Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S Type R Power Loss and Faults, Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jaguar S Type R Power Loss and Faults, Help

Hello,
I’ve got some problems with my Jaguar str.
i was driving and in one moment I’ve got power loss and all the kinds of faults , check engine, engine fault, park fault, esp, and so on.
car was driving very slowly, like 10 miles and hour.
i opened the hood and noticed that my intake got hole in it, but I’ve already bought a new intake from caldoofy , so I’ve put it on, and everything was ok for one day. But the next day same problem occurred, same faults on dash, I’ve checked the intake and it was totally fine. I’ve plugged computer to make diagnostic, and the following error codes occurred :
p2135 , p1582, p0171, p1000. There were some more, but others faults to park break and abs.
Please need some help, maybe someone knows what can be the problem.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Suspect #1 by far is the battery!

Usually starts the car but weird things happen.

The following users liked this post:
kr98664 (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,080 Likes on 1,470 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
Suspect #1 by far is the battery!

Usually starts the car but weird things happen.

Doh, you beat me to it by mere minutes! I should have held off making my morning coffee.

A little more background may help, too. I take it this Is a new problem out of the blue? Any other recent issues, such as a recurring parking brake fault? Any recent work or repairs?

The first thing I'd check is the charging system. On a 2003+ car, you should see around 14.5v for the first few minutes after start, slowly settling down around 13.5v. I wonder if the charging system is not up to snuff, and the battery is being depleted as you drive.

That's when all sorts of strange thing occur. The various onboard computers are smart enough to shut down non-essential functions (electronic parking brake, for example?) to preserve battery power to keep the engine running. Unfortunately, as smart as the computer system may be, it's also simultaneously dumb enough not to display a message to alert you about this protective mode. The only indication you'll get is the little red battery symbol, which isn't always reliable.

Old 09-29-2019, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kr98664
Doh, you beat me to it by mere minutes! I should have held off making my morning coffee.

A little more background may help, too. I take it this Is a new problem out of the blue? Any other recent issues, such as a recurring parking brake fault? Any recent work or repairs?

The first thing I'd check is the charging system. On a 2003+ car, you should see around 14.5v for the first few minutes after start, slowly settling down around 13.5v. I wonder if the charging system is not up to snuff, and the battery is being depleted as you drive.

That's when all sorts of strange thing occur. The various onboard computers are smart enough to shut down non-essential functions (electronic parking brake, for example?) to preserve battery power to keep the engine running. Unfortunately, as smart as the computer system may be, it's also simultaneously dumb enough not to display a message to alert you about this protective mode. The only indication you'll get is the little red battery symbol, which isn't always reliable.

I’ll check tomorrow battery and charge.
park break fault, engine fault, DSC fault, cruise fault occurs.

the RPM doesn’t go more then around 1500.
The car goes very slowly with no acceleration.

Old 09-29-2019, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 464 Posts

When i put my mina intake on i had the same lean code......ended up being an unmetered air leak after the maf sensor.....found it by spraying all intake hose connections with soapy water....the silicone hoses take alot to tighten down....bought new hose clamps and it fixed it......it ended up being the hose connection to the oval supercharger inlet

kr98664 (09-29-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DepchikSTR
i was driving and in one moment I’ve got power loss and all the kinds of faults , check engine, engine fault, park fault, esp, and so on.
The P2135 code is a fairly rare fault. I searched the entire forum (not just the S-Type) in case other models from the same era shared the same components and control logic. Can't guarantee this is applicable to your car, but the symptoms match:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-209761/

I'd still suggest checking the battery and charging system, too. Forgive me as I get up on my soapbox, but I forgot to mention something. Before starting any electrical troubleshooting, make sure to fully charge the battery. Use a charger with at least a ten amp output. A trickle charger won't cut it.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

It's also a code that changed meaning over the years and we don't know the car MY!

(Can be APP/TPS)

Old 09-30-2019, 03:20 AM

It's also a code that changed meaning over the years and we don't know the car MY!

(Can be APP/TPS)

Old 09-30-2019, 03:20 AM

The P2135 code is a fairly rare fault. I searched the entire forum (not just the S-Type) in case other models from the same era shared the same components and control logic. Can't guarantee this is applicable to your car, but the symptoms match:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-fault-209761/

I'd still suggest checking the battery and charging system, too. Forgive me as I get up on my soapbox, but I forgot to mention something. Before starting any electrical troubleshooting, make sure to fully charge the battery. Use a charger with at least a ten amp output. A trickle charger won't cut it.

ive checked the charging, it’s 14.3

kr98664 (09-30-2019)
Old 09-30-2019, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Check inside the throttle position sensor (TPS) Plug for water ingress, or corrosion.
The STR Is known to get water in there. It causes a similar/identical chain of events and codes.
Mine has done this.
there is a TSB for this issue. And a patch Fitted. But these patches become detached.

Old 09-30-2019, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Datsports
Check inside the throttle position sensor (TPS) Plug for water ingress, or corrosion.
The STR Is known to get water in there. It causes a similar/identical chain of events and codes.
Mine has done this.
there is a TSB for this issue. And a patch Fitted. But these patches become detached.
I’ve checked it now, looks clean, without corrosion

Old 09-30-2019, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Then you need to persist with battery checks . You need a load tester to see What is the cca of the battery compared to when it was new .
and standing voltage .

Old 10-01-2019, 01:58 PM

Tomorrow I’ll try to change throttle sensor.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:31 AM

Throttle sensor change didn’t help
the car was standing for few days afterwards, when I tried it again everything was fine. Have no idea what’s the problem.

Old 10-03-2019, 05:40 AM

Now I have those Erros on ECM
p1582
p0171
p0174
p1000

what can cause that?

Old 10-03-2019, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Work on the P0171/4 - common and lots of existing threads you can read.

If you haven't looked up all those codes then do so - get the free downloads from here and JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 10-05-2019, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Work on the P0171/4
Those are very common codes, typically caused by a vacuum leak between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Here's a good primer on how to use fuel trims to troubleshoot such leaks:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I also suspect you have a second issue at play, due to some of the voltage-related codes you mentioned here and in your other thread. You had mentioned checking the system voltage with the engine running, and it passed. Can't remember if I suggested monitoring the prestart voltage, as that is equally important. These cars are very sensitive to low prestart voltage, and various computer modules will act up, even though the battery seems to have enough oomph to power the starter. Two things you can do to confirm this:

1) Before starting the engine, turn on the headlights for one minute and then turn them off. This removes the surface charge from the battery. Next, read the battery voltage. If not 12.6V or above (A VERY high standard), you may experience random fault codes that make no sense. You'd think low prestart voltage wouldn't matter, but forum experience suggests otherwise.

2) Try hooking up a battery charger every night for a week or so. I understand, it's a nuisance. But this makes sure your battery is fully charged just before each start. If the car now behaves, then you'll know that low prestart voltage was part of the problem. This may not necessarily be just a bad/weak battery, but it could be something slowly draining the battery overnight. But try the battery charger routine for a week and see if there is any improvement. Doesn't cost a thing, just some of your time.

Last edited by kr98664; 10-05-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-05-2019, 03:27 PM

Those are very common codes, typically caused by a vacuum leak between the MAF sensor and the throttle body. Here's a good primer on how to use fuel trims to troubleshoot such leaks:

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

I also suspect you have a second issue at play, due to some of the voltage-related codes you mentioned here and in your other thread. You had mentioned checking the system voltage with the engine running, and it passed. Can't remember if I suggested monitoring the prestart voltage, as that is equally important. These cars are very sensitive to low prestart voltage, and various computer modules will act up, even though the battery seems to have enough oomph to power the starter. Two things you can do to confirm this:

1) Before starting the engine, turn on the headlights for one minute and then turn them off. This removes the surface charge from the battery. Next, read the battery voltage. If not 12.6V or above (A VERY high standard), you may experience random fault codes that make no sense. You'd think low prestart voltage wouldn't matter, but forum experience suggests otherwise.

2) Try hooking up a battery charger every night for a week or so. I understand, it's a nuisance. But this makes sure your battery is fully charged just before each start. If the car now behaves, then you'll know that low prestart voltage was part of the problem. This may not necessarily be just a bad/weak battery, but it could be something slowly draining the battery overnight. But try the battery charger routine for a week and see if there is any improvement. Doesn't cost a thing, just some of your time.

I’ll try to check the battery the way you wrote.

about the leak, you are right, there is leak for sure. I can even hear it, but I can’t find. Tomorrow again I will look to find where it is. It is hat to find , because leak is on intaking air somewhere, it sucks air, so soap water doesn’t help.

Old 10-05-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by DepchikSTR
I’ll try to check the battery the way you wrote.

about the leak, you are right, there is leak for sure. I can even hear it, but I can’t find. Tomorrow again I will look to find where it is. It is hat to find , because leak is on intaking air somewhere, it sucks air, so soap water doesn’t help.
Can you tell if it is in the main intake going into the supercharger inlet or not.....put the clamps as close as you can to the ends of the intake hoses.... sometimes they will strip beFore they completely tighten....i had to use heavy duty band clamps....if you bought the new intake from caldoofy, pm him, he may have a suggestion

Old 10-06-2019, 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by scottjh9
Can you tell if it is in the main intake going into the supercharger inlet or not.....put the clamps as close as you can to the ends of the intake hoses.... sometimes they will strip beFore they completely tighten....i had to use heavy duty band clamps....if you bought the new intake from caldoofy, pm him, he may have a suggestion
yes it is new intake from caldoofy, but it doesn’t look like the leak is there, I’ve checked new intake few times.

Quick Reply: Jaguar S Type R Power Loss and Faults, Help