of the brake dust. The factory pads dust terrible!

I try to do my own maintance. I have changed oil,flushed the brake fluid and changed the coolant. I consider these items to be normal for any car I own. I have added factory chrome wheels and am trying to add the Bluetooth and ACM options.

2005 was the first year for Bluetooth option. Try to find a car with this, it is a Great option!!. It will have a small microphone on the roof close to the sunroof console.
Keep doing research! There is a list of known problems but by 2005 most have been fixed. I would avoid the 2003 model if possible. They are the cheapest but you will find more trouble. Look here for some known problems.

http://www.styperregistry.com/ServiceInfo.htm

I purchased my car from these guys and do recommend them. Wholesale to the public and the cars are in great shape!!

http://www.texascarsdirect.com/Publi...blicFrame.html

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Problems in the last 8K miles. Reflash the transmission software. Look up "The Lurch".

Does the dealer charge you to do a reflash? Did it run alot smoother afterwards? I am out of factory warranty and am curious. If so, how much?

Old 06-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts

Still under warranty. So no charge. Yes it helped a lot! I have found the car to like the transmission to be in "Sport" mode better. I really like how that ZF transmission will hold gears and provide engine braking. It seems to work pretty well!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Veteran member

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Still under warranty. So no charge. Yes it helped a lot! I have found the car to like the transmission to be in "Sport" mode better. I really like how that ZF transmission will hold gears and provide engine braking. It seems to work pretty well!
Ahh, another one. I was starting to think it was just me. When I keep the trans in sport it doesn't seem so "confused". Runs better. Just remember that when you leave it in sport on the highway, it will stay in 5th and not shift up to 6th.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JOsworth
Just remember that when you leave it in sport on the highway, it will stay in 5th and not shift up to 6th.
it does eventually, well on mine it did, but it took a good while

Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer told me, the ZF can eliminate the 6th gear in Sport mode if you drive it hard enough.

I can say that mine is a reliable form of daily transportation and i would not hessitate to buy this car again or recommend it to someone.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Worth Every Penny

I completely agree with what everyone else has been saying. Very distinct car that turns heads everywhere it goes, especially with a fresh coat of wax!

22995 seems a little high for a 2005 with 36k miles; I purchased my 2005 R in January with 32k for 22900. It included the CPO warranty, new brakes, new tires and a new battery, so it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

Concerning Sport mode, I too cannot drive the car any other way. It seems more jumpy and unsure of itself in normal mode. To get into 6th on the highway, I found hitting the cruise control will kick it down the easiest.

Bottom line, aim for 20000 as that seems to be quite reasonable for the mileage to price ratio, or see if you can get them to throw in some freebie maintenance fixes.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by grayghost01gt
Hey guys, I have got a deal that I am wondering is good or not? Its a 2005 Jaguar S type R 36k miles and its a certified pre owned which gives me the extra warrenty. Their Asking price is 22,995 it has the Nav and it is silver in color. If I was to purchase this car, what kind of price range should I shoot for or is this a good price? And last thing are the 2005-08 S Type R's good running cars that could last me for couple years dont want a headache. Thanks guys, any help is apperciated!!!

Any update on this Gray ghost???