S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

76 owners now signed up vs. 96 for the X-Type. Three model years of the latter now in the survey. Would like to do the same for the S-Type.

Car reliability research

Old 01-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,535 Likes on 3,944 Posts

JD Power already did a survey. Please go away.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
JD Power already did a survey. Please go away.
And how detailed was the information they provided to you? A bunch of dots, no numbers to actually tell you how the S-Type compares, and covering only the third model year.

Following your logic, we'd have no need for a hamburger anywhere but McDonalds.

The 2003 remains just a few owners short of the minimum.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

You appear to be saying you will do better. Why should we believe you? Also, why don't you provide what you have now?

Old 02-09-2010, 09:45 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

mkaresh-

It appears that you are connected to a commercial entity and that you are shilling for them.

If you wish to use this bulletin board to further these commercial interests, why not offer to host a section. That way your messages will be in one place and folks can ignore them, and you, if they wish.

If you are not going to confine yourself to personal messages, please go away. You may not realize this but you fit the very definition of spam.....unsolicited messages of a commercial nature.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by jagv8
You appear to be saying you will do better. Why should we believe you? Also, why don't you provide what you have now?
I already provide results for many other cars, just not this one--because there aren't enough owners signed up yet.

You can view the results we have here:

Car Reliability Survey results

Old 02-09-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Toller
mkaresh-

It appears that you are connected to a commercial entity and that you are shilling for them.
I've made it quite clear that I own and operate the site. There's no larger "commercial entity," mostly just me. I've been working 70+ hours a week for the past few years, and then giving the results away for free to everyone who participates. I've had the support and approval to post these threads from mods at this forum.

Often we have a great response from owners, and we provide helpful information to everyone who needs it.

In some cases, though, a few people who think they speak for everyone (because only their opinion counts?) feel compelled to make a tough job even tougher.

I'm not saying you have to sign up, or even read the thread. I know not everyone is interested in this information. I do the work I do for those who are interested. Why muck it up for them?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  19.3 KB

Mkaresh, I do believe you may have had permission from one of the mods some time ago who felt it was worthwhile and beneficial to all.
This may indeed still be the case, although it does seem to grind on other members. Having been here so long and been allowed to remain I can find no immediate reason to ask you to leave.

However, the harmony of the site is my main concern so i will keep an eye on this thread and posts relating to and we'll see how it goes.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Thanks, Jim. I have no desire to upset the harmony of the site. As much as I'd like to provide information on the S-Type, maybe it's best for me to post less often to this particular forum. Those for the X-Type and XF have been more enthusiastic.

If there are S-Type owners or potential owners who want coverage of the model sooner rather than later, then I imagine they can post to the thread.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  19.3 KB

A good attitude mkaresh, thank you.

Hopefully, any members who wish to participate can and those that don't will stay away and all will be well

Old 02-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I stand corrected and apologize for mis-interpreting this.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Try Googling "J.D. Powers survey". It should give you the UK results for reliability.
Leedsman.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 AM

Does J.D. Power survey older cars in the U.K.? In the U.S. they cover only the first 90 days and the first year.

If and when the S-Type is included in this survey, we'll provide results for all model years and update them four times a year.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

I think you should contact JD Powers yourself instead of expecting others to do your work.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Always so civil here.

I've checked out J.D. Power's UK survey in the past, and it doesn't appear to have improved. Their survey, conducted with What Car?, doesn't cover cars older than three years, and asks about satisfaction with reliability rather than reliability itself. Satisfaction is heavily dependent on expectations, so asking about satisfaction with reliability really muddies the waters.

No need to take my word for it. You'll find a similar critique here:

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/cars/arti...-survey/35923/

Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

No offence but I'm more interested in What Car?, Which Car? and so on than your surveys. And I've no interest in any of them intruding on this site every few months. Just my 2c.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:02 PM

You put your 2c in earlier.

I've been posting in this thread less often as a result.

I understand this is your opinion. Please understand that it is not everyone's opinion.

Is it really that hard for you to simply not click on the thread?

Old 05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,408 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Please leave and do not return. You are not wanted!!!

Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mkaresh
You put your 2c in earlier.

I've been posting in this thread less often as a result.
But now you're back.

Originally Posted by mkaresh
I understand this is your opinion. Please understand that it is not everyone's opinion.

Is it really that hard for you to simply not click on the thread?
Yeah, great. Thing is: you're not adding anything useful to the forum but your periodic posting does subtract from it.

Anyone who wants car survey data can google the net for it. They may even find your stuff. From the questions that were asked previously it's fairly clear your data isn't terribly valid, but who cares (apart from you).

Old 05-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some problems with establishing reliability of any modern and complex car:--
Trips to the 'shop'. A car could have many trips to the shop, but this could mean the mechanics don't know what they are doing with a partic. make/model. They might just be changing expensive parts *****-nilly without using a) Logical fault-finding techniques, b) Experience, c) Correct interpretation of fault codes, d) Not having appropriate equipment. All these I have encountered via my S-type Jag.and this website, and because of this website, I feel I know more than the average mechanic in Leeds.
The faults/problems YOU experience, versus those you read about from "surveys" and other people's experience in websites such as this. Over the last few cars I've had, most of the troubles have had nothing to do with "popular problems" if I can put it that way. The probs. have been the same as usual over the last 40 years. Example; Renault Megane card not working -- very pop! But not for me. Never failed. I did have clogged injectors though.
Just because a make/model SEEMS to be unreliable doesn't mean the one you buy is going to be a pain. Explanation; 5% of car A goes wrong in first year of use. 10% of car B goes wrong in 1st. year of use. Looks like "B" is only half as reliable as "A". But the difference for YOU is that 90% of "Bs" NEVER go wrong and 95% of "As" NEVER go wrong. And you're likely to be one of the 90% or 95% of the "never go wrongs" in each case. So the difference for you is minimal.
Buying a second-hand car. This is a special case as a statistic, but not in practical reality. Why? Just think, why does someone sell a car? Ok, they need the money -- I agree in some cases. Someone's died, car has to be sold -- ok again. BUT, in so many cases, there has been a build up of faults, usually subtle and involving the supervision by the engine management system et al. Or worse, maintenance has been neglected and covered up by a piece of chicanery on the part of the seller (fake provenance as regard stamps in the maintenance record etc.) So the very fact you are on this website and likely to be a second-hand buyer will bias statistics produced from here.
So... What do you do, how do you proceed, when it's YOUR money being risked buying a car? Are statistics, the impressions you get from a forum, going to be any good?
It's really a question of putting things in order and keeping your feet on the ground when you're in the real-life dynamic situation of choosing a car. Maybe the following could be a way to progress:--
1) Look at the individual car most specifically, rather than blanket-judging it on 'reputation' alone.
2) Remember there is going to be SOMETHING wrong with it. It's your job to figure out just what, and just HOW MUCH to fix. Oh, and how inconvenient that's going to be.
3) If you're not too hot around cars, take someone with you who IS, even if you have to pay them. A hundred dollars spent this way could save thousands later. And a huge amount of aggravation.
4) Don't fall in love with a car. Do that and the seller's got you by the short&curlies.
5) Take your wife/girlfriend with you to quietly assess the SELLER while you're assessing the car. Have a little conflab. out of earshot when appropriate and trade impressions.
A practical example in my case: I came across a tasty red S-type not too long ago at a really good price, although the mileage was a bit heavy. I assumed there would be something wrong, and there WAS. The autobox wasn't quite right. But it WAS a diesel, and immaculate. My trade-in car had a problem, but as the seller was a dealer, thought I'd let HIM find it out. After all, he never mentioned the autobox in the Jag. Took a risk and bought it with hard currency. Later, had the ATF fluid in the autobox replaced plus an additive, and everything has worked out fine, problems sorted. Only real prob. was finding someone to do the job (I couldn't do it, it needed a lift to get at it).
TTFN, Leedsman.

Quick Reply: Jaguar S-Type reliability -- let's get better info