S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S type R general performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Jaguar S type R general performance questions

Hi guys. I currently have an s type 4.0 and am thinking about upgrading to the type r and selling my current car. I'm very familiar with supercharged cars and will probably upgrade the car a bit once I get it. I was thinking of the pullies, blower porting, exhaust, alky injection and a tune. Basically about $3500 worth the work with me doing the install.

Anyhow onto the questions:
1. does the car have a boost guage stock?
2. is the fuel system a returnless, or does it have a return line?
3. what fuel pump or pumps does the car use? Does it use a dual setup? How much hp is the stock setup good until?
4. when you send it off to be tuned, do they just give you an off the shelf tune or if you tell them what you're looking for, can they do that? More specifically, I can get away with and run a little more timing while the alky injection is on, or I can leave it similar to stock for added insurance.
5. will the stock o2's correct the tune for the added fuel I'm adding with the alky injection?
6. I've heard a few exhausts on youtube. I've heard the mina gallery, magnaflow and milltek. Anyone use anything different? Have any sound clips? I like my exhausts pretty rowdy sounding.

thanks for all the info in advance!

Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

1. not that you can just stare at
2. returnless
3. dual but I think one feeds the other - get JTIS and it has details; no idea about the hp but I don't recall people saying they'd had to change them (see old threads)
4. no idea
5. closed loop as with all cars (by law) now, so if they see O2 you can predict what happens next
(but that's "O2 after combustion", of course, so think it through)
6. old threads, I suspect

Old 02-02-2010, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1. You can add a guage w/ a A/F guage as well to monitor it, but I have yet to figure out where is a great spot for the 2 gauges in the car and not make it look RICE
3. Jagv8 is correct, but you can and a inline fuerl pump and a KB BAP to add teh extra fuel as that is what I will be doing
4. The tunes are off the shelf tunes but Eurotoys told me they have 2 tuners one for off the shelf and one for different mods per car, but it will never be as good a s a dyno tune, but GOOD LUCK on finding someone to do it.....as there is no one state side I found upon my search!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

1 It has a pressure meter which you can read with a good tool (ie WDS/IDS/Autoenginuity and maybe more).
2 Returnless
3 Dual, and for the STR with Twin Screw and normal fuel it can easily do 420 rwhp and with the richness I measured it can do easily 450 rwhp (with 17% drive train loss 542 BHP). With the standard Eaton supercharger less, as it consumes more power from the engine and the mixture can needs to be richer costing power. Not sure if you can boost the fuel pumps, the ECU measures the current flow and would flag an error if there is an anomaly, so I would suggest to investigate this (if needed).
4 Sending is of course off the shelf, better to do a custom tune when are ready with your full setup.
5 Yes and no. It will have an effect when running with alky in closed loop, in open loop (full throttle) the O2 sensors are not used. But the long term fuel trim will be set during closed loop, and this will be used when you go in open loop (full throttle).

Good luck

Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

1. I'm guessing that's the MAP and yes you can read it (but it's not shown on the dash or the like)
5. sorry, I forgot about WOT!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 PM

thanks guys. The main point of asking this question is to get an idea of what I'm dealing with here and if my goals are realistic. It think it seems doable.

I'll probably run an innovate wideband on the car with a data recorder to track the fueling and boost levels. I'll pickup the boost off the map sensor. That's what I currently use on my vette and it's worked out fine.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

There are 2 pressure sensors, one is in the intake elbow before the supercharger, and is used to measure the vacuum and is called the MAP, and the other one I was referring to is on the intercoolers, so after the supercharger, not sure how that one is named.

Just one note I forgot to add regarding adding fuel pressure (if needed at all). The ECU will monitor the air pressure after the supercharger, and ensures the fuel pressure is in balance with that. This makes it all difficult to play with fuel pressure with devices liek a BAP. I mean you could fake the pressure as being lower, so the ECU will up the fuel pressure to avoid other devices, but then again what effect will that have…

The Stype already uses a wideband O2 sensor (the upper one), and you can use the values to calculate the ATF mixture. Only problem is that you need a WDS/IDS to be able to read the values.

Have fun with your project, and the best tip I can give is to first ensure your car is already in tip top shape, and make a good base dyno, this way you will know if all is ok before you start tuning.

Have fun!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

You can read the WB O2s with a cheap OBD lead such as an ELM327 if that helps. The free open source code works fine (Windows or Linux).

The WBs are on the 2002/3 facelift and on; before that all the O2s were the older type, which are still on the rear (downstream).

You can of course read the MAP, too.

Last edited by JagV8; 02-02-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

The supercharged Stype has the AJ33 engine, that uses the wideband upper sensor. Didn’t know that the AJ28 engine (NA 4.0 stype) doesn’t have the wide bond upper sensors as this was already used before 2000 on the AJ27 engine from other models.

The trouble with reading the wideband o2 sensors with standard OBDII readers (even the autoenginuity) is that they do not provide data when in closed loop. As soon as you go into open loop the values will freeze. The only way to get to read the values in open mode (WOT) where you need it is via the WDS or IDS.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

I think the STR is the AJ34S engine.

I've read the WB O2s in closed loop on my 2004 STR and they do not freeze. Why do you say that they do?

I doubt I've recorded any data in open loop as it doesn't last long and to me isn't really of interest but again why would they freeze?

Anything WDS/IDS/etc can do can also be done with even ELM327 but you'd need to find the codes being sent (service # and PIDs etc). Not impossible but how useful?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:21 PM

good info. Keep it going!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Veteran Member

The 4.2 stype started with the AJ33.

Meant of course open loop, it is there (in wot), where you as a tuner want to know the mixture. Why standard obdii readers do not get any data anymore I don't know.
Was even surprised that the autoenginuity wasn't able to get data.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Veteran Member

I'm struggling with what you and wikipedia say. Please explain differences AJ33 and AJ34.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_AJ-V8_engine

Last edited by JagV8; 02-03-2010 at 05:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

avos said:
There are 2 pressure sensors, one is in the intake elbow before the supercharger, and is used to measure the vacuum and is called the MAP, and the other one I was referring to is on the intercoolers, so after the supercharger, not sure how that one is named.
I can't find the second one! There's a second IAT, if you meant that?

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

The 4.2 engine started off as model AJ33, but I can't remember when that switched to AJ34. Nor what precise the differences are. I guess they are small, i.e. could be different oil pump, slightly different casting or whatever. There are no major differences as far as I know. When I have time this weekend I can check if I have more details.

The secondary air temp sensor which is located on the right bank intercooler, also has a pressure function to it. You can take it out and see what I mean. The WDS has 2 manifold pressure pids , and the one integrated with the IAT2 sensor could be PID 1244.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks. I don't know the engines as well as you so any new info is good.

Do you have a list of PIDs (and similar) by any chance? They'd be handy for cross-referencing

Old 02-04-2010, 11:31 AM

here's a few more questions:

- the car has knock sensors. Anyone know how much timing they can pull once knock is sensed?
-how does the afr look from the factory on these cars? I believe that oftentimes they leave the factory pretty rich.

Also, I wouldn't trust wikepedia. Anyone can go in there and add stuff.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member

You may believe they leave the factory like that but what evidence do you have?

I don't trust much but wikipedia's far more reliable than most sources. What better one would you use?

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM

to clarify, I should have said "factory supercharged vehicles" rather than this one specifically.

In regards to wikepedia, I just meant don't trust it 100% if you don't have to. Its usually reliable, but not always. As for a better source, no clue.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member

OK, SC ones, but what evidence do you have? You do know that their mpg is the same as the NA? So running rich looks rather hard to substantiate!

Quick Reply: Jaguar S type R general performance questions